Windows 10: Windows Explorer Displaying Wrong Name for User Profile Folder

Discus and support Windows Explorer Displaying Wrong Name for User Profile Folder in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/TheRealHourglass [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/TheRealHourglass, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Windows Explorer Displaying Wrong Name for User Profile Folder

/u/TheRealHourglass, Oct 31, 2019
  2. Fredi_958 Win User

User Folder on Desktop displays wrong Name

Hello,

soooo i just noticed, the User Files Folder, that can be displayed on the Desktop and Explorer

(you know, the one with your Username) has changed it's mind to Display "Ordner" (German for Folder*).

This is the case for:

• My Desktop User Folder Icon (See image)
    • The Explorer Adress Bar, when opened*
    • The Userfolder Preview Icon in the settings for Desktopsymbols
    • The same things above for a New created test user
    • Changing the System Language changed the Text to "Folders", wich means, that it's not something written in stone and it is translated somewhere
    For some Reason, the folder is also found by Windows, when i enter the normal name of the folder.

(EDIT: No it's not. that was just a misinterpretation by me)

I already searched the Registery and found some entries for this folder, but when i compared them with a computer that does not has this issue, I did not found any differences, hence i didn't change anything.

Windows Explorer Displaying Wrong Name for User Profile Folder ed1af505-6ffd-4430-9cf9-8b88dcfb8fd2?upload=true.png

(Not my username at all).

I'm currently running Windows 10 1803 Pro.

Unfortunately i recently cleaned the temporary files and,with it, all system restore points.

But there must be something wrong in the registery or Files it references i think.

Fredi_958, Oct 31, 2019
  3. DSD
    DSD Win User
    Need help with changing name of user profile folder

I would like to change the name of the user profile folder. I have found and tried a few methods including one from Microsoft forums. None of them worked. I kept getting something about my User needing to sign out and back in again that there was a problem, so I would sign out and back in again and it didn't work. I think the reason is because Windows created a TEMP user and would log me in under that so there would be a folder named C/User/TEMP and still the original named folder of C/User/myuserfolder.

I found this on the forums here: Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

The instructions are very similar to what I have tried. In the above post John W used safe mode. Do I need to go through all the steps again as listed in the post and then go into safe mode, or can I just use safe mode to change the folder name?

Also, are there newer instructions for how to do this with updates to Windows since the above thread was posted over a year ago?

Thanks in advance.

4. Windows Explorer Displaying Wrong Name for User Profile Folder

User Account folder name

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with changing the folder name under Users folder in Windows 10.

I suggest you to perform the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open the File Explorer and double click on C drive.

2. Open Users folder from the list.

3. Click on the user name folder and then tap on F2 Key.

4. Change the name of the folder and hit on Enter Key.

5. It will ask for Administrator Permission and click on Ok.

6. Folder name will be changed.

Get back to us if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Oct 31, 2019
Thema:

Windows Explorer Displaying Wrong Name for User Profile Folder

1. Windows Explorer Displaying Wrong Name for User Profile Folder - Similar Threads - Explorer Displaying Wrong

2. Configure user folder name on user creation, NOT with display name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Configure user folder name on user creation, NOT with display name: Office 365 organization with several users, we use some extended characters for user names, like call it to a designer optionIssue, as a user creates an account within windows, the user folder gets name after the display name, not after de user email, and that's seems a bug,...
  3. Configure user folder name on user creation, NOT with display name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Configure user folder name on user creation, NOT with display name: Office 365 organization with several users, we use some extended characters for user names, like call it to a designer optionIssue, as a user creates an account within windows, the user folder gets name after the display name, not after de user email, and that's seems a bug,...
  4. Wrong profile name displayed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wrong profile name displayed: Hi, i noticed at times that windows has my son's name listed with his email for example at the top of the settings dashboard? Is that because he has somewhere logged in to his microsoft account on my desktop. How do i get rid of this and display my own details? Thank you....
  5. User profiles and File Explorer USERS folders

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    User profiles and File Explorer USERS folders: When I started up my new HP laptop it used my signon name to create a "myname" profile but it didn't create any files under /USERS/myname. I than created another account profile with"newname" with administrator permission as an emergency backup. That profile name was given...
  6. Display Name vs Profile user name?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Display Name vs Profile user name?: I created a local user account during the Windows 10 installation process and that username which I created are a mix of letters and numbers which is also displayed on the Windows logon screen. Is there way to add my First and Last name as the display name to the Windows...
  7. My user profile folders are in the wrong place.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My user profile folders are in the wrong place.: How can I get my "system" folders back where they belong in my explorer tree? For example, my contacts folder among others appears under my "pictures" folder. This, I believe, is a result of reusing the system drive from my old computer as a data drive on my new build after...
  8. Wrong user name/profile in registry

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Wrong user name/profile in registry: Recently changed name of a user account. Thought it was straight forward but I started getting the dreaded "We can not sign into your account" error. Off to the registry, under this user's account, where I noticed the old username with the Temp designation but it wouldn't let...
  9. User Profile Folder Name

User Profile Folder Name: This just something I'm starting up in hopes that enough people will complain about it that Microsoft will change the programming to make it easier to get your User folder renamed. Because going through the hassle of creating a new user, backing up all your files in your...
  10. User Folder on Desktop displays wrong Name

User Folder on Desktop displays wrong Name: Hello, soooo i just noticed, the User Files Folder, that can be displayed on the Desktop and Explorer (you know, the one with your Username) has changed it's mind to Display "Ordner" (German for Folder*). This is the case for: My Desktop User Folder Icon (See image) The...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. my name is wrong in windows file explorer