Windows 10: Windows Explorer crashes when opening file in a program

Discus and support Windows Explorer crashes when opening file in a program in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My windows explorer crashes when I want to open a file from certain programs, for example vlc, chrome, sometimes even microsoft office programs. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Wagh_Rules, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Windows Explorer crashes when opening file in a program

My windows explorer crashes when I want to open a file from certain programs, for example vlc, chrome, sometimes even microsoft office programs.

It happens randomly. When i open vlc and try to open a file from there, a new search window opens which is just white and is not responding if I click on it. If I let it be it will go back to normal in a few minutes, but when I click on it it will crash.

I aldready launch the folder windows in a seperate process and I do not use quick access, but it did not really help.

I already re-installed my windows but it happened again after setting everything up.

It is super annoying since I cant really work without waiting for every file to open. Any ideas on how to fix this?

submitted by /u/Wagh_Rules
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Wagh_Rules, Mar 29, 2021

2. programs crash because of Windows Explorer

I've came to notice here recently, that when i open windows explorer via icon shortcut or windows key shortcut, it will crash certain programs. Like winamp and aim.

At first i thought it was some kind of conflict my objectdock was making, but it does it without objectdock running as well.

anyone else experience anything like this?

xstayxtruex, Mar 29, 2021
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 29, 2021
  4. jsmin Win User

Windows Explorer crashes when opening file in a program

Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Mar 29, 2021
Thema:

Windows Explorer crashes when opening file in a program

1. Windows Explorer crashes when opening file in a program - Similar Threads - Explorer crashes opening

2. Control Panel/Explorer crashes when opening Get Programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Control Panel/Explorer crashes when opening Get Programs: We have been gradually deploying Windows 11 within our environment and have run into an issue with the control panel. We deploy self service application installs via GPO with User Configuration > Policies > Software Settings > Software Installations. On Windows 10 it works...
  3. Control Panel/Explorer crashes when opening Get Programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Control Panel/Explorer crashes when opening Get Programs: We have been gradually deploying Windows 11 within our environment and have run into an issue with the control panel. We deploy self service application installs via GPO with User Configuration > Policies > Software Settings > Software Installations. On Windows 10 it works...
  4. Explorer.exe is crashing when file explorer is opened

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer.exe is crashing when file explorer is opened: I have windows11 22H2, today my file explorer stopped working, when i open it it just hangs and doesn't load the path section and then crashes explorer.exe, is there any way i can find out what causes this without reinstalling windows?Faulting application name: explorer.exe,...
  5. Explorer.exe is crashing when file explorer is opened

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explorer.exe is crashing when file explorer is opened: I have windows11 22H2, today my file explorer stopped working, when i open it it just hangs and doesn't load the path section and then crashes explorer.exe, is there any way i can find out what causes this without reinstalling windows?Faulting application name: explorer.exe,...
  6. Windows Explorer crashing when opening a folder with a music file on it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer crashing when opening a folder with a music file on it.: So i don't know why but since the last version of Windows 10, the Windows Explorer keeps crashing when opening a folder with a music file on it.This happens with a lot of music types: MP3, OGG, WAV etc......
  7. file explore crashes on opening

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    file explore crashes on opening: file explore is a fuckin bitch cant even boot my computer into safe mod because it just crashes and i refuse to reinstall windows what should I do submitted by /u/Pichumaster114 [link] [comments]...
  8. windows explorer crash when opening files windows.storage.dll

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows explorer crash when opening files windows.storage.dll: When some users opens the explorer and browse some folders it starts opening lots of new windows. Moreover if we open files like Word documents or pdf files than the explorer crashes and restarts. It seems to be a user related problem. If another user profiles uses the...
  9. Windows Explorer crashes when moving/opening files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer crashes when moving/opening files: Hi, I've been having a lot of trouble opening and files in windows explorer. Nearly every time I try to open or move a file, the folder it is in stops responding and eventually causes Windows Explorer to crash. With small files or at certain times, it doesn't happen. But it...
  10. Windows Explorer crashes when I open File Explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Explorer crashes when I open File Explorer: So whenever I click File Explorer on the taskbar or in the start menu, Windows Explorer crashes and I need to go into task manager and restart it. But if I click a folder on my desktop it doesn't crash? 56915