Windows 10: Windows Explorer folder sizes and positions in Windows 10

Discus and support Windows Explorer folder sizes and positions in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have two laptops (stopped using desktops years ago) that came with Windows 7 Pro. As MS will stop supporting W 7 next year, I decided to buy a new W... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Landyman, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Landyman Win User

Windows Explorer folder sizes and positions in Windows 10

I have two laptops (stopped using desktops years ago) that came with Windows 7 Pro. As MS will stop supporting W 7 next year, I decided to buy a new W 10 Pro licence and install onto a separate drive.

I am a heavy user of Windows Explorer for displaying the contents of folders. But W 10 has major problems in this area.

Folders open in a very small size, so with two folders open I right click the date/time and select 'Show windows side by side'. In W 7 this will display one folder on the left of the screen and the other on the right, filling the screen.

But in W 10, I get two very small folders one above the other. They are so small that they are useless until edges are dragged to enlarge them. The W 7 feature of locking to the screen top/sides is also missing or I can't find how to turn it on.

How can I get folders to open in my default 'half-screen' size automatically?

:)

Landyman, Mar 14, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 14, 2019
  3. Kreij Win User
    How to make vista display same icon size for all opened folders in explorer ?

Some suggestions

Kreij, Mar 14, 2019
  4. Windows Explorer folder sizes and positions in Windows 10

Windows 10 - Folder Size & Position resets to last Open Folder

I cannot find a setting in the Folder settings where I can set my folder size, type, position to be unique from other folders. When I close one folder and then open another the new folder inherits the same size and position of the last open folder.

Is there a way to change this?

The icon settings for each folder are saving properly. So if I want to see a list of files in one folder but have large icons in other folder there is no problem.

So this question is limited JUST to the size and position of the folder when its opened. Seems like XP had a setting where each folder could have its own unique position and size. Does Windows 10 have the same options? If not why not?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

IBBeachBum, Mar 14, 2019
Thema:

Windows Explorer folder sizes and positions in Windows 10

1. Windows Explorer folder sizes and positions in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Explorer folder sizes

2. Windows don't remember folder size / position

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows don't remember folder size / position: Goodmorning.Yesterday i tried to re-install Windows 11 because on my previous Windows 11 i had a problem where when i open "file explorer" which is pinned on my taskbar it will always openon its default folder size / position . When i first install Windows 11 yesterday it...
  3. Windows don't remember folder size / position

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows don't remember folder size / position: Goodmorning.Yesterday i tried to re-install Windows 11 because on my previous Windows 11 i had a problem where when i open "file explorer" which is pinned on my taskbar it will always openon its default folder size / position . When i first install Windows 11 yesterday it...
  4. Windows 10- is restoring folders to their previously opened position/size possible?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10- is restoring folders to their previously opened position/size possible?: Ive read some other threads on the topic. Some folks mentioned that this worked back in Windows XP. Others mentioned it works fine- you just have to go to File, Close rather than click the 'X' to close a window, and its position / extents size will be saved. That doesn't seem...
  5. WIndows 10 Settings Window odd size/position

in Windows 10 Support
    WIndows 10 Settings Window odd size/position: We have a couple of Lenovo Ideapad laptops each running Windows 10 Home 20H2. One one of them, when you click on Start > Settings (icon), the settings window pops up and it's stuffed in the upper left corner and undersized with horizontal and vertical scroll bars. I can...
  6. Windows 10 does not remember window position and size

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 does not remember window position and size: If Windows does not remember the window position and size then this post will help you fix the problem. Although Windows 10 should open the […] This article Windows 10 does not remember window position and size first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. Window Size and Position

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Window Size and Position: I might already have a thread about this. An application window will have a given size and position upon initial installation. I have a window which has had both changed since its initial installation. I want to restore the original values. I tried uninstalling it and...
  8. window size and position

in Windows 10 Customization
    window size and position: HOW IS IT THAT WINDOWS10 CANNOT REMEMBER THE SIZE AND POSITION OF AN OPEN WINDOW/APPLICATION AFTER IT HAS BEEN CLOSED AND THEN RE-OPENED? I've done a quick search that revealed that previous versions of Windows have had the same issue with the system failing to do the...
  9. Windows Explorer: Have each folder retain its size, position, settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer: Have each folder retain its size, position, settings: Windows Explorer: Have each folder retain its size, position, settings I do recall that in previous versions of windows one of the features was the ability to customize a folder including background art. The folder would remember where it was, what size it was, and what...
  10. Windows (File Explorer) not retaining my set size and position?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows (File Explorer) not retaining my set size and position?: I've noticed this problem with many of the internal programs such as file explorer, that will open up in an unusable size and position, and even after I adjust those to my preferred settings, they always revert back. Is there a fix for this that will allow me to set the...