Windows 10: Windows Explorer doesn't keep up with to sort files by date modified

Discus and support Windows Explorer doesn't keep up with to sort files by date modified in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows Explorer doesn't seem to be keeping up with "date modified". E.g. I modify a file in Word then save it to my local drive. Then I open Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BillMNYC, Jul 31, 2019.

1. BillMNYC Win User

Windows Explorer doesn't keep up with to sort files by date modified

Windows Explorer doesn't seem to be keeping up with "date modified". E.g. I modify a file in Word then save it to my local drive. Then I open Windows Explorer and sort by Date Modified. The file I just saved should be displayed at the top of the file list, but it doesn't. I have to also add that it "sometimes" works, but most of the time, it doesn't. It seems like it takes several minutes for the file system to update to sort by Date Modified. Any suggestions?

:)

BillMNYC, Jul 31, 2019
  2. 409409409 Win User

Sort files AND folders by "Date Modified" in File Explorer

Hello,

Is there a way to sort folders and individual files by "Date Modified" together? Right now, when I sort by "Date Modified," folders are automatically put at the bottom below files, even if they have been modified more recently than a file. When I'm quickly
    scanning a list, this is very distracting. How can I fix this?

409409409, Jul 31, 2019
  3. cereberus Win User
    Sorting with File Explorer.

I tried the method that was complicated (3rd option) but fell over in second step as I could not find any "apply to folder button"'.

However, the simple put *.* in search bar, then sort results windows by date does the trick. It is slightly cumbersome as I have to do that each time I am selecting files (to upload to sharepoint) but a lot less hassle than I was having to scroll up and down between sorted file block and sorted folder block.

Many thanks.

M.

cereberus, Jul 31, 2019
  4. RyanPosly Win User

Sort in File Explorer by Date Modified with Folders always on top (ALPHABETICALLY)

In File Explorer (Windows 10), I want to sort my files by Date Modified (most recent on top) but with Folders always on top. I've read in countless forums across the internet that there's a great, easy way to do this: Click Date Modified to sort that column
    descending, then Shift+Click on Name and voila! Folders appear at the top of the list. Fantastic!

However, what no one ever points out in their elation is that the Folders are then sorted (at least for me)
    reverse alphabetically! So the first Folder on top starts with a W, and the last Folder before the individual files show starts with an A. You would think that you could just Shift+Click again on Name, and it would reverse it, but it does nothing.
    To be clear, I don't need my Folders on top sorted by Date, but I also think it's silly that they would have to be in reverse.

Sorting seems like pretty basic functionality, and the ability to sort by multiple columns in multiple ways at once is commonplace in things like Excel and iTunes. Is there no way to accomplish this in File Explorer?

Thanks.

RyanPosly, Jul 31, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Explorer doesn't keep up with to sort files by date modified - Similar Threads - Explorer doesn't keep

2. Files not showing up in File Explorer but show up if I select sort by Date Modified

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files not showing up in File Explorer but show up if I select sort by Date Modified: The strangest thing just started happening on my computer in the last couple of days. I regularly do scans into my computer as well as saving documents and images from newspaper websites, etc. Just yesterday, I started noticing that after I completed the saves/scans, the...
  3. Files not showing up in File Explorer but show up if I select sort by Date Modified

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files not showing up in File Explorer but show up if I select sort by Date Modified: The strangest thing just started happening on my computer in the last couple of days. I regularly do scans into my computer as well as saving documents and images from newspaper websites, etc. Just yesterday, I started noticing that after I completed the saves/scans, the...
  4. [WIN 11] File Explorer "Sort by Date Modified" Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [WIN 11] File Explorer "Sort by Date Modified" Error: It doesn't happen for every folder, just certain ones, but I've noticed that File Explorer's sort-by-date-modified is working incorrectly, or there's a hidden sorting that also sorts the files by type as well, even though I don't have it chosen. I have 4 screenshots of...
  5. [WIN 11] File Explorer "Sort by Date Modified" Error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    [WIN 11] File Explorer "Sort by Date Modified" Error: It doesn't happen for every folder, just certain ones, but I've noticed that File Explorer's sort-by-date-modified is working incorrectly, or there's a hidden sorting that also sorts the files by type as well, even though I don't have it chosen. I have 4 screenshots of...
  6. Sorting Files by "Date" or "Date Modified" in Windows 10 Explorer Not Working Properly.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sorting Files by "Date" or "Date Modified" in Windows 10 Explorer Not Working Properly.: The sorting method is set to 'Date' under the 'Sort By' Option. I have tried different options such as sorting by "Date created", 'Date Modified', 'Date Received', etc. I want the latest file to show up at the top. submitted by /u/SnooLobsters7431 [link] [comments]...
  7. Date Modified in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Date Modified in File Explorer: Hi, Recently I discovered that some of the files in a folder have missing date modified information in the date modified column. Please see the below screenshots describing the exact problem. [ATTACH] When I select 'Properties' of a file that does not have date...
  8. folder sorting by date modified

folder sorting by date modified: might seem stupid but i just got a new laptop and ran into this problem when trying to set up. one of the things i need is to sort files in the 'downloads' folder by date modified, so i can find the ones most recently downloaded at the top. However, i found this was not the...
  9. Sort by 'Date Modified' but keep folders at the top?

Sort by 'Date Modified' but keep folders at the top?: After installing the new update, I cannot sort my files by Date Modified (recent files first) and have my folders first before my recent files like I used to. They go straight after all my files. The only way I can get the files to the top is if I sort by Date Modified...
  10. File explorer sort reverts to "date modified"

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer sort reverts to "date modified": Every disk and/ or folder when I tick sort by name-ascending the damn thing reverts to date modified-descending if I leave said disk or folder and return. I tried "Enable_Auto_Arrange_in_File_Explorer.bat" and "Reset_Folder_View_Settings_of_All_Folders_to_Default.bat"...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows who modified file