Windows 10: Windows Explorer drag-drop a file, but Windows moves it back

Discus and support Windows Explorer drag-drop a file, but Windows moves it back in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi folks, I'm getting frustrated today. Editing and moving a lot of files around today, and suddenly I notice that when I drag and drop a file from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by notonyourtintype, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Windows Explorer drag-drop a file, but Windows moves it back

Hi folks,

I'm getting frustrated today. Editing and moving a lot of files around today, and suddenly I notice that when I drag and drop a file from one place in a folder tree to another place a few branches away, WinExp shows the move... but about 5 seconds later, it just moves it right back, with NO error message, no pop-up window, no nothing!

I can COPY (ctrl-c) and paste (ctrl-V) the same file from/to the same locations. But I cannot move it.

This happens with a few files.

Help?

Files are on hard drive; synced via Onedrive for Business. Windows 10 Entrprise, fully patched.

Thanks.

:)

notonyourtintype, Jan 26, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 26, 2019
  3. Lorne50 Win User
    Unable to drag and drop in file explorer

If I open file explorer with the 'This PC' folder list expanded in the left pane and a folder open in the right pane I can't drag and drop a file or a folder from anywhere in the right pane to any folder in the left pane.

If I open a second instance of file explorer I can drag anything from any folder to any other location going from one instance to the other - it fails only when dragging withing one instance of file explorer. I can also drag from one place to another within
    the right pane.

Is this a design feature in Windows 10 (if so it is stupid - I used this feature all the time in previous windows versions). If not how do I solve the problem ?

Lorne50, Jan 26, 2019
  4. xylomn Win User

Windows Explorer drag-drop a file, but Windows moves it back

Java, interaction with windows explorer

I'm in the middle of coding a small project which involves needing an integrated file explorer similar to that of windows explorer.

As java doesn't contain this feature in its libraries i'm coding it from scratch and its almost done bar one thing....

I need to be able to drag file(s) from windows explorer into the file viewer I have made so the files can be copied...

What I don't know how to do is construct an appropriate listener to detect when files are 'dropped' onto the file explorer window so i can read their paths.

Any ideas?

xylomn, Jan 26, 2019
Thema:

Windows Explorer drag-drop a file, but Windows moves it back

1. Windows Explorer drag-drop a file, but Windows moves it back - Similar Threads - Explorer drag drop

2. can't drag and drop files in file explorer for windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't drag and drop files in file explorer for windows 11: After waking my computer I have to restart it every time to move files like my course books and papers for school. I found some troubleshooting tips online that dealt with the Task Manager, CMD Prompt, and Powershell but none of them fixed the problem. This is anytime my...
  3. can't drag and drop files in file explorer for windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can't drag and drop files in file explorer for windows 11: After waking my computer I have to restart it every time to move files like my course books and papers for school. I found some troubleshooting tips online that dealt with the Task Manager, CMD Prompt, and Powershell but none of them fixed the problem. This is anytime my...
  4. Drag and Drop Windows / Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drag and Drop Windows / Files: In Windows 10, you could have an application open and maximized such as a Word Document, PDF, etc. and you could just drag and drop it to another area, such as the 2nd screen without any issues. As soon as you clicked to drag it, it would just minimize itself not minimize as...
  5. Drag and Drop Windows / Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drag and Drop Windows / Files: In Windows 10, you could have an application open and maximized such as a Word Document, PDF, etc. and you could just drag and drop it to another area, such as the 2nd screen without any issues. As soon as you clicked to drag it, it would just minimize itself not minimize as...
  6. File Explorer issues with drag and drop moves and renaming files

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer issues with drag and drop moves and renaming files: Problem 1: I've been having an intermittent problem with moving files in Windows Explorer via drag 'n' drop for quite some time. I typically have two or more File Explorer windows open and position one where the file is and the other where I want the file to go; then I drag...
  7. Windows Explorer / File Explorer in Windows 10 Drag and Drop issues.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer / File Explorer in Windows 10 Drag and Drop issues.: Under 'This PC' I get the standard list in the Navigation plane of Desktop, Documents, etc. and then a couple of folders mapping to NAS drives, then Music, Pictures, then Physical drives on the PC then finally a Mapped Drive on a server. The issue is I don't always have the...
  8. file explorer drag and drop

file explorer drag and drop: After my last update there is no right pane in the file explorer to drag and drop files. Please advise. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-drag-and-drop/f2190733-2938-485c-880e-58d172f73f16
  9. Explorer Drag and Drop 'Move' - Not Working - Win 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Explorer Drag and Drop 'Move' - Not Working - Win 10: Explorer Drag and Drop 'Move' - Not Working - Win 10 131962
  10. Drag and Drop to move files not working

Drag and Drop to move files not working: Hi, I've recently bought a new laptop with Windows 10 Version 1803 (OS build 17134.407). I was trying to move a folder to another folder. So I did the following: 1. I dragged the folder to be moved with mouse. 2. Pressed Alt+tab to switch to the target folder. 3. The...