Windows 10: Windows Explorer Crashing when opening Documents and Downloads

Discus and support Windows Explorer Crashing when opening Documents and Downloads in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My Windows Explorer is crashing out without an error popup whenever it opens the Download folder. For Documents it will stay open for a few seconds and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DanielRoberts6, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Windows Explorer Crashing when opening Documents and Downloads

My Windows Explorer is crashing out without an error popup whenever it opens the Download folder. For Documents it will stay open for a few seconds and work fine, then crash without a popup.

All other files work fine so far, just these two. It also causes issues with programs that Save As to these folders as these will hang out.

Any ideas of how to go about fixing this?

:)

DanielRoberts6, Jun 9, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 9, 2019
  3. Zero Ice Win User
    Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

So, I open up My Computer, open my F Drive and boom: "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must close". It is really annoying! I am fine everywhere else in explorer, but something just screws up when I try the external HDD (USB) or my thumb drive.

Can anyone help?

Zero Ice, Jun 9, 2019
  4. jsmin Win User

Windows Explorer Crashing when opening Documents and Downloads

Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Jun 9, 2019
Thema:

Windows Explorer Crashing when opening Documents and Downloads

1. Windows Explorer Crashing when opening Documents and Downloads - Similar Threads - Explorer Crashing opening

2. File Explorer freezes when opening Word Documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer freezes when opening Word Documents: Hi. I've been having a problem with my File Explorer freezing every time I click on, or try to open or rename, a Word document. Status bar shows 'Not Responding'. To get out of it I can just close it with the 'x' button which takes a few seconds and makes the taskbar and...
  3. File explorer crashes when opening downloads folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer crashes when opening downloads folder: Hello,When I open file explorer, and I go to the downloads folder, the system app crashes. When it does, I have to stop it using task manager. It also causes other problems with the system, like my laptop screen going white, I have a monitor, and my taskbar not coming up, I...
  4. Downloading documents with internet explorer

Downloading documents with internet explorer: Hi. When I was downloading documents I accidently clicked open with internet explorer always. And now I can't get rid of it. My question is how do I turn it back to the default settings so it doesn't open with internet explorer?...
  5. Explorer crashing when opening images

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Explorer crashing when opening images: Sometimes when I try opening an image it completely freezes, opens up empty, struggles to be closed etc... and ends up crashing the entire explorer (the taskbar resets etc.) and then it's all good to go. I had this problem on my previous computer too and just recently got a...
  6. file explorer crash when opening download folder

file explorer crash when opening download folder: Hi. I have some problem when I Open my download folder from D: drive already check the error and it's said Description A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows. Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe Problem signature Problem Event...
  7. Windows Explorer Stops Responding when opening a file in Documents

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Explorer Stops Responding when opening a file in Documents: My friend recently backed up some files with Onedrive. The files that he has backed up are opening in the Onedrive itself but when he's trying to open the original files in the Documents folder, windows explorer stops responding and he has to close the folder. The same is...
  8. Windows Explorer Crashes when opening Word documents from OneDrive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer Crashes when opening Word documents from OneDrive: Hi all I have an issue with my OneDrive in Windows Explorer. Whenever I try to open a Word doc from my OneDrive via Windows Explorer, Windows Explorer crashes, becoming unresponsive. This happens even if I select a Word document (i.e. clicking once). This does not happen if...
  9. Windows 10 crashes when opening explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 crashes when opening explorer: i think it happens when i stress out my pc too much, but the thing is, it seems that even opening explorer (mycomputer, other folders) triggers it, and i dont think that should happen. when it does, it keeps rebooting, sometimes for 20 minutes. it doesnt get to the windows...
  10. Windows Explorer crashes when I open File Explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Explorer crashes when I open File Explorer: So whenever I click File Explorer on the taskbar or in the start menu, Windows Explorer crashes and I need to go into task manager and restart it. But if I click a folder on my desktop it doesn't crash? 56915