Windows 10: Windows Explorer doesn't find files (even when searching in the folder the file is in, with...

Discus and support Windows Explorer doesn't find files (even when searching in the folder the file is in, with... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows 10 OS Build 17134.523 Set for all drives and folders to be indexed (except program files). I've selected Windows Update, Recovery and Backup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CazD1, Jan 16, 2019.

1. CazD1 Win User

Windows Explorer doesn't find files (even when searching in the folder the file is in, with...

Windows 10 OS Build 17134.523

Set for all drives and folders to be indexed (except program files).
    I've selected Windows Update, Recovery and Backup as the Windows Topic because I found information about why Reindexing is sometimes required after updates.

1. I'm trying to find a file. I have the exact file name.
    2. I search using Windows Explorer I get no file found.
    3. I know the file exists. I have a vague idea of where it might be.
    4. I search manually for the file and find it.
    5. I re do the search in just that folder, with the exact file name.
    6. I re try looking for another file I know is in that folder, in case it's a problem with the file.
    7. Still no luck
    8. I search for info on Windows Explorer not finding files, see it may be an indexing issue.
    9. I find the reindexing instructions.
    10. Reindex the whole computer.
    11. Indexing completes.
    12. Still can't "find" the file. Or other files in the same folder or other folders. Sometimes the search completes and displays no files found. Sometimes the search doesn't complete just displays 'working on it'

Is there any other advice on how I can get Windows Explorer to find files?

Thanks in advance for any assistance

:)

CazD1, Jan 16, 2019
  2. dark2099 Win User

Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

dark2099, Jan 16, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 16, 2019
  4. Windows Explorer doesn't find files (even when searching in the folder the file is in, with...

Files remain in original folder after moving them to new folder in file explorer

Hi,

The issue that you’ve encountered regarding the File Explorer may be caused by some configuration or files mismatched. To sort out your concern, we suggest that you reset the folder settings from the
    Folder Options. This will reboot the folder’s preferences to its default state and remove any possible software conflict. To do this, you may follow these steps:

• Click Start, type File Explorer, and press
      Enter
    • On the File Explorer window, click the View tab > Options > Change folder and search options > View.
    • Under the Folder views section, click Reset Folders, and then select
      Yes to confirm.
    • Once you’re done, click OK, and then check if the issue persists.

Note: This process will remove the list of files that you recently opened.

Let us know if the suggestion works for you.

Joseph Ban, Jan 16, 2019
Thema:

Windows Explorer doesn't find files (even when searching in the folder the file is in, with...

1. Windows Explorer doesn't find files (even when searching in the folder the file is in, with... - Similar Threads - Explorer doesn't find

2. Windows File Explorer search not finding text in files that is obviously there

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows File Explorer search not finding text in files that is obviously there: After looking at the numerous inquiries about how to make this work and being unsuccessful, and not wanting to waste a lot of time trying to make it work, I resorted to using the following MS-DOS command:FOR /F %i IN 'FINDSTR /M "string-to-be-searched" *.txt *.tmp' DO...
  3. Windows File Explorer search not finding text in files that is obviously there

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows File Explorer search not finding text in files that is obviously there: After looking at the numerous inquiries about how to make this work and being unsuccessful, and not wanting to waste a lot of time trying to make it work, I resorted to using the following MS-DOS command:FOR /F %i IN 'FINDSTR /M "string-to-be-searched" *.txt *.tmp' DO...
  4. Windows File Explorer search not finding text in files that is obviously there

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. folder doesn't show in file explorer, but can find contents in search

folder doesn't show in file explorer, but can find contents in search: Help! I had a Turbotax folder under Documents on my hard drive. I had to uninstall and reinstall Turbotax due to an error I was getting doing my taxes. I also had to contact Turbotax and a guy walked me through installing an update as administrator. That got Turbotax...
  6. File Explore Search not working for finding files by content

File Explore Search not working for finding files by content: I have a directory that when I use the File Explorer search, it will not find files by its content even though I know that some files in the directory or subdirectory do contain the given search string. This is quite a common problem and I seem dozens of posted solutions,...
  7. File Explorer search Current folder option doesn't work

File Explorer search Current folder option doesn't work: Good morning, I am having a problem with my Windows 10 file explorer searches. When I search for an item, it brings back results in for the current folder and all subfolders as it should. When I click on "Current folder" in the search tools, however, it does nothing. I...
  8. File explorer search not finding files that are obviously there

File explorer search not finding files that are obviously there: When in the file explorer normally I can find files easily by doing control-F then typing in a few letters or if looking for a specific type using type:.zip for example. On my new Windows 10 machine (purchased just a few weeks ago) this doesn't work. See the video below for...
  9. File Explorer doesn't search on file contents

File Explorer doesn't search on file contents: I can't get File Explorer to search on file contents using Windows 10 Pro. I have checked all the search settings I am aware of without success....
  10. File Explorer closes when searching for a file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer closes when searching for a file: In File Explorer, when I type an entry into the Search box, it momentarily shows results then File Explorer closes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-closes-when-searching-for-a-file/2be6c0d9-16bb-479c-93ec-7f16e189223a