Windows 10: Windows explorer downloads folder keeps crashing

Discus and support Windows explorer downloads folder keeps crashing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I am using windows 10 Education (1803). For some reason the downloads folder keeps not responding. Every time I select a file that isn't a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BONGANI THANDO MKWANAZI, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Windows explorer downloads folder keeps crashing

Hi,

I am using windows 10 Education (1803). For some reason the downloads folder keeps not responding.

Every time I select a file that isn't a folder it loads forever and says "(not responding)". Its so annoying cause I can not even move the files. As soon I select the files it stops working. This as far as I can tell only affects the downloads folder, only MSO and PDFs files to be specific.

I thought that maybe the files were large but all of them are below 1mb. There was a video lecture that downloaded that was 1gb and I could move it without any problems. My laptop has 8 gigs of ram so I doubt its a ram issue. I have tried multiple "solutions", one post on the forum a cmd prompt that delete autorun.inf and some other file, it did not work. Even tried changing the "read only" option in properties and optimise the folder for general files, still, did not make a difference.

I did attempt to scan the folder for viruses or any malware and for some reason the Windows defender security centre will not open but it is loading as I can see my courser show the loading icon (which just keeps blinking until I restart my laptop) but nothing seems to load. I can see on task manager that Windows is attempting to open Windows defender security centre but it isn't working at all. Under settings>system>about it indicates a caution sign next to "Virus and Threat protection". I am not sure if these are related. I did attempted to uninstall the security updates but windows doesn't allow me to do that. Instead I uninstalled the previous windows update and it made no difference as well. I updated my laptop with the same update that I had uninstalled and what do you know, NO DIFFERENCE. My downloads folder still does not work and Windows defender security centre will not open.

I need help!

:)

BONGANI THANDO MKWANAZI, Mar 4, 2019
  2. Harvy Win User

Windows explorer crashing

Hi,

I am having the same problem as the OP in this thread.
    Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

I have tried the fixes listed in the above thread and I am getting the same error message as 'ktadie' (post 16). I think this is because I am running Windows 7 Professional. Windows explorer crashes when I open my 'Films' folder on my brand new 2tb external HDD. I have about 300 .avi files in this folder and some of the .avi files are several years old.

In short I believe I need the same fix given by 'Wile E' (post 7) but updated for Windows 7 Professional.

Thanks in advance.

Harvy, Mar 4, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 4, 2019
  4. Kreij Win User

Windows explorer downloads folder keeps crashing

How to make vista display same icon size for all opened folders in explorer ?

Some suggestions

Kreij, Mar 4, 2019
Thema:

Windows explorer downloads folder keeps crashing

1. Windows explorer downloads folder keeps crashing - Similar Threads - explorer downloads folder

2. Windows Explorer Keeps Crashing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer Keeps Crashing.: When I click on the file explorer icon in the quick bar all the icons on my desktop vanish and the same for my quick bar for a couple of seconds then it looks like it reboots file explorer but doesn't open the folder.If i get a folder open and i left or right click on a...
  3. Downloads folder keeps crashing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Downloads folder keeps crashing: Hello All!I have Windows 10 PRO. I got a 32GB, Intel i9 I was trying to download a PDF doc from my Google drive. The PDF doc was a few papers that I scanned myself. It was not some random doc from the internet The file name was VoltageB.pdfIt had 8 pages. I just needed pages...
  4. Downloads folder keeps crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downloads folder keeps crashing: Hello All!I have Windows 10 PRO. I got a 32GB, Intel i9 I was trying to download a PDF doc from my Google drive. The PDF doc was a few papers that I scanned myself. It was not some random doc from the internet The file name was VoltageB.pdfIt had 8 pages. I just needed pages...
  5. Downloads folder keeps crashing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. My File Explorer Keeps Crashing after clicking the Downloads Folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My File Explorer Keeps Crashing after clicking the Downloads Folder.: Hello Microsoft Team,I need help as when I attempt to open the downloads folder through file explorer my whole file explorer freezes, and then crashes. A cause of this may be that before this freeze started occuring, I multiple selected a few files and may have accidentaly...
  7. My File Explorer Keeps Crashing after clicking the Downloads Folder.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My File Explorer Keeps Crashing after clicking the Downloads Folder.: Hello Microsoft Team,I need help as when I attempt to open the downloads folder through file explorer my whole file explorer freezes, and then crashes. A cause of this may be that before this freeze started occuring, I multiple selected a few files and may have accidentaly...
  8. File explorer keeps freezing on downloads folder Windows 10

File explorer keeps freezing on downloads folder Windows 10: Whenever I open file explorer, it freezes whenever I click on the downloads folder. I can access all the other folders just fine, but downloads will not work no matter what I do. I've tried a lot of fixes, but none of them work. Any fixes?...
  9. Windows Explorer Keeps Crashing

Windows Explorer Keeps Crashing: I am trying to sort several photos from one folder to other folders and while in the process of doing this Explorer keeps restarting. What is causing this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-explorer-keeps-crashing/c9e3a5ba-6589-4b59-a0a3-0a2768ff7857
  10. Windows 10 file explorer - downloads folder keeps crashing

Windows 10 file explorer - downloads folder keeps crashing: File explorer suddenly freezes up when I want to view the downloads folder. It says 'working on it ...' but I am not able to access that folder. I have checked the properties of the downloads folder, it is checked to 'general', but also checked to 'read only'. I have...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dowloads file foler keeps crashing in file explorer