Windows 10: Windows Explorer: Have each folder retain its size, position, settings

Discus and support Windows Explorer: Have each folder retain its size, position, settings in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows Explorer: Have each folder retain its size, position, settings I do recall that in previous versions of windows one of the features was the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jamvaru, Apr 4, 2019.

1. jamvaru Win User

Windows Explorer: Have each folder retain its size, position, settings

I do recall that in previous versions of windows one of the features was the ability to customize a folder including background art. The folder would remember where it was, what size it was, and what individual settings it had like the size of icons or if it was in display mode with the columns.

Now, whenever I change any option in any folder, like changing the size, it will use the same option when opening a completely different folder. I tried with 'open each folder in a separate window', same thing.

It does seem to remember the icon settings, but i've experienced having it change the size of the icons on me.

I just tried it again and it is remembering the icon settings. Some folders open in 'details', others in icons.

So that is good, but i specifically want it to remember the size and shape of the window. All the folders open into the size and shape of the window you last closed.

How can i make it so each folder remembers its OWN size and shape? (and hopefully also position)

:)

jamvaru, Apr 4, 2019
  2. dalchina Win User

Windows (File Explorer) not retaining my set size and position?

You might try this trick- I've not checked if it works in '10...
    How to keep your window size? - OS Customization, Tips and Tweaks - Neowin

Normally, if all is well, this is not a problem. There are 3rd party programs that claim to deal with this, but really they should not be necessary- it suggests some form of corruption.

DeskSoft - WindowManager - Window position and size manager
    (Commercial)
    WinSize2 download | SourceForge.net
    (Free - Note only seems to be specified to Win 8)

You may wish to try an in-place upgrade repair install which keeps all data and programs in the hope that registry entries are corrected.

Example: I observed this registry change which appears related to changing the size of a file explorer window and closing it:

Windows Explorer: Have each folder retain its size, position, settings [​IMG]

dalchina, Apr 4, 2019
  3. lx07 Win User

Hmmm for WinDBG I found the File >Save Workspace updates the position that it will open.

I tried the shift/ctrl/both but nothing made a difference.

It turns out it saves it to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windbg\Workspaces and changes (in binary notation) the location starting in x0348 but only when you click "Save Workspace"

This is fullscreen for example:

And this is not:

I found positions x0360 onwards hold the position of the Window and you can move where it opens by updating registry (although I can't understand the logic for what numbers to put in I just copied them).

This is obviously not very helpful but it seems it is the case that some programs store their starting window positions in any odd place and (seemingly) it is completely up to them where they put it.

lx07, Apr 4, 2019
  4. Windows Explorer: Have each folder retain its size, position, settings

I've noticed this problem with many of the internal programs such as file explorer, that will open up in an unusable size and position, and even after I adjust those to my preferred settings, they always revert back.

Is there a fix for this that will allow me to set the size and position of any window in Win10 and it will remain that way?

Winneh da Pu, Apr 4, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Explorer: Have each folder retain its size, position, settings - Similar Threads - Explorer each folder

2. Windows 11 File Explorer does not retain its size and location on the screen.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 File Explorer does not retain its size and location on the screen.: Hello. Using the Windows 11 Pro operating system, I encountered an error. When I open the Explorer program, I adjust its size using arrows in different corners of the Explorer window and location on the computer screen. The problem is that by closing the explorer and opening...
  3. Windows 11 File Explorer does not retain its size and location on the screen.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 File Explorer does not retain its size and location on the screen.: Hello. Using the Windows 11 Pro operating system, I encountered an error. When I open the Explorer program, I adjust its size using arrows in different corners of the Explorer window and location on the computer screen. The problem is that by closing the explorer and opening...
  4. Windows Explorer Not Retaining Settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer Not Retaining Settings: I have Windows 11 and am using a Lenovo Idea Pad. I use this computer mainly for designing, using lightburn laser software. Because of this, I have a large amount of SVG files saved, and I set my view to extra large in file explorer. When I attempt to open a file in my...
  5. Windows Explorer Not Retaining Settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer Not Retaining Settings: I have Windows 11 and am using a Lenovo Idea Pad. I use this computer mainly for designing, using lightburn laser software. Because of this, I have a large amount of SVG files saved, and I set my view to extra large in file explorer. When I attempt to open a file in my...
  6. Windows don't remember folder size / position

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows don't remember folder size / position: Goodmorning.Yesterday i tried to re-install Windows 11 because on my previous Windows 11 i had a problem where when i open "file explorer" which is pinned on my taskbar it will always openon its default folder size / position . When i first install Windows 11 yesterday it...
  7. File explorer-Size of each file same as whole folder

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer-Size of each file same as whole folder: Hello, I have a problem with JPEG and Mp4 files cutted and pasted from my android device via cable to my laptop. Had no problems, when transferring files, but when finished, whole size of the folder changed. What should be the size of the whole folder (12,6GB) is now the...
  8. Retain window sizes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Retain window sizes: When enlarging a window, next time I open the window it is small again. This happens in several applications. Is there a general parameter for this or.... It doesn't seems to be associated with a specific apps, but rather a more general issue. I've never had a problem...
  9. Windows Explorer folder sizes and positions in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer folder sizes and positions in Windows 10: I have two laptops (stopped using desktops years ago) that came with Windows 7 Pro. As MS will stop supporting W 7 next year, I decided to buy a new W 10 Pro licence and install onto a separate drive. I am a heavy user of Windows Explorer for displaying the contents of...
  10. Windows (File Explorer) not retaining my set size and position?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows (File Explorer) not retaining my set size and position?: I've noticed this problem with many of the internal programs such as file explorer, that will open up in an unusable size and position, and even after I adjust those to my preferred settings, they always revert back. Is there a fix for this that will allow me to set the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 open folder with its own seize and position