Windows 10: Windows Explorer hangs, then crashes if you open "This PC"... folder windows function as...

Discus and support Windows Explorer hangs, then crashes if you open "This PC"... folder windows function as... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Source Windows Explorer Summary Stopped responding and was closed Date ‎10/‎29/‎2018 10:37 AM Status Report sent Description A problem caused this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by SchoolITPro, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Windows Explorer hangs, then crashes if you open "This PC"... folder windows function as...

Source
    Windows Explorer

Summary
    Stopped responding and was closed

Date
    ‎10/‎29/‎2018 10:37 AM

Status
    Report sent

Description
    A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
    Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: AppHangXProcB1
    Application Name: explorer.exe
    Application Version: 10.0.16299.214
    Application Timestamp: 9b99aba6
    Hang Signature: 388f
    Hang Type: 134217792
    Waiting on Application Name: dllhost.exe
    Waiting on Application Version: 10.0.16299.15
    OS Version: 10.0.16299.2.0.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Hang Signature 1: 388f643b2d3ada6958e25f4cfeab252a
    Additional Hang Signature 2: 1dfa
    Additional Hang Signature 3: 1dfafc678fa23774ef47839ea6feacef
    Additional Hang Signature 4: 388f
    Additional Hang Signature 5: 388f643b2d3ada6958e25f4cfeab252a
    Additional Hang Signature 6: 1dfa
    Additional Hang Signature 7: 1dfafc678fa23774ef47839ea6feacef

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: c5a18a5c9bcbd8f7f565cdca38e9879f (1541864715866179487)

How can I diagnose what is causing the problem?

Any ideas how to restore functionality?

:)

SchoolITPro, Oct 29, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 29, 2018
  3. jsmin Win User
    Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Oct 29, 2018
  4. Harvy Win User

Windows Explorer hangs, then crashes if you open "This PC"... folder windows function as...

Windows explorer crashing

Hi,

I am having the same problem as the OP in this thread.
    Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

I have tried the fixes listed in the above thread and I am getting the same error message as 'ktadie' (post 16). I think this is because I am running Windows 7 Professional. Windows explorer crashes when I open my 'Films' folder on my brand new 2tb external HDD. I have about 300 .avi files in this folder and some of the .avi files are several years old.

In short I believe I need the same fix given by 'Wile E' (post 7) but updated for Windows 7 Professional.

Thanks in advance.

Harvy, Oct 29, 2018
Thema:

Windows Explorer hangs, then crashes if you open "This PC"... folder windows function as...

1. Windows Explorer hangs, then crashes if you open "This PC"... folder windows function as... - Similar Threads - Explorer hangs crashes

2. Windows explorer continues to hang and crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows explorer continues to hang and crash: For months now Windows 11 Explorer has been both hanging and crashing. I have provided feedback via Feedback Hub here https://aka.ms/AAlglrr - please upvote if you have the same issue. I have implemented all the usual fixes from clearing cache, deleting automatic and custom...
  3. Windows explorer continues to hang and crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows explorer continues to hang and crash: For months now Windows 11 Explorer has been both hanging and crashing. I have provided feedback via Feedback Hub here https://aka.ms/AAlglrr - please upvote if you have the same issue. I have implemented all the usual fixes from clearing cache, deleting automatic and custom...
  4. Windows 10 file explorer "Open With" hang or crash.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 file explorer "Open With" hang or crash.: When opening any file double left click from File Explorer there is a 23 second delay. This happens for .txt file notepad .doc word .pdf pdf-xchange .xls excel. When right clicking on a file, the main properties menu opens but when the "open with" context menu is selected...
  5. Pc hanging when opening a 10gb+ folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pc hanging when opening a 10gb+ folder: Last year I moved many photos I have taken from my phone to my pc as it's more than 10gb. My PC was able to load the folder that time, there was no problem at all.. Now I can't open it. Whenever I try to open my RAM usage peaks to 99. I cleared all my games and there is...
  6. Windows Explorer crashes when opening a folder in a new window

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer crashes when opening a folder in a new window: I don't remember exactly when it started happening but for some reason I've recently run into the problem where Windows Explorer will crash or at least freeze for a bit and then close all WE windows that are open when right-clicking a folder and selecting "Open in new...
  7. Windows Explorer hangs om opening

Windows Explorer hangs om opening: Why does my Windows explored app hang when opening? It doesn't operate at all despite a 'working on it' message. can it be fixed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-explorer-hangs-om-opening/16d19633-d752-440c-97d9-716b2c9dd491"
  8. Windows Explorer Crashed With Important Folders Opened

Windows Explorer Crashed With Important Folders Opened: I had about 25+ folders opened on my PC for work and Windows Explorer crashed is there anyway to recover each file at once without doing it manually or will I need to find and open them all each one by one again?...
  9. File Explorer keeps hanging and crashing and not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer keeps hanging and crashing and not opening: Totally frustrated. I am a SW developer for the last 20 years... And I cannot open the w10 file explorer without it being crashed or hanged. Sometimes windows will be kind and open it when right clicking and sometimes not. This is totally unbelievable. I even don't feel...
  10. Explorer hangs when opening OneDrive folder

Explorer hangs when opening OneDrive folder: Explorer hangs when opening OneDrive folder. If I start Windows (10) in safe mode then it will open the Onedrive folder fine, but fails to open the file successfully, the associated app will open but fail to load the file. I have done all of the basics such as sfc, dism and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hang type 134217792

2. explorer hang

3. problem event name: apphangxprocb1application name: explorer.exe

4. windows 10 this pchangs,
  5. windows explorer crashing waiting on dllhost,
  6. 134217792,
  7. windows 10 explorer hanging dllhost.exe