Windows 10: Windows Explorer Freezes after wakeup

Discus and support Windows Explorer Freezes after wakeup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Not every time, but occasionally. The desktop is visible and the mouse pointer moves but no activity can be started. That is, clicking on an icon... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tcebob, Jan 31, 2019.

1. tcebob Win User

Windows Explorer Freezes after wakeup

Not every time, but occasionally. The desktop is visible and the mouse pointer moves but no activity can be started. That is, clicking on an icon produces no results. After a minute or so a box pops up saying something like "an application has stopped working. Windows Explorer. Terminate the application or wait for it to activate?" Waiting does nothing and terminating results in a blank screen with background color and mouse pointer. There is no alternative other than to turn off the computer and reboot.

It is possible that this has something to do with Classic Start Menu, which I have used happily for years. I realize that CSM is out of development but this symptom just started about a month ago. I'm still using 1803 17134.523.

I disabled CSM last week and used the native start menu, with no errors, for about a week, then re-activated CSM. After a day the problem resumed. So now I'm back to MS start menu.

I can live with that, though it is awkward and less user friendly. But the search box is gone and I use it frequently. The MS search produces quite different results.

I've applied Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:E:\Source\Install.esd:1 and SFC /scannow, and all appears OK.

:)

tcebob, Jan 31, 2019

2. Windows Explorer Replacement?

are you running IE7? if not that wouold be my first suggestion,upgrade to ie7 that can fix some stability issues with windows explorer

Athlon2K15, Jan 31, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 31, 2019
  4. Windows Explorer Freezes after wakeup

Windows Explorer freeze

Hi Igor,

For us to better assist you, we'd like to ask a few questions with regard to freezing File Explorer.

• Have you made any changes to your computer before experiencing this issue?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps before posting this concern? If yes, what are those?

Looking forward to your response.

Reymichael Ros, Jan 31, 2019
Thema:

Windows Explorer Freezes after wakeup

1. Windows Explorer Freezes after wakeup - Similar Threads - Explorer Freezes wakeup

2. Screen goes black after wakeup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen goes black after wakeup: SCreen goes black when i was to wake the laptop after a sleep https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-goes-black-after-wakeup/cbad25ba-fc51-477b-b28d-80dc17941add
  3. Screen goes black after wakeup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen goes black after wakeup: SCreen goes black when i was to wake the laptop after a sleep https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-goes-black-after-wakeup/cbad25ba-fc51-477b-b28d-80dc17941add
  4. Screen goes black after wakeup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows Explorer freezes after Windows 10 wakes. .

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Explorer freezes after Windows 10 wakes. .: A recent required update is causing my desktop computer to malfunction. I installed Windows 10 several months ago and everything worked fine. Now I'm forced to restart and wait for a long shutdown and boot up. Then everything works until the system again sleeps. Logging off...
  6. BSOD - unexpected_store_exception after sleep wakeup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD - unexpected_store_exception after sleep wakeup: I'm having issues with this error random appearing since I build my computer. Its not always after sleep, only sometimes and for some reason it goes in periods. Few weeks with no BSOD and then three times in a row after waking up from sleep.I've tried updating everything I...
  7. Monitors are blank after wakeup

Monitors are blank after wakeup: When I wake up the system from sleep, the monitors are blank. The keyboard does not show activity - its LED indicators, such as Caps Lock or Num Lock, do not light up when pressing the respective keys. If I soft reset the system, the same thing happens. I have to forcefully...
  8. BSOD - unexpected_store_exception after sleep wakeup or hybernate wakeup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD - unexpected_store_exception after sleep wakeup or hybernate wakeup: I build new PC, and since beginning I'm getting randomly BSOD, when I wake up PC from sleep or hybernation. I run the chkdsk and also memtest, they both passed. Thx for help. The BSOD says: unexpected_store_exception the minidump is debugged below. Microsoft R Windows...
  9. Windows 10 freezing on wakeup

Windows 10 freezing on wakeup: So, I've had my Windows 10 desktop for a few years, but ever since I replaced almost every part in it a year ago, I've been having continual problems popping up. Recently, upon doing a repair install for my computer, almost all of the problems I was having at the time were...
  10. Black screen after wakeup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black screen after wakeup: When I wake up the computer, the screen shows the log in screen for a second and then it turns black. I turn the screen off and then back on, and I the screen turns on for an instant and then it goes black again. I have to do this four times before the screen stays on. I...