Windows 10: Windows Explorer freezes after adjusting screen resolution and connection to a monitor

Discus and support Windows Explorer freezes after adjusting screen resolution and connection to a monitor in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For context: I connected my Dell XPS 15 9550 laptop with Windows 10 4K 3840 X 2400 to 2 monitors Acer 2560 X 1440 and Lenovo 1920 X 1080 via a Lenovo... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by #ChrisW, Feb 10, 2021.

1. #ChrisW Win User

Windows Explorer freezes after adjusting screen resolution and connection to a monitor

For context: I connected my Dell XPS 15 9550 laptop with Windows 10 4K 3840 X 2400 to 2 monitors Acer 2560 X 1440 and Lenovo 1920 X 1080 via a Lenovo docking station to test a separate resolution issue with the monitors. After disconnecting the laptop, the scale was 100% and 4K everything was very small and too hard to read.

From that point onward, when I opened my Windows Explorer, it would freeze and say 'Working on it...' as if it was loading.

I've that changing screen resolution may effect the use of the Windows Explorer. Is that true and how I can solve this issue?

-Chris

:)

#ChrisW, Feb 10, 2021
  2. Mussels Win User

2x Identical Monitors, Resolution stretched on one.

please list:

resolution of all monitors (native, set in windows)

connection methods per monitor (DVI, HDMI etc)

what settings you've adjusted - resizing, HDMI scaling, etc. (on monitor/video drivers as applicable)

Mussels, Feb 10, 2021
  3. I cannot set my screen resolution with Windows 10

went to my computer this morning and the screen formatting is messed up. I am running windows 10 with a 20" monitor and cannot adjust the screen resolution to 1600 x 1200. The defaults resolutions in windows 10 do not list my suggested resolution for a
    20" monitor. Have no idea why this changed overnight and a can't fix it. I have been running windows 10 for a long time.

JoyceStewartYW, Feb 10, 2021
  4. Windows Explorer freezes after adjusting screen resolution and connection to a monitor

Second monitor screen resolution problem

Hi,

For us to properly isolate the issue with your second monitor screen resolution, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?

• When did the issue first begin?

• To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you try resetting your monitor settings, and check if the issue still persists. You may refer to your monitor on how to reset it.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Feb 10, 2021
Thema:

Windows Explorer freezes after adjusting screen resolution and connection to a monitor

1. Windows Explorer freezes after adjusting screen resolution and connection to a monitor - Similar Threads - Explorer freezes adjusting

2. RDP windows resolution can't auto-adjust monitor screen resolution.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RDP windows resolution can't auto-adjust monitor screen resolution.: Hi,I'm using RDP to connect to my own Hyper-V Virtual Machine. and I have 2nd monitor which is bigger 27inch, don't know how to look the resolution. Issue is when I connect to my RDP, the windows display resolution cannot auto adjust according to the monitor size. I was...
  3. RDP windows resolution can't auto-adjust monitor screen resolution.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RDP windows resolution can't auto-adjust monitor screen resolution.: Hi,I'm using RDP to connect to my own Hyper-V Virtual Machine. and I have 2nd monitor which is bigger 27inch, don't know how to look the resolution. Issue is when I connect to my RDP, the windows display resolution cannot auto adjust according to the monitor size. I was...
  4. Auto Adjust Resolution When Connecting External Monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Auto Adjust Resolution When Connecting External Monitor: Hi,So whenever i plug in my external monitor, the screen does not auto adjust resolution, maintains the same resolution as the laptop's first screen and I have to manually set it, I believe there is a way to have the monitor automatically adjust to the external monitor...
  5. Auto Adjust Resolution When Connecting External Monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Auto Adjust Resolution When Connecting External Monitor: Hi,So whenever i plug in my external monitor, the screen does not auto adjust resolution, maintains the same resolution as the laptop's first screen and I have to manually set it, I believe there is a way to have the monitor automatically adjust to the external monitor...
  6. Displayport Connection + Monitor sleep = Resolution Reset & Windows Explorer crashes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Displayport Connection + Monitor sleep = Resolution Reset & Windows Explorer crashes: Hi, Hoping someone can help. A couple of weeks ago, I got a new monitor - well, a 43" 4K TV. For the first time I'm connecting with the Mini Displayport port on my laptop, which connects to the TV with HDMI at the other end. It largely works great. However, if I lock...
  7. Window Explorer explorer.exe freezes on startup with two monitors connected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Window Explorer explorer.exe freezes on startup with two monitors connected: I have two monitors one both 1080p one is 280hz connected with Display Port 1.2 the other is 144hz connected with DVI-D. If I have the Display Port monitor set as my primary display, windows explorer freezes when I start up my computer and log in, I then restart it in task...
  8. Adjust screen resolution

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adjust screen resolution: My display is too large, and many of the icons live at or over the edge of the screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adjust-screen-resolution/03dc5485-e00b-4d4b-afd8-30f61a5630d0
  9. Adjust low resolutions to fit screen

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Adjust low resolutions to fit screen: Hi there another possibility is with these types of screens is to use the HARDWARE menu (remote if you have a remote controller) or via a button to get the on screen menu. Look for something like Auto re-size or similar on the picture menu. Do this from the monitor -- not...
  10. Generic PnP/Can't adjust monitor resolution correctly.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Generic PnP/Can't adjust monitor resolution correctly.: Hello. My computer currently has 3 monitors connected to it. 2 through the graphics card (R9 280), 1 through the integrated graphics (AMD HD 3000). Not sure when why or how, but the integrated graphics card can never pick up what type of monitor is connected to it... so it...