Windows 10: Windows explorer crashing and restarting continuously on startup

Discus and support Windows explorer crashing and restarting continuously on startup in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello This afternoon I had my laptop standing by itself for maybe half an hour, when I got back to it, it had restarted and now when I log on it gets... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Icy_troll93, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Windows explorer crashing and restarting continuously on startup

Hello

This afternoon I had my laptop standing by itself for maybe half an hour, when I got back to it, it had restarted and now when I log on it gets maybe 2 seconds into starting up whatever programs are set to start up, and then Windows Explorer crashes, the screen goes black for a second, it tries to start up the programs again and the process repeats.

I can access the task manager via crtl+alt+delete, and this window keeps on working when the startup procedure is continuously repeated. I can't access Settings because the start menu doesn't appear when I press the windows-key, and Run doesn't appear when I press windows-key+x.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

- Jens

:)

Icy_troll93, Nov 7, 2019
  2. Anne Ros Win User

Windows Explorer Crash

Thank you for your reply. If the above steps did not work, let's try another workaround. You can try restarting your Windows Explorer from the Task Manager and see if it will resolve the issue. Follow the steps below:

• Open Task Manager.
    • Click the drop-down arrow beside More details.
    • Under Processes tab, look for Windows Explorer from the list.
    • Select Windows Explorer, right-click on it and select Restart.

After doing so, open Windows Explorer and see if it will crash again.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Anne Ros, Nov 7, 2019
  3. Avedis53 Win User
    Can't get GPU-Z to start with Windows 8.1 startup

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you list the steps for a noob?

Avedis53, Nov 7, 2019
  4. Harvy Win User

Windows explorer crashing and restarting continuously on startup

Windows explorer crashing

Hi,

I am having the same problem as the OP in this thread.
    Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

I have tried the fixes listed in the above thread and I am getting the same error message as 'ktadie' (post 16). I think this is because I am running Windows 7 Professional. Windows explorer crashes when I open my 'Films' folder on my brand new 2tb external HDD. I have about 300 .avi files in this folder and some of the .avi files are several years old.

In short I believe I need the same fix given by 'Wile E' (post 7) but updated for Windows 7 Professional.

Thanks in advance.

Harvy, Nov 7, 2019
Thema:

Windows explorer crashing and restarting continuously on startup

1. Windows explorer crashing and restarting continuously on startup - Similar Threads - explorer crashing restarting

2. Windows explorer continues to hang and crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows explorer continues to hang and crash: For months now Windows 11 Explorer has been both hanging and crashing. I have provided feedback via Feedback Hub here https://aka.ms/AAlglrr - please upvote if you have the same issue. I have implemented all the usual fixes from clearing cache, deleting automatic and custom...
  3. Windows explorer continues to hang and crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows explorer continues to hang and crash: For months now Windows 11 Explorer has been both hanging and crashing. I have provided feedback via Feedback Hub here https://aka.ms/AAlglrr - please upvote if you have the same issue. I have implemented all the usual fixes from clearing cache, deleting automatic and custom...
  4. Windows continuously restarts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows continuously restarts: I have a Dell AIO desktop running Windows 10 21H1 19043.1288. Recently it started to restart itself when I click on shut down. That is, it would shutdown, then immediately restart itself. Only way to prevent this is to unplug the computer.Suggestions?Mike T in VA...
  5. Windows continuously restarts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows continuously restarts: I have a Dell AIO desktop running Windows 10 21H1 19043.1288. Recently it started to restart itself when I click on shut down. That is, it would shutdown, then immediately restart itself. Only way to prevent this is to unplug the computer.Suggestions?Mike T in VA...
  6. Windows explorer crashing on startup + more

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows explorer crashing on startup + more: Hello, I've had this computer for the better part of 2 years now and its only been a month since everything seemed to begin to go wrong. At first I encountered an issue where I booted my computer up and I was welcomed with a black screen and a functional cursor. I thought it...
  7. Windows Explorer crashing on startup

Windows Explorer crashing on startup: Recently I started having an issue where Windows Explorer would crash when starting Windows. The task bar would not load and would only show the Windows button which would not work when clicked on.Sometimes the problem would resolve by restarting the Windows Explorer process...
  8. Continually having to restart Windows Explorer.

Continually having to restart Windows Explorer.: I get the issue where I can't left- or right-click on objects in the taskbar. I know I have to restart this pesky application in order to resolve the issue, but I am having to restart numerous times during a browsing session or when trying to perform tasks, such as opening...
  9. Explorer crashing on startup

Explorer crashing on startup: Hi, Running Windows 10 Home 64-bit 1909. When Windows starts, explorer crashes every 1 secondish roughly 20 times before it stops crashing and loads properly. I cant find much about it online so hopefully someone can help? I've tried disabling all my startup programs...
  10. Windows Explorer crash/restarting

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer crash/restarting: For a few weeks now I've had issues with windows explorer crashing/restarting every hour, sometimes more. When ever i check event view it always shows. Did a fresh install today to see if it would stopped but it happened again right after I installed Intel Chipset drivers. (...