Windows 10: Windows explorer crashes when opening the context menu

Discus and support Windows explorer crashes when opening the context menu in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; In windows 11's file explorer, whenever I open the context menu, it crashes. I've tried everything that I see in tutorials. Here's what I've tried;... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Samuel Hand, Nov 20, 2023.

1. Windows explorer crashes when opening the context menu

In windows 11's file explorer, whenever I open the context menu, it crashes. I've tried everything that I see in tutorials. Here's what I've tried; restarting windows explorer in task manager, the sfc scannow and DISM methods in command prompt, and clean booting and more. Is there something I'm missing? Because I really don't want to have to reinstall windows entirely.

:)

Samuel Hand, Nov 20, 2023
  2. dalchina Win User

Context Menu - Open With (Windows Suggested List)

Well.. have a look at this:
    Windows explorer crashes when opening the context menu 377575d1666287089t-context-menu-open-windows-suggested-list-gw-done.png
    I took a risk. I've set a System Restore point then installed Gold Wave. It was not present in that Open With list. I used the Default Programs Editor:
    Windows explorer crashes when opening the context menu 377576d1666287156t-context-menu-open-windows-suggested-list-gw1.jpg
    Did you click Save...? You should have seen:
    Windows explorer crashes when opening the context menu 377577d1666287188t-context-menu-open-windows-suggested-list-gw2.jpg
    Note: if you are running as a standard user you may need to run it as admin, if it doesn't offer a UAC prompt.
    Windows explorer crashes when opening the context menu 377578d1666287451t-context-menu-open-windows-suggested-list-1.jpg
    - opened via Open With as above.

dalchina, Nov 20, 2023
  3. Context Menu - Open With (Windows Suggested List)

OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 22H2 Diagram 'A' shows Windows' suggested programs Diagram 'B' shows the extended list I have been trying to edit the context menu's "Open with" list of Windows' suggested programs for the .mp3 extension. I'm not talking about the extended list, but rather the programs that first appear 'before' the "choose another app" option. If you look at Diagram 'A' you will see the preliminary list generated by Windows, this is the list I am looking to modify. I have an .mp3 editor named Goldwave that I use for editing audio files, however, I do not want to change the preliminary program Windows uses to open .mp3s. My .mp3s should remain assigned to Winamp Player. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Windows explorer crashes when opening the context menu 377543d1666238917t-context-menu-open-windows-suggested-list-.png

Windows explorer crashes when opening the context menu 377544d1666238917t-context-menu-open-windows-suggested-list-b.png

Bandit012345, Nov 20, 2023
  4. AndreePin Win User

Windows explorer crashes when opening the context menu

AndreePin, Nov 20, 2023
Thema:

Windows explorer crashes when opening the context menu

1. Windows explorer crashes when opening the context menu - Similar Threads - explorer crashes opening

2. Windows explorer crashes when opening the context menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows explorer crashes when opening the context menu: In windows 11's file explorer, whenever I open the context menu, it crashes. I've tried everything that I see in tutorials. Here's what I've tried; restarting windows explorer in task manager, the sfc scannow and DISM methods in command prompt, and clean booting and more. Is...
  3. explorer.exe crashes when opening context menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    explorer.exe crashes when opening context menu: Hello,I have been having issues with my computer, this may be an outlier case but just in case not. Maybe someone could take a look at this since the faulty module is Windows.UI.Xaml.dllThe issue: Anytime I right click on a folder, or file, explorer.exe crashes. Doesn't crash...
  4. explorer.exe crashes when opening context menu

explorer.exe crashes when opening context menu: Hello,I have been having issues with my computer, this may be an outlier case but just in case not. Maybe someone could take a look at this since the faulty module is Windows.UI.Xaml.dllThe issue: Anytime I right click on a folder, or file, explorer.exe crashes. Doesn't crash...
  5. Windows 11 Explorer crashing on Context menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Explorer crashing on Context menu: After updating from Windows 10 all worked perfect to Windows 11 the Explorer looks different in case of reduced menus. But on advanced menu, I can see old and default context entries like on 7Zip again. Unfortunately the Explorer crashes as soon as I click right on a zip...
  6. Windows 11 Explorer crashing on Context menu

Windows 11 Explorer crashing on Context menu: After updating from Windows 10 all worked perfect to Windows 11 the Explorer looks different in case of reduced menus. But on advanced menu, I can see old and default context entries like on 7Zip again. Unfortunately the Explorer crashes as soon as I click right on a zip...
  7. 'Open With' in context menu crashes File Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    'Open With' in context menu crashes File Explorer: I have also lost all thumbnail previews for images. I have tried a bunch of things i found on the internet but none have worked. I did recently uninstall a few programs i no longer use. One of them caused an error preventing me from doing a system restore. I reinstalled the...
  8. Windows explorer lagging and crashing occasionally and context menu freezes on "open with"....

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows explorer lagging and crashing occasionally and context menu freezes on "open with"....: Don't know if it was a coincidence or not but said problem started about three days ago after installing VLC (yes official site) and uninstalling it after noticing the issues and some file associations I didn't want with it. Did full scans with Windows Defender and...
  9. Windows explorer lagging and crashing occasionally and context menu freezes on "open with"...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows explorer lagging and crashing occasionally and context menu freezes on "open with"...: Did full scans with Windows Defender and Malware-bytes and everything is clear, SFC /SCANNOW doesn't find any problems and I'm still having crashing and freezing issues. For all intents and purposes VLC was downloaded off the official site CPU Intel Core i7-9700F RAM...
  10. File Explorer crashes when "New" in context menu is highlighted

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer crashes when "New" in context menu is highlighted: Hello, I having this problem since I upgraded from Windows 10 1803 (official release) to Windows 10 Insider / Preview Build 17744.rs5_release_180818-1845 I've tried ShellExView and disabled all non-Microsoft Shell Extensions as seen on print this print...