Windows 10: Windows Explorer crashes

Discus and support Windows Explorer crashes in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Sometimes it works, sometimes it crashes. I am viewing two windows and moving files from one to another. Hangs up, I close the window, crash. Pls... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ArleneGioia, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Windows Explorer crashes

Sometimes it works, sometimes it crashes. I am viewing two windows and moving files from one to another. Hangs up, I close the window, crash. Pls advise. Windows 10 Surface

:)

ArleneGioia, Sep 26, 2020
  2. Harvy Win User

Windows explorer crashing

Hi,

I am having the same problem as the OP in this thread.
    Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

I have tried the fixes listed in the above thread and I am getting the same error message as 'ktadie' (post 16). I think this is because I am running Windows 7 Professional. Windows explorer crashes when I open my 'Films' folder on my brand new 2tb external HDD. I have about 300 .avi files in this folder and some of the .avi files are several years old.

In short I believe I need the same fix given by 'Wile E' (post 7) but updated for Windows 7 Professional.

Thanks in advance.

Harvy, Sep 26, 2020
  3. jsmin Win User
    Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Sep 26, 2020
  4. peach1971 Win User

Windows Explorer crashes

all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Sep 26, 2020
Thema:

Windows Explorer crashes

1. Windows Explorer crashes - Similar Threads - Explorer crashes

2. File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click: When I'm in File Explorer and have a selection of files highlighted, I right click for the context menu, but as soon as I select the 'Show More Option' item within that menu, File Explorer pauses for a second, force closes and promptly restarts.I have tried clearing the File...
  3. File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click: When I'm in File Explorer and have a selection of files highlighted, I right click for the context menu, but as soon as I select the 'Show More Option' item within that menu, File Explorer pauses for a second, force closes and promptly restarts.I have tried clearing the File...
  4. File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click: When I'm in File Explorer and have a selection of files highlighted, I right click for the context menu, but as soon as I select the 'Show More Option' item within that menu, File Explorer pauses for a second, force closes and promptly restarts....
  5. File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click: When I'm in File Explorer and have a selection of files highlighted, I right click for the context menu, but as soon as I select the 'Show More Option' item within that menu, File Explorer pauses for a second, force closes and promptly restarts....
  6. File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click

8. File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click

9. File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click

10. Whenever I open any Folder in File Explorer, the tab goes to Not Responding and crashes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Whenever I open any Folder in File Explorer, the tab goes to Not Responding and crashes.: I am on a Windows 11 PC and this is making it so I cannot access any of my files. I have tried restarting both the file explorer and my computer various times as well as when I try to recover to a recent backup, I am met with a 0x80070017 error. I have two recovery dates...