Windows 10: Windows explorer crashing randomly

Discus and support Windows explorer crashing randomly in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So when I'm playing games or just browsing the web, sometimes everything just suddenly freezes. This issue is especially noticeable when playing games... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Darciukas, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Darciukas Win User

Windows explorer crashing randomly

So when I'm playing games or just browsing the web, sometimes everything just suddenly freezes. This issue is especially noticeable when playing games like Valorant, the game might just randomly freeze and when I tab out I notice that the taskbar is frozen as well and after a bit of time it just disappears completely and then reappears soon after almost like clicking Restart on Windows Explorer in task manager. And when I'm just using the computed for work reasons, everything might just freeze and I might be able to switch applications for a bit of time, but later the taskbar freezes again a

:)

Darciukas, Apr 11, 2022

2. media player/internet explorer randomly crashes

i have had my computer going for about 5 months, and at times divx, windows media player, winamp, and internet explorer will randomly crash on me, i can play everquest for days, and any other game i got doesn't crash, everything seems to work fine except those programs, does anybody have any idea what this might be.

psychomage343, Apr 11, 2022
  3. Harvy Win User
    Windows explorer crashing

Hi,

I am having the same problem as the OP in this thread.
    Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

I have tried the fixes listed in the above thread and I am getting the same error message as 'ktadie' (post 16). I think this is because I am running Windows 7 Professional. Windows explorer crashes when I open my 'Films' folder on my brand new 2tb external HDD. I have about 300 .avi files in this folder and some of the .avi files are several years old.

In short I believe I need the same fix given by 'Wile E' (post 7) but updated for Windows 7 Professional.

Thanks in advance.

Harvy, Apr 11, 2022
  4. jsmin Win User

Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Apr 11, 2022
Thema:

1. Windows explorer crashing randomly - Similar Threads - explorer crashing randomly

2. random explorer crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    random explorer crash: Hello.I'm using Windows 11 22H2 build 22623.1095 insider canal beta on a LAPTOP with an ASUS X570-P Mother board, a Ryzen 3900 processor and a RTX 2070 GPU. My explorer often crashes no error msg, I only see the restart of task bar and brief screen flickering.It happens...
  3. random explorer crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    random explorer crash: Hello.I'm using Windows 11 22H2 build 22623.1095 insider canal beta on a LAPTOP with an ASUS X570-P Mother board, a Ryzen 3900 processor and a RTX 2070 GPU. My explorer often crashes no error msg, I only see the restart of task bar and brief screen flickering.It happens...
  4. Explorer crashes and restarts randomly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explorer crashes and restarts randomly: HiMy explorer crashes and restarts randomly every 2-5 minutesIm using win 10 ver 21H1 19043.1706I'v tried DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth, sfc /scannow,chkdsk /f /r /clear all temp filesscan for virusesClean startupNothing workedAny help please?...
  5. Explorer crashes and restarts randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Explorer crashes and restarts randomly: HiMy explorer crashes and restarts randomly every 2-5 minutesIm using win 10 ver 21H1 19043.1706I'v tried DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth, sfc /scannow,chkdsk /f /r /clear all temp filesscan for virusesClean startupNothing workedAny help please?...
  6. Explorer crashes and restarts randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Windows explorer crashing randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows explorer crashing randomly: So when I'm playing games or just browsing the web, sometimes everything just suddenly freezes. This issue is especially noticeable when playing games like Valorant, the game might just randomly freeze and when I tab out I notice that the taskbar is frozen as well and after a...
  8. Windows explorer crashing randomly

Windows explorer crashing randomly: So when I'm playing games or just browsing the web, sometimes everything just suddenly freezes. This issue is especially noticeable when playing games like Valorant, the game might just randomly freeze and when I tab out I notice that the taskbar is frozen as well and after a...
  9. Explorer crashing randomly

Explorer crashing randomly: Hello,explorer crashes when i try to open explorer or when i right click a file.Its been crashing since i got the computer. i tried some of the solutions i found but couldnt fix it -i used sfc/scannow,it says there are no corrupted files -i looked at event manager and...
  10. Random Explorer Crash

in Windows 10 Support
    Random Explorer Crash: Curious to know if someone can point me in the right direction of figuring out a random Explorer.exe crash. I've checked in event viewer and can't seem to pin point it. Looking for suggestions. Pasted below is the error and information levels found withing Event Viewer under...