Windows 10: Windows Explorer Directory Tree pane updates very slowly.

Discus and support Windows Explorer Directory Tree pane updates very slowly. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My main Windows 10 system updates the Directory Tree Pane in Windows Explorer very slowly if at all. As I organize my file content for my Plex server... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BManske, Oct 13, 2019.

1. BManske Win User

Windows Explorer Directory Tree pane updates very slowly.

My main Windows 10 system updates the Directory Tree Pane in Windows Explorer very slowly if at all. As I organize my file content for my Plex server the renamed directories update about every 30 minutes. Think of it as a bell curve going from immediately to never.

I'm organizing hundreds if not thousands of CD, DVD and BluRay rips and encodes. I have 6 8TB external USB 3.0 drives, 2 much smaller internal drives. a Drobo attached through USB 3.0 with 5 8TB drives and a Drobo NAS with 2 12TB & 3 8TB drives mapped over gigabit ethernet. The NAS is used mostly for backups. I have 16 Gig of RAM. Task Manger and Resource Manager tell me I'm using 6 Gig with or without Windows Explorer running. Running it barely moves the needle. Seems like it should use a lot more memory since I've got about 100 TB attached. Windows has allocated a normal sized swap file of about 2.5 Gig. The system does a lot of swapping when changing apps. Messing with the size doesn't seem to matter I've tried about 800Meg to 6 Gig.

I have an encoder, backup programs, Outlook, browser etc... running all the time. But it really doesn't seem to make a difference as the problem will happen right after startup.

After rebooting, I run Windows Explorer and look at "This PC" page it shows me the 13 drives (plus other devices like iPod and DVD / BluRay drives) and then the update bar shading for the address bar starts, then restarts and repeats till the end of time. When I go to a directory and rename folders, the old folders will not change to the new names. Most of the time I will create a new directory (ctl + shft + n) and the new directory will not appear. I have to enter the folder for it to show up in the directory pane. If I keep working then I will get to the point where even entering the directory will not force it to appear and at that point I will close explorer and start the process again.

I was running Windows 8.1 and had these same problems. My system would occasionally crash. Frustration made me update to Win 10 starting with the 1803 update. 1803 and 1809 had these same problems but instead of locking up the computer, the explorer interface would crash and you'd see Windows restart the GUI. Version 1903 finally brings me to a system that doesn't crash. So... much credit for continuing to improve.

Any suggestions? Tweeks to the registry? Would adding more memory or an SSD help?

:)

BManske, Oct 13, 2019

2. how to display entire tree in windows 10 file explorer folder pane WHEN THERE IS NO NUMBER KEYPAD

Hi Ali,

The navigation pane in File Explorer may not be set to show all folders and libraries that's why it doesn't show the entire tree when you expand it. It also possible that some files, folder, and drives may also be hidden that's why you're unable to see it
    when you expand a specific folder. To address this issue, please follow these steps:

1. Open File Explorer.
    2. Click View from the Main Menu.
    3. Click Options > Change folder and search options.
    4. Click the View tab, then under Advanced settings list, tick or check the following items:
      • Files and Folders > Hidden files and folders
        • Show hidden files, folders, or drives.
      • Navigation pane
        • Expand to open folder
        • Show all folders
        • Show libraries
    5. Click Apply, then OK.
    6. Close and relaunch the File Explorer and see if the entire folder pane tree will show when you expand it.

If you have additional questions, or if the issue persists after the performing the steps above, please let me know by replying to this thread. This way, I'll get notified and respond back to you as soon as I can.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Oct 13, 2019
  3. preview/details pane in explorer

Hi,

Setting the Preview pane to show or hide in File Explorer will apply to all folders. If you wish to hide the Preview pane in File Explorer, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Tap on View tab.
    • Click Preview Pane to view/hide it.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Oct 13, 2019
  4. Drone Win User

Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Oct 13, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Explorer Directory Tree pane updates very slowly. - Similar Threads - Explorer Directory Tree

2. Explorer. show position in directory tree when opening a folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer. show position in directory tree when opening a folder.: My files are distributed across 9 drives, so I use shortcuts on the Desktop to go directly to the relevant folder and files.When the window opens, there is no indication of which drive it is on, nor is it possible to navigate directly to the adjacent folders CfC23_11,...
  3. Explorer. show position in directory tree when opening a folder.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explorer. show position in directory tree when opening a folder.: My files are distributed across 9 drives, so I use shortcuts on the Desktop to go directly to the relevant folder and files.When the window opens, there is no indication of which drive it is on, nor is it possible to navigate directly to the adjacent folders CfC23_11,...
  4. Web sites open very very VERY slowly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Web sites open very very VERY slowly: I am using Windows 10 Home and Chrome. Quite usually it takes about 15-30 sec to load a page. I have very fast fiberoptics ~100mbps and also Linux Mint installed on the same machine and on Linux it is very fast. So it looks like that the problem with Windows settings.Any...
  5. Web sites open very very VERY slowly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Web sites open very very VERY slowly: I am using Windows 10 Home and Chrome. Quite usually it takes about 15-30 sec to load a page. I have very fast fiberoptics ~100mbps and also Linux Mint installed on the same machine and on Linux it is very fast. So it looks like that the problem with Windows settings.Any...
  6. Web sites open very very VERY slowly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Show \User\MyName Tree in File Explorer Navigation Pane

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Show \User\MyName Tree in File Explorer Navigation Pane: How do I Show \User\MyName Tree in File Explorer Navigation Pane? Windows 10 recently re-installed and I lost this tree. How do I get it back?...
  8. Windows start very slowly

Windows start very slowly: About a month ago I had an update for Windows 10 and after that, the computer began to boot very slowly (it took him more than 30 minutes to go up and reach to the login screen) and sometimes the language changed to gibberish or strange symbols. After about a week, the...
  9. Windows 10 is running very slowly.

Windows 10 is running very slowly.: HOw do I speed up Window s 10? Are there files I need to remove? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-is-running-very-slowly/2ab1c823-577b-4d2b-be05-e8ec6b9ddde2
  10. My Windows Explorer runs very slowly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My Windows Explorer runs very slowly: My Windows Explorer runs very slowly (working ....), it seems that there is a problem with file system. For instance, Layout properties are grayed out, Alternative also (I run Swedish Windows, not sure if Layout and Alöternative alre corect words...). External drives open...