Windows 10: Windows Explorer - File Renaming - Double Click to Select Word

Discus and support Windows Explorer - File Renaming - Double Click to Select Word in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When renaming a file in Windows Explorer, the double click selects a "word". The problem I'm having is the "Double Click + Drag". This not only selects... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GaXve, Jul 14, 2020.

1. GaXve Win User

Windows Explorer - File Renaming - Double Click to Select Word

When renaming a file in Windows Explorer, the double click selects a "word". The problem I'm having is the "Double Click + Drag". This not only selects the File Name, but also the File Extension. It is very clunky and bothersome, because I almost never want to change the File Extension, and only want to change the File Name.

Is there a way to change this behavior in Windows Explorer?

:)

GaXve, Jul 14, 2020

2. Single click on selected file renames it, double click on selected file also counts as single click and renames as well

When I want to open an already selected file, double clicking it will rename it instead of opening it, no matter how quickly I double click. This was not the case in Windows 8 and it's _seriously_ annoying me. Single clicking an already selected file will
    also rename it when it should be a slow double click.

I know that I can double click on the icon to open it anyway, but I like to work in details view where the icons are really small.

Edit: Ok, apparently it was a bug. Anyway, the problem is gone for now. I thought it was by design.

NounVerber, Jul 14, 2020
  3. mixa Win User
    Microsoft Internet Explorer renamed to Windows Internet Explorer ?

Windows Explorer - File Renaming - Double Click to Select Word wie1.png

Since version 7 of the world`s most popular web browser - Microsoft Internet Explorer was silently renamed to Windows Internet Explorer.Such a step from Microsoft is not a surprise since Internet Explorer is part of the Windows operation system for a long time.Obviously Microsoft corp. wants to state that Internet Explorer is already considered as a part of Windows and not as an external browser (remember the IE and WMP law issues last year!?).

4. cholzm Win User

How to make windows select whole hyphenated word on double click

I have seen this question asked elsewhere with no conclusive answer. I currently have Windows 10 and I would like to change the selection behavior that happens when I double click a word that contains a hyphen in notepad, Word, chrome, or, as far as I
    can tell, any program running under Windows 10. Currently if I try to select a word like foo-bar by double clicking either foo or bar the result is that only the part before or after the hyphen is selected, but never the whole word including the hyphen. I
    would like Windows to treat a hyphen like any other character and on double click select the entire word from space to space including hyphens. I read some suggestions related to East Asian Language packs, but I have only English installed. I'm hoping that
    someone has another suggestion. Please help!

cholzm, Jul 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows Explorer - File Renaming - Double Click to Select Word - Similar Threads - Explorer File Renaming

2. double click - to both select & copy?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    double click - to both select & copy?: Hi, is there a way to enable in Windows 10 the behavior of when you double click a word that it will both select and copy it to the clipboard?sorry if this has been asked before; using both the search here & at other SE's like DuckDuckGo and Google, i could not find a clear...
  3. double click - to both select & copy?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    double click - to both select & copy?: Hi, is there a way to enable in Windows 10 the behavior of when you double click a word that it will both select and copy it to the clipboard?sorry if this has been asked before; using both the search here & at other SE's like DuckDuckGo and Google, i could not find a clear...
  4. double click - to both select & copy?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows/explorer Auto Re-select When Renaming Files.

Windows/explorer Auto Re-select When Renaming Files.: When I'm modifying file names, in the middle of typing, the Windows/explorer will autoselect all the names. For instance, when I'm deleting certain word, it will reselect all the names and then all will be deleted. This is so annoying.To make sure auto-reselecting is not...
  6. double click to rename

in Windows 10 Gaming
    double click to rename: I used to be able to double click a file to rename it. After installing Windows 11, File explorer will not let me do that. Can I get this feature back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-click-to-rename/643a40ea-7871-4378-921d-4f07963a8677
  7. double click to rename

double click to rename: I used to be able to double click a file to rename it. After installing Windows 11, File explorer will not let me do that. Can I get this feature back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-click-to-rename/643a40ea-7871-4378-921d-4f07963a8677
  8. Single/double-click to open file in Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Single/double-click to open file in Explorer: Recently my Windows 10 Home has changed from double-click to open files to single-click and underlining files as hyperlinks, even though it is set to double-click in folder options. I have restored the default settings as shown below but this has made no difference. Using the...
  9. double clicking on a file in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    double clicking on a file in file explorer: when I double click on a file in file explorer the file comes up and so does a blank file in Word. How can I stop the empty file from coming up?...
  10. W10 File Explorer - Can't rename, delete, or double click open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    W10 File Explorer - Can't rename, delete, or double click open: Hi, I brought new laptop. Recently, clicking on a file in file explorer has resulted in rotating blue circle and nothing else. It appears that the explorer has gone into an infinite loop. The files can still be opened by the associated application (e.g., Word, File >...