Windows 10: Windows explorer hangs when opening any Office files

Discus and support Windows explorer hangs when opening any Office files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am using a Surface Tablet 6 with windows 10. When I try to open a Word, Excel, Powerpoint by double clicking on the file, Windows Explorer just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DapsF, Dec 31, 2018.

1. DapsF Win User

Windows explorer hangs when opening any Office files

I am using a Surface Tablet 6 with windows 10.

When I try to open a Word, Excel, Powerpoint by double clicking on the file, Windows Explorer just hangs with the spinning wheel. I can open the files if i do it from the application.

The files have been tested from onedrive and from the c:\ and the same issue happens.

i am on version 10.0.17134 Build 17134

I have tried a clean boot and run safety scanner and the issue remains.

This started occurring since the last set of windows updates.

:)

DapsF, Dec 31, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 31, 2018
  3. esmorax Win User
    Windows 10 Office 365 cannot open files from: recent file list

Thanks for the tip! I followed all above steps.

So far I can open files from the Recent files list when I enter Word itself, however I still am unable to open any documents using the Word icon pinned to the taskbar:

Windows explorer hangs when opening any Office files [​IMG]

-

esmorax, Dec 31, 2018
  4. tater1955 Win User

I need to convert Quattro pro files to windows Office 2007

The link says for Office 2000 and 2003. Will this work for 2007?

tater1955, Dec 31, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows explorer hangs when opening any Office files - Similar Threads - explorer hangs opening

2. Hang explorer and office product

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hang explorer and office product: HiAfter update my device i have a serious problem with my office and explorer in windows 10.After this update every office product such as excel , outlook ,.... keep crashing and explorer keep hanging and to solve this problem we should change the windows or i should unplug...
  3. Hang explorer and office product

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hang explorer and office product: HiAfter update my device i have a serious problem with my office and explorer in windows 10.After this update every office product such as excel , outlook ,.... keep crashing and explorer keep hanging and to solve this problem we should change the windows or i should unplug...
  4. Hang explorer and office product

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. File Explorer keeps hanging when it opens

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer keeps hanging when it opens: File Explorer keeps hanging when launching or when resizing the window. Some times it will un-hang by itself after a while if left alone, otherwise it will crash. I had an issue where Windows applications such as Task Manager or Settings where taking too long to launch from...
  6. Explorer hangs when opening a zip file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Explorer hangs when opening a zip file: It typically remains unresponsive for 5-10 seconds until it finally display the contents of the zip file. Extracting files is also relatively slow. This is on a i7-U6500 with 16 GB LPDDR3 laptop, so that should not be the problem. I have no add-ons or extensions to Explorer...
  7. Windows explorer hangs when trying to open a word or excel file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows explorer hangs when trying to open a word or excel file: HI Team I am facing a problem while trying to open an excel file or word document from windows explorer. If I try to double click/press enter after selecting the file name, windows explorer doesn't respond. I have to forcefully close it. Steps followed Open windows...
  8. File Explorer hangs when trying to interract with Microsoft Office documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer hangs when trying to interract with Microsoft Office documents: I have had this problem before, but it went away on its own and now it has reappeared again. Any excel or word document in my folders cannot be interacted with. I cannot even delete them, when I press on them with right click, try to move them anywhere or try to open them...
  9. Windows Explorer hangs when accessing Office files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Explorer hangs when accessing Office files: Hi, I have a strange issue with Windows Explorer. If I try to access an Office file only tried Word and Excel files then Explorer hangs and requires a restart via Task Manager. I have tried a number of other file types and they are OK. A reboot of the PC did not stop the...
  10. Windows 19 - File explorer hangs when preview on only for Office file types

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 19 - File explorer hangs when preview on only for Office file types: New Dell Inspiron 15 3000 with Windows 10 - Explorer hangs when you click an office file (left or right mouse button) only when preview is on -and this is only on office files - pdf and others work fine - surely Microsoft can get info to resolve this - I see many people with...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file explorer hangs windows 10 when opening MS Office

2. windows 10 explorer hangs opening microsoft files

3. Open 93 File

4. explorer hangs when opening documents,
  5. file explorer hangs opening office365 files from onedrive,
  6. explorer hangs when attempting to access office files,
  7. microsoft office 2007 network files hang during opening,
  8. windows explorer hangs when opning a file,
  9. issue with opening word file in file explorer and it freezes,
  10. spreadsheet hangs explorer,
  11. windows explorer freezes when office is opened,