Windows 10: Windows Explorer Crashes when Opening files within one specific folder

Discus and support Windows Explorer Crashes when Opening files within one specific folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a folder for one of my classes, and every file within it not only fails to be opened, but the entire program stops responding altogether. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by VioletLightling, Sep 4, 2021.

1. Windows Explorer Crashes when Opening files within one specific folder

I have a folder for one of my classes, and every file within it not only fails to be opened, but the entire program stops responding altogether. It prevents me from uploading my completed assignments, and while I can open files from within Microsoft Word and such, I am entirely unable to interact with the files through Windows Explorer. It crashes every time, without fail. I've cleared the search cache, run the powershell process scf /scannow, restarted, updated my computer, ran several troubleshooting applications, and nothing has changed how bloody dysfunctional this file is. Help???

:)

VioletLightling, Sep 4, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 4, 2021
  3. Harvy Win User
    Windows explorer crashing

Hi,

I am having the same problem as the OP in this thread.
    Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

I have tried the fixes listed in the above thread and I am getting the same error message as 'ktadie' (post 16). I think this is because I am running Windows 7 Professional. Windows explorer crashes when I open my 'Films' folder on my brand new 2tb external HDD. I have about 300 .avi files in this folder and some of the .avi files are several years old.

In short I believe I need the same fix given by 'Wile E' (post 7) but updated for Windows 7 Professional.

Thanks in advance.

Harvy, Sep 4, 2021
  4. jsmin Win User

Windows Explorer Crashes when Opening files within one specific folder

Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Sep 4, 2021
Thema:

Windows Explorer Crashes when Opening files within one specific folder

1. Windows Explorer Crashes when Opening files within one specific folder - Similar Threads - Explorer Crashes Opening

2. Win10 - PhotoMetadataHandler.dll Faulting. File Explorer crashes when opening specific Folder.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 - PhotoMetadataHandler.dll Faulting. File Explorer crashes when opening specific Folder.: I have run into an issue with one of our computers at work. File Explorer is crashing every time I try to open a specific folder where the machine locally stores photos. When I open the folder, the images inside start loading, then it hangs for a few seconds and crashes File...
  3. Win10 - PhotoMetadataHandler.dll Faulting. File Explorer crashes when opening specific Folder.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win10 - PhotoMetadataHandler.dll Faulting. File Explorer crashes when opening specific Folder.: I have run into an issue with one of our computers at work. File Explorer is crashing every time I try to open a specific folder where the machine locally stores photos. When I open the folder, the images inside start loading, then it hangs for a few seconds and crashes File...
  4. Win10 - PhotoMetadataHandler.dll Faulting. File Explorer crashes when opening specific Folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows 11 File Explorer crashing specifically when opening the Home Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 File Explorer crashing specifically when opening the Home Folder: As the title said, my file explorer crashes when I open it's home folder, from my testing no other folders cause this issue. I changed my default file explorer page to My PC instead of Home to still be open to use the default File Explorer shortcut but I would like to be able...
  6. Windows 11 File Explorer crashing specifically when opening the Home Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 File Explorer crashing specifically when opening the Home Folder: As the title said, my file explorer crashes when I open it's home folder, from my testing no other folders cause this issue. I changed my default file explorer page to My PC instead of Home to still be open to use the default File Explorer shortcut but I would like to be able...
  7. File explorer crashes when moving emails to one specific location.

File explorer crashes when moving emails to one specific location.: Hello Everyone,Hopefully looking for some help with something that a customer is having issues with at the moment, so the issue is on a specific filepath on one of the servers when she goes to try and move an email file into this file path file explorer just crashes and dies...
  8. Files Explorer Crashes Upon Opening a Specific Folder

Files Explorer Crashes Upon Opening a Specific Folder: Files Explorer Windows Explorer crashes upon opening a specific folder.Q-Dir is able to open that folder.I did change Explorer to open that folder as documents instead of pictures. It didn't make any difference.Problem Details:SourceWindows ExplorerSummaryStopped...
  9. File Explorer crashes when opening particular folders .

File Explorer crashes when opening particular folders .: I tried everything available on Internet sfc /scannow chkdsk etc here is the error in event viewer... Fault bucket 1807279198899510965, type 4 Event Name: APPCRASH Response: Not available Cab Id: 0 Problem signature: P1: explorer.exe P2: 10.0.19041.662 P3: 996782f8 P4:...
  10. File explorer not responding when I open a specific folder

File explorer not responding when I open a specific folder: Hi, My file explore kept crashing when I try to open the download folder. No access issue with other folders, so I'm not sure what is going on. Thanks for the help....