Windows 10: Windows Explorer freezing

Discus and support Windows Explorer freezing in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I have a Surface Book 2 running Windows 10 Pro and for the past few days my Windows Explorer routinely freezes. Whenever I touch a file icon... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MicahMcElroy, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Windows Explorer freezing

Hello,

I have a Surface Book 2 running Windows 10 Pro and for the past few days my Windows Explorer routinely freezes. Whenever I touch a file icon or try to drag anything from the Windows Explorer pane, Explorer becomes unresponsive and ultimately crashes and restarts.

I have:

Updated all my drivers with DriverEasy.

Updated Windows 10.

Ran a full virus scan with Norton. (No results)

Ran system maintenance. (No results)

Ran a Windows Memory Diagnostic. (No results)

Ran SFC and Chkdsk scans. (No results)

Changed Windows Explorer settings to "disable thumbnails" and "launch folder windows in a separate process."

Cleared Window Explorer history.

For a moment changing Windows Explorer to launch folder windows in a separate process fixed my problem, but it soon returned. A few minutes ago I tried dragging a .doc file into an email composed in Gmail, which caused Windows Explorer to freeze. I also created a new account, which seemed to relieve the problem, but I don't have access to my files or administrative privileges.

:)

MicahMcElroy, Nov 27, 2018

2. Windows Explorer Replacement?

are you running IE7? if not that wouold be my first suggestion,upgrade to ie7 that can fix some stability issues with windows explorer

Athlon2K15, Nov 27, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 27, 2018
  4. Windows Explorer freezing

Windows Explorer freeze

Hi Igor,

For us to better assist you, we'd like to ask a few questions with regard to freezing File Explorer.

• Have you made any changes to your computer before experiencing this issue?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps before posting this concern? If yes, what are those?

Looking forward to your response.

Reymichael Ros, Nov 27, 2018
Thema:

Windows Explorer freezing

1. Windows Explorer freezing - Similar Threads - Explorer freezing

2. Why is Windows 10 File Explorer "freezing" and looping when I try to rename a file...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why is Windows 10 File Explorer "freezing" and looping when I try to rename a file...: The problem has been solved by TURNING OFF "DETAILS PANE" in the VIEW settings. I have a two year old HP SPECTRE notebook running on Windows 10. About two months ago, I began having trouble renaming Word and Excel files; it may have been after an update from Microsoft for my...
  3. Flickering file explorer and window sliders - interface freeze for 5 seconds frequently...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Flickering file explorer and window sliders - interface freeze for 5 seconds frequently...: When I get this temporary freeze it stops me typing, and I cannot use the mouse for 5-10 seconds or longer until the system does a flicker and then unfreezes. I also see a delay for the cursor to allow me to type into a box. This is very annoying and slows down my work....
  4. File Explorer keeps freezing when I right click

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer keeps freezing when I right click: I keep trying to right click on File Explorer but it will just freeze, and to close it I have to open Task Manager. I tried googling it but all I could find were Malware Guides that want you to download their special virus cleaner, or didn't relate to my problem. Please help....
  5. Windows explorer freezes when right clicking and hovering over "New"

Windows explorer freezes when right clicking and hovering over "New": It freezes for about 10 seconds, but then it works. I tried many things: using ShellExView to disable extensions, uninstalling some programs, running in safe mode, I used DISM to check for health, nothing worked. Windows is updated, drivers are updated, I don't know what to...
  6. Windows Explorer freezes for a few seconds whenever I drag files out of the window

Windows Explorer freezes for a few seconds whenever I drag files out of the window: I’ve been trying to drag and drop files out of the windows explorer window and the pc stops being responsive and freezes up,after it stops freezing it goes back to normal without it completing theaction and it leaves a screen burn there. submitted by /u/sunyoid [link]...
  7. Explorer use 25% CPU and freeze up PC

Explorer use 25% CPU and freeze up PC: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 16GB RAM, 8 core CPU Task manager shows Explorer can use up to 25% CPU, not matter whether I have an Explorer window opens or not. When it spikes up, the PC freeze and not responsive to user interaction. Audio play may continue but video will be...
  8. FIle Explorer keeps freezing

FIle Explorer keeps freezing: This morning Windows Update applied 3 updates, KB4484126 for Office, KB4484238 for Office, and KB4549951 for WIndows 1909. Since then File Explorer has repeatedly locked up. It will quit displaying file previews in the preview pane, sometimes it won't even show the files in...
  9. File explorer freezes up whole computer as soon as I open it

File explorer freezes up whole computer as soon as I open it: Hi all After working on a project in Adobe after effects, my computer is now locking up completely whenever I open file explorer. submitted by /u/XanaduChild [link] [comments]...
  10. Windows Explorer Freezing Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer Freezing Windows 10: Hello, I have a small problem that almost every time i want to create a new folder or file Windows Explorer freezes and restarts this takes my time because i need the new files for job etc. Can you please help me solve this? I have Windows 10 64x 1909 ....