Windows 10: Windows Explorer crashes when renaming files with a certain extension, ignores attempts to...

Discus and support Windows Explorer crashes when renaming files with a certain extension, ignores attempts to... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm currently facing a problem in Windows 10 where any files with the extension .ogg completely lock up in Explorer. This only started recently, and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CaptainTeo, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Windows Explorer crashes when renaming files with a certain extension, ignores attempts to...

I'm currently facing a problem in Windows 10 where any files with the extension .ogg completely lock up in Explorer. This only started recently, and I was able to handle these files completely normally until then. If I try to rename them, Explorer freezes and I have to restart it. If I try to delete them (either moving them to Recycle Bin or with the Permanently Delete option), nothing happens whatsoever. Oddly, I can make a copy of the file in the same folder or any other folder, but I can't move the file - that just brings up the move dialogue, which hangs on 0% until I restart Explorer. Windows can open the file just fine, however - double-clicking on it opens it in the default program that I have set for Ogg files and plays them normally.

If I save an Ogg file with any other extension (test.abc or test.mp3 instead of test.ogg, for example), Explorer handles it completely normally and can rename or delete it. If I then change that name to have the .ogg extension, Windows starts handling it as described, ignoring or freezing when I try to do anything to it. Conversely, if I take a file that isn't an Ogg file (such as an image file that was saved as test.png), I can rename it to test.ogg and Windows actually will be able to rename or delete it, which has me even more confused. While testing this, I also found that Ogg files saved as [file].ogx also lock up in the same way, despite not being saved as [file].ogg.

The same thing happens with folders - I can't delete or rename a folder that contains Ogg-encoded files with the .ogg extension. This extends to files and folders created before I started having this problem, not just new ones that I've made during this time.

I don't get any error messages from this, including the "file cannot be found" one that people with similar problems mention.

I've never come across a problem like this in all of my time using any version of Windows. It started a few weeks ago when I was trying to render an Ogg version of a collection of Wav files for some audio work, made a mistake with one of them (I just had the wrong part of the audio selected when I exported it - nothing that should cause system-wide problems like this) and tried to delete it to redo it, and found that I couldn't. I've currently had to postpone the work that I'm doing until I can get this fixed, and have entire folders sitting in the work directory that I currently can't use or remove because of it. I have previously worked with Ogg files on this PC and installation of Windows before without problems, so this is something that's come up recently, but I can't think of any changes that I could have made that might have caused this. I've tried searching on and off for the last few weeks for information on how to fix it, but haven't been able to find anything that's relevant to this specific case. If I can get some help to fix this, I'd really appreciate it.

Specs:
    OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit (latest updates installed on 11th October 2019)
    Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX AM4
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz
    RAM: 32 GB DDR4
    GPU: NVidia GeForce 1660 Ti 6 GB
    Please let me know if you need any other information.

:)

CaptainTeo, Oct 14, 2019
  2. dalchina Win User

How to rename multiple sorted files while ignoring file extensions

Hi, suggest you play with this (or similar) - free for personal use, donationware.

Windows Explorer crashes when renaming files with a certain extension, ignores attempts to... [​IMG]

dalchina, Oct 14, 2019
  3. mixa Win User
    Microsoft Internet Explorer renamed to Windows Internet Explorer ?

Windows Explorer crashes when renaming files with a certain extension, ignores attempts to... wie1.png

Since version 7 of the world`s most popular web browser - Microsoft Internet Explorer was silently renamed to Windows Internet Explorer.Such a step from Microsoft is not a surprise since Internet Explorer is part of the Windows operation system for a long time.Obviously Microsoft corp. wants to state that Internet Explorer is already considered as a part of Windows and not as an external browser (remember the IE and WMP law issues last year!?).

4. Windows Explorer crashes when renaming files with a certain extension, ignores attempts to...

How to rename multiple sorted files while ignoring file extensions

I have a problem with the batch rename feature in Windows 10. This is when you select multiple files, right click and select "rename" and then type in the new name into the first file's name field. This will make all selected files the name you typed in with an "(X)" after it. For example, a folder with the files "abc.txt", "123.txt" and "Null.txt" batch renamed "File" would become "File (1).txt", "File (2).txt" and "File (3).txt" respectively.

The problem that I am having is when you use this feature on files of different types. If the files in that same folder were "abc.jpg", "123.mp3" and "Null.txt" and I did the same rename, all files would be named the same thing like "File.jpg", "File.mp3" and "File.txt".

Is there any way to select all files in a folder of different types and batch rename them to all have "File (X)" instead of having duplicates?

The actual reason I want to do this is for my photos. I have folders of photos of both jpg and png types and I want to sort them by date and name them "Image" so that all files will be named "Image (X)" sorted by date. When I do this though, I have duplicate "Image (1)" etc. because of the multiple file extensions. Is there any way to fix this?

Here are some pictures further explaining what I am talking about:

Windows Explorer crashes when renaming files with a certain extension, ignores attempts to... [​IMG]

Microsoft256, Oct 14, 2019
Thema:

Windows Explorer crashes when renaming files with a certain extension, ignores attempts to...

1. Windows Explorer crashes when renaming files with a certain extension, ignores attempts to... - Similar Threads - Explorer crashes renaming

2. Windows Explorer crashing when adding, removing or renaming files and folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer crashing when adding, removing or renaming files and folders: Hello,I have windows 11, windows explorer is lagging and crashing when I download a file or creating a folder or removing/ renaming file/folder, but when windows explorer is lagging I can open the browser or continue the work I was doing.What the problem here? and how I can...
  3. Windows Explorer crashing when adding, removing or renaming files and folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer crashing when adding, removing or renaming files and folders: Hello,I have windows 11, windows explorer is lagging and crashing when I download a file or creating a folder or removing/ renaming file/folder, but when windows explorer is lagging I can open the browser or continue the work I was doing.What the problem here? and how I can...
  4. Windows Explorer keeps crashing when attempting move or copy files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer keeps crashing when attempting move or copy files: Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exeProblem signatureProblem Event Name: APPCRASHApplication Name: Explorer.EXEApplication Version: 10.0.19041.1110Application Timestamp: e86d289eFault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dllFault Module Version: 10.0.19041.1110Fault Module...
  5. File Explorer crashes when attempting to copy files from camera

File Explorer crashes when attempting to copy files from camera: I have been trying to copy files from my digital camera but when I attempt to paste in a local folder, File Explorer crashes and refuses to allow me to make the transfer. This has happened several times recently over multiple days I have restarted the computer several times....
  6. [TESTING IGNORE] explorer crashes'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    [TESTING IGNORE] explorer crashes': reasonexplorer issues not resolved https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/testing-ignore-explorer-crashes/13192d8f-9b0a-4f3c-a3e1-42be69a926b2
  7. Windows Explorer crashing when right clicking certain files.

Windows Explorer crashing when right clicking certain files.: Hello, I have a weird issue with windows 10 that makes windows explorer crash when right clicking a mp3 file. The log says: Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe Problem signature Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: explorer.exe Application...
  8. Windows Explorer specifically file explorer Crashing when Attempting to Eject a USB Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Explorer specifically file explorer Crashing when Attempting to Eject a USB Drive: Hello, I was encountering a strange problem where I was in File Explorer trying to eject a plugged in USB device. I tried to right click the device, and it stopped responding and crashed. After it started doing this every single time, I realized there was a bit of a...
  9. How to rename multiple sorted files while ignoring file extensions

in Windows 10 Support
    How to rename multiple sorted files while ignoring file extensions: I have a problem with the batch rename feature in Windows 10. This is when you select multiple files, right click and select "rename" and then type in the new name into the first file's name field. This will make all selected files the name you typed in with an "(X)" after...
  10. File Explorer crashing when trying to rename folders

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer crashing when trying to rename folders: First off. Apologies if this is in the wrong forum *Redface So I have had Windows 10 for a couple of months now, and have never had any issues up until now. Whenever I try to rename a folder/ add new folder file explorer freezes as soon as i touch the keyboard. I've...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file explorer win 10 crashes when rename file