Windows 10: Windows Explorer Crashes when using search function across network

Discus and support Windows Explorer Crashes when using search function across network in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I have recently been tasked with upgrading my office to Windows 10 Professional from Windows 7. For a few weeks we encountered just minor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cahr, Jun 28, 2016.

1. cahr Win User

Windows Explorer Crashes when using search function across network

Hello,

I have recently been tasked with upgrading my office to Windows 10 Professional from Windows 7. For a few weeks we encountered just minor bugs mostly caused by software compatibility. Recently however, I have found that some computers in the office (not all) generate a Visual C++ runtime error when one attempts to use the search function in file explorer. However, this error does not occur when the computer searches its own C drive, but rather when it tries to search a shared drive on our server. The server runs Windows Server 8 (2012). The odd thing about this problem is that it seemed to develop over time. At first, the computers would display "Working on it..." while they attempted to search the shared drive for minutes before the user prompted to back out. But now, the search function produces the runtime error and kills the file explorer, as well as causing a black screen for a brief moment.

I have tried using autoruns to disable all the extensions to the file explorer shell to no avail. I have also attempted to search in safe mode and the same error occurs.

Thanks for your help.

:)

2. m7onks Win User

Explorer problems in Windows 10 Pro (Search function, explorer crash)

I've got the following two problems regarding the file explorer in Windows 10 Pro:

Search function does not work on one drive

I have two drives in my PC: One SSD (on which Windows is installed). The search function works fine here.

On the second, "normal" drive the explorer search function does produce any results even when just entering one character or when entering a filename which clearly exists in the directory. The search function next to the start button seems to work though.

I did try rebuilding the index, but it did not help.

Explorer crashes

Also, the explorer crashed a couple of times, killing all instances of the explorer. This did not result in a system restart and I was possible to restart the explorer afterwards.

Running

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware,

IObit Advanced SystemCare 9,

and Avira Anti-Virus

did not result in any problems, malware, etc.

Thanks for any help,

best wishes,

m

m7onks, Jun 28, 2016
  3. File explorer crashes while searching a certain term in the search bar

While searching for a file named "advance" in a network drive, the file explorer crashes and closes automatically. This happens only when the search reaches a particular folder in the directory which contains so many files and folders. I have done the
    search on the said folder and now it crashes when the search term reaches "ad". I tried other terms which works fine. And everything works fine outside this folder.

What I believe is happening, when the search reaches a certain file the file explorer crashes. Please help

Thanks in advance

9feeea6d-4381-47ff-b7c5-6308419054c5, Jun 28, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

What version of Windows 10 are you one and what build level?
    Are all updates applied?

Ztruker, Jun 30, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows Explorer Crashes when using search function across network - Similar Threads - Explorer Crashes using

2. Search function in Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search function in Explorer: When I search in Explorer for something, i get a list of the files which contain that search item. However, I need to know in which folder those files are and I can't see any way of establishing that without actually opening the files. I want to be able to establish in which...
  3. Search function in Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search function in Explorer: When I search in Explorer for something, i get a list of the files which contain that search item. However, I need to know in which folder those files are and I can't see any way of establishing that without actually opening the files. I want to be able to establish in which...
  4. Search function in Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Search functions not working across Windows Products

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search functions not working across Windows Products: I have an issue whereby none of the search functions respond on my laptop which is running windows 10. The search bar pinned to desktop, not in the folder tree nor in word for example via ctrl+alt+delete. I have followed all the fixes I can find here troubleshooter and...
  6. Search functions not working across Windows Products

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search functions not working across Windows Products: I have an issue whereby none of the search functions respond on my laptop which is running windows 10. The search bar pinned to desktop, not in the folder tree nor in word for example via ctrl+alt+delete. I have followed all the fixes I can find here troubleshooter and...
  7. Search functions not working across Windows Products

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. windows explorer crashing when searching for files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows explorer crashing when searching for files: this started happening only a few days ago, and i havent been able to find out why at all, its very annoying because im trying to find files that i want to use and everytime i search for them windows explorer crashes halfway through the search, ive looked at several answers...
  9. After network login the explorer crashes in function GetFlagsAndCleanIconString

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    After network login the explorer crashes in function GetFlagsAndCleanIconString: Hello, we have a strange problem with one of our PCs. Few days after installing Windows 10 2004 the explorer starts to crash when a user logins with a domain account. With a local account everthing ist fine. Restarting the explorer with the task manager shows for two...
  10. Windows Explorer search box not functional

in Cortana
    Windows Explorer search box not functional: This is slightly different to the error reported by others. Most of the time, even earlier today, I could type something into the search box in Windows Explorer. I’m a little annoyed that I now have to click an extra button to get it to search, but that’s not the error....