Windows 10: Windows Explorer, desktop and all file explorer windows, crashing

Discus and support Windows Explorer, desktop and all file explorer windows, crashing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was recently just using my computer, browsing files, moving stuff about when the entire desktop crashes and restarts as it does when that happens.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ADAMPOKE111, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Windows Explorer, desktop and all file explorer windows, crashing

I was recently just using my computer, browsing files, moving stuff about when the entire desktop crashes and restarts as it does when that happens. This has never happened before and I've not modified the shell recently at all, hence I'm slightly concerned to what actually caused it. I looked through the event log and found these two logs:

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 10.0.14393.953, time stamp: 0x58ba5aa4
    Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000000001530fd8
    Faulting process ID: 0x2218
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d2b35498f683b3
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
    Faulting module path: unknown
    Report ID: 94bc6da4-5edb-481f-a655-439fc60684b7
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

Fault bucket , type 0
    Event Name: BEX64
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: explorer.exe
    P2: 10.0.14393.953
    P3: 58ba5aa4
    P4: StackHash_4c24
    P5: 0.0.0.0
    P6: 00000000
    P7: PCH_C0_FROM_ntdll+0x00000000000A6C24
    P8: c0000005
    P9: 0000000000000008
    P10:

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_explorer.exe_8bb149ddd3663435edef1b134828f f2d4d2dd5_6b99ee07_1c6524d0

Analysis symbol:
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report ID: 94bc6da4-5edb-481f-a655-439fc60684b7
    Report Status: 4
    Hashed bucket:

As far as I could tell, this gives no insight into what's wrong. What's more odd is that I've recently checked using DISM and SFC to make sure all the system files are valid.

Any help appreciated

:)

ADAMPOKE111, Apr 11, 2017

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Apr 11, 2017
  3. Eddie9866 Win User
    I can't do anything on my laptop

So, i was attempting to open a .zip file with tons of files, turns out they aren't in a folder so they flooded my desktop full of these files, i tried going on Windows Explorer to go to Desktop and delete them but Windows Explorer crashed, and now my desktop
    is nothing but my screensaver, the time, and some other things on the taskbar, and if i attempt to press anything windows explorer crashes and im stuck with nothing on my laptop, is there anyway to fix this?

Eddie9866, Apr 11, 2017
  4. Windows Explorer, desktop and all file explorer windows, crashing

Considering, you still have 14393, you better upgrade to 15063, before trying anything else.

Those tweaks might be worth using nevertheless:
    Code: Launch folder windows in a separate process reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v "SeparateProcess" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f All instances of Windows Explorer run in one process and the Desktop and Taskbar run in a separate process reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer" /v "DesktopProcess" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Apr 11, 2017
  5. Huh, I wasn't even aware there was an update available. I'll give those two a try.

ADAMPOKE111, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows Explorer, desktop and all file explorer windows, crashing

1. Windows Explorer, desktop and all file explorer windows, crashing - Similar Threads - Explorer desktop file

2. All files in Desktop are hidden, but are visible in the File Explorer> Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    All files in Desktop are hidden, but are visible in the File Explorer> Desktop: Hi all,My wife cleaned up my keyboard in the afternoon and then all the files on the desktop are not visible anymore, but they are visible in File Explorer > desktop. So I'm wondering if there are any shortcuts or settings that are causing this. Here are the steps I've...
  3. Windows File Explorer crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows File Explorer crashes: Hello guys,I was in the Windows Insider program but quit and I am in the regular windows 11 version. It started to crash this week.Here is the error Sorry, it is in spanish from event viewer:Nombre de la aplicación con errores: explorer.exe, versión: 10.0.22621.1, marca de...
  4. Windows File Explorer crashes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows File Explorer crashes: Hello guys,I was in the Windows Insider program but quit and I am in the regular windows 11 version. It started to crash this week.Here is the error Sorry, it is in spanish from event viewer:Nombre de la aplicación con errores: explorer.exe, versión: 10.0.22621.1, marca de...
  5. file explorer or windows explorer crashing on windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer or windows explorer crashing on windows 10: file explorer or windows explorer crashing on windows 10.I work at a MSP and file explore crashes or reset when you try to copy or paste or create a short cut. Its only happening at one of the companies that we support and not the others....
  6. Windows explorer is crashing all the sudden.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows explorer is crashing all the sudden.: I am having a very confusing and very frustrating problem with my windows and I tried just about everything to fix it. This just came out of the blue. I didn't download any files. I don't use file sharing programs. I did not change any settings to anything except for...
  7. taskbar combines all file explorer windows as 'file explorer'

in Windows 10 Customization
    taskbar combines all file explorer windows as 'file explorer': how do I get separate tabs/buttons on the taskbar for each open folder like Windows 7, so I can see and in one click click to view any of them instead of only getting 'file explorer' with a pop-up preview list? the taskbar 'never combine' setting only solves nesting for...
  8. File/Windows explorer crashes

File/Windows explorer crashes: I have an Asus G74sx with an i7 processor and 16gb ram. File Explorer crashes immediately on opening. sfc reports no problem dism reports no problem problem persists in clean boot and in safe mode. System reset cured problem for 3 days then it came back. -Provider [...
  9. Desktop in Explorer not showing all files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop in Explorer not showing all files: For some reason when I access 'Desktop' by using the explorer it's not showing all the files on my desktop, as an example the recycling bin and a shortcut for Adobe Creative Cloud is not showing however it's showing a shortcut for other stuff. When I use "shell:desktop" it...
  10. Windows File Explorer crashing

Windows File Explorer crashing: File Explorer crashes when I try to view disk or folder content from THIS PC Is it possible to replace explorer.exe and kernelbase.dll with good files from another computer from Command Prompt? I have already tried "Repair System Files" but it did not find anything...
Tags: