Windows 10: Windows Explorer crashing over and over

Discus and support Windows Explorer crashing over and over in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; So, an error I've had for a few days. It happens no matter what even if no processes are running. The Explorer app crashes and the task bar goes away... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by dragonknightzero, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Windows Explorer crashing over and over

So, an error I've had for a few days. It happens no matter what even if no processes are running. The Explorer app crashes and the task bar goes away and returns a few seconds later. My system tray is empty and this usually causes some graphical annoyances when it happens as well. I've left it running while reading nearby and able able to see the screen flash every few minutes when it happens. Not sure how to fix this, below is the error log from Event Viewer. Issue isn't preventing me from doing anything or crashing but it's just causing some stress and emptying the system tray is a little inconvenient.

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 10.0.17134.858, time stamp: 0x407a5e89

Faulting module name: peopleband.dll, version: 10.0.17134.1, time stamp: 0xa2bacaed

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000000000022a17

Faulting process id: 0xf210

Faulting application start time: 0x01d54612a4da98d6

Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\peopleband.dll

Report Id: fe96f228-9f24-4377-a9ed-88947decaa26

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

:)

dragonknightzero, Jul 29, 2019
  2. Harvy Win User

Windows explorer crashing

Hi,

I am having the same problem as the OP in this thread.
    Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

I have tried the fixes listed in the above thread and I am getting the same error message as 'ktadie' (post 16). I think this is because I am running Windows 7 Professional. Windows explorer crashes when I open my 'Films' folder on my brand new 2tb external HDD. I have about 300 .avi files in this folder and some of the .avi files are several years old.

In short I believe I need the same fix given by 'Wile E' (post 7) but updated for Windows 7 Professional.

Thanks in advance.

Harvy, Jul 29, 2019
  3. jsmin Win User
    Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Jul 29, 2019
  4. peach1971 Win User

Windows Explorer crashing over and over

all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Jul 29, 2019
Thema:

Windows Explorer crashing over and over

1. Windows Explorer crashing over and over - Similar Threads - Explorer crashing

2. Control Panel/Explorer crashes when opening Get Programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Control Panel/Explorer crashes when opening Get Programs: We have been gradually deploying Windows 11 within our environment and have run into an issue with the control panel. We deploy self service application installs via GPO with User Configuration > Policies > Software Settings > Software Installations. On Windows 10 it works...
  3. Control Panel/Explorer crashes when opening Get Programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Control Panel/Explorer crashes when opening Get Programs: We have been gradually deploying Windows 11 within our environment and have run into an issue with the control panel. We deploy self service application installs via GPO with User Configuration > Policies > Software Settings > Software Installations. On Windows 10 it works...
  4. File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click: When I'm in File Explorer and have a selection of files highlighted, I right click for the context menu, but as soon as I select the 'Show More Option' item within that menu, File Explorer pauses for a second, force closes and promptly restarts.I have tried clearing the File...
  5. File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click: When I'm in File Explorer and have a selection of files highlighted, I right click for the context menu, but as soon as I select the 'Show More Option' item within that menu, File Explorer pauses for a second, force closes and promptly restarts....
  6. File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click: When I'm in File Explorer and have a selection of files highlighted, I right click for the context menu, but as soon as I select the 'Show More Option' item within that menu, File Explorer pauses for a second, force closes and promptly restarts....
  7. File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click

File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click: When I'm in File Explorer and have a selection of files highlighted, I right click for the context menu, but as soon as I select the 'Show More Option' item within that menu, File Explorer pauses for a second, force closes and promptly restarts.I have tried clearing the File...
  8. File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click

9. File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click

10. File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows Explorer crashing over and over

2. tilerepositorys-1-5-18: error 1023

3. 1903 explorer crashing