Windows 10: Windows explorer hangs in CPU-intensive loop when left-clicking or right-clicking an Excel file

Discus and support Windows explorer hangs in CPU-intensive loop when left-clicking or right-clicking an Excel file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Running Windows 10 version 1809. I have a frequently-updated spreadsheet on my desktop (C:\Users\<me>\Desktop). When I double-click the desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JosephBinter, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Windows explorer hangs in CPU-intensive loop when left-clicking or right-clicking an Excel file

Running Windows 10 version 1809.

I have a frequently-updated spreadsheet on my desktop (C:\Users\<me>\Desktop). When I double-click the desktop link Excel opens the spreadsheet. When I right-click the desktop link a context menu appears, and I can open the spreadsheet or copy it using that context menu.

I usually copy the updated spreadsheet to a separate drive for backup. In Windows explorer, if I right-click this backup version, Windows Explorer enters a loop using 6-7% of the CPU, per task manager, and task manager shows its status to be "Not responding". I have 16 processors, so that 6-7% represents a single processor in a tight loop. Excel doesn't come up, no matter how long I wait, but task manager shows that Excel/COM Surrogate (32 bit) is running, consuming 0% of the cpu. (When I successfully open Excel by double-clicking the desktop link to the spreadsheet, task manager shows two things active under Excel: Microsoft Excel (32 bit) and COM Surrogate (32 bit).)

I can kill the looping instance of explorer by clicking the "X". When I kill Explorer by clicking the "X", the Excel/COM Surrogate remains visible in task manager. ( If I kill Windows Explorer with task manager, it kills all instances of explorer, including my desktop, so I avoid that.)

It actually isn't the choice of folder that matters, because if I point Windows Explorer to the original file in C:\Users\<me>\Desktop\ and click on <spreadsheet>, it hangs explorer the same way.

If I start an instance of command prompt, I can CD either to the desktop folder or to the folder containing the copied spreadsheet, and launch Excel successfully using the command:
    excel .\<spreadsheet>.

:)

JosephBinter, Feb 22, 2019
  2. Sasqui Win User

Explorer hangs for a second when right clicking empty space

Are you talking windows explorer or internet explorer?

First thought, some sort of timeout problem. Explorer is trying to connect to something that isn't there or not responding.

Edit: I just saw this... so windows explorer:

I've seen similar behavior in Excel when a network printer (that was the default) wasn't available, Excel would hang for a second on just about every click. Solution was to change the default printer to PDF or something local. I'm only saying that because something analogous could be happening in your case.

Edit2:

Read this: Troubleshooting Right Click Issues Caused by Shell Extensions

Sasqui, Feb 22, 2019
  3. erocker Win User
    right click crashes explorer

I'm thinking you have a program installed on your machine that integrates itself into Windows shell that is messed up. An example would be a program like imageburn or Catalyst control center that puts itself into the "right-click list". If you've installed any programs recently, try uninstalling them.

erocker, Feb 22, 2019
  4. Windows explorer hangs in CPU-intensive loop when left-clicking or right-clicking an Excel file

mouse right click will not open my file explorer in taskbar

Hello Carl,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. We will assist you to resolve this issue.

• What happens when you left clicking?
    • When you say right click, do you actually mean left click?
    • Which all troubleshooting steps have you already tried to resolve this issue?

Left clicking with mouse will open File explorer or any other programs. Whereas right click will give you context menu.

I suggest you to right-click on the File Explorer
    on the task bar and select Unpin from Taskbar. Now in the search bar type
    File Explorer and right click on it and select Pin it to Taskbar
    and check if it helps.

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Feb 22, 2019
Thema:

Windows explorer hangs in CPU-intensive loop when left-clicking or right-clicking an Excel file

1. Windows explorer hangs in CPU-intensive loop when left-clicking or right-clicking an Excel file - Similar Threads - explorer hangs CPU

2. Explore restarts when right-clicking the list on the left

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explore restarts when right-clicking the list on the left: HelloI am facing problem when right click on folder list on left side of explorer, when right click and select anything, like "open new window", properties",... Explorer will restart. when right click after 10 seconds explorer will restart...
  3. window-10 hanging problem when I right click or left click on a desktop file name.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    window-10 hanging problem when I right click or left click on a desktop file name.: how to fix the hung problem when I right click or left click on a desktop file name? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-10-hanging-problem-when-i-right-click-or/97fd4d6e-1f41-4644-895b-1105121bbdeb
  4. window-10 hanging problem when I right click or left click on a desktop file name.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    window-10 hanging problem when I right click or left click on a desktop file name.: how to fix the hung problem when I right click or left click on a desktop file name? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-10-hanging-problem-when-i-right-click-or/97fd4d6e-1f41-4644-895b-1105121bbdeb
  5. window-10 hanging problem when I right click or left click on a desktop file name.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Explorer.exe hangs when right clicking on desktop or in file explorer.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Explorer.exe hangs when right clicking on desktop or in file explorer.: Basically it crashes when I right click in explorer application or desktop so I cant delete files using mouse or create files. Also first time today onedrive crashed with it and I was instantly able to right click again. Usually it goes away after 2minutes and happens again...
  7. File explorer hangs when pressing right click on anything

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer hangs when pressing right click on anything: So, most of the times I want to use something, the Windows File Explorer hangs, I tried almost anything and nothing fixes it, some people told me that updating windows fixes it, but I did it and nothing. submitted by /u/Izanaski [link] [comments]...
  8. Right-clicking on a WAV file will hang Explorer

Right-clicking on a WAV file will hang Explorer: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/976417/high-cpu-usage-in-the-explorer-exe-process-when-you-open-a-folder-that This problem was allegedly fixed with Windows 10, but that's not the case on my machine. Explorer will hang mf.dll when trying to read metadata on a .wav...
  9. Right click hangs for File Explorer

Right click hangs for File Explorer: I have an issue that just started, and I could use some help. I want to format a hard drive, but when I ues File Explorer and right click on it to do this, I just get " not responding" Can anyone help me to fix this please? Thank you...
  10. Left-Click and right-click not work after right-click on File Explorer (in task bar)

Left-Click and right-click not work after right-click on File Explorer (in task bar): when I right-click on file explorer to try to open frequent or pinned folder, left-click or right-click on folder name are resulting in nothing happen but I can still pin or unpin folder normally....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. spreadsheet hangs explorer