Windows 10: Windows Explorer hides *SOME* files visible on Desktop

Discus and support Windows Explorer hides *SOME* files visible on Desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I'm having a problem with a brand new Dell XPS 15" computer regarding what files and folders it hides. Here's a picture of what is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by blahoobadyhoo, May 15, 2018.

1. Windows Explorer hides *SOME* files visible on Desktop

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with a brand new Dell XPS 15" computer regarding what files and folders it hides.
    Here's a picture of what is happening.

Windows Explorer hides *SOME* files visible on Desktop [​IMG]

I have tried all the usual suspects. It is not marked as "Hidden" in the properties. I always enable "seeing hidden files and folders" when I get a new computer in file explorer options. I have never had this happen to me on any computer and I am coming right off the heels of another windows 10 laptop. This is the only instance of this problem I have found yet, but I'm afraid of what other files it will hide for no reason and drive me insane.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

Windows 10 Pro Build 17134
    Dell XPS 15" 9560
    i7-7700HQ

:)

blahoobadyhoo, May 15, 2018
  2. Neox99 Win User

Big Surprise - Missing Desktop files

I routinely have files on my desktop that are not visible. The only Icon on a black desktop is the recycle bin. Therefore there is NO place for a file's icon to hide yet they are not there. Viewing the desktop with the File Explorer shows them ON the desktop
    but, as stated, they are not!

Neox99, May 16, 2018
  3. Baffin Win User
    File Explorer is not hiding empty USB drives, despite setting to 'hide empty drives'

In Win10 File Explorer, I've set the option to 'Hide empty drives' (View->Options->View).

When I click 'This PC', the empty drives are shown but greyed out. But in the Folder Navigation Pane (left side of window), the drives are shown normally -- they appear as just a drive letter, eg., "(LWindows Explorer hides *SOME* files visible on Desktop :)". I expect/want them to not be listed. Instead,
    they are listed twice, once under 'This PC' and again under 'Desktop'. Five such empty USB drives are listed, so that's 10 lines that I wish would be hidden to allow more useful info to appear (cut down on scrolling).

Is there a way to hide empty drives, ie., drives with no media?

('Disk Management' nicely hides them in its top subwindow, and lists them as in its bottom list with 'no media'.)

I did a search on this and found lots of people similarly looking for solutions, but found no clear working solution (none that look worth trying scary-looking registry edits).

Is this a known Microsoft bug (if so, is there a bug status listing?), or is there some setting I'm not aware of?

Thanks for any help.

This is a desktop system running up-to-date Win10 as of Sept 15, 2016. If there's a better forum for this question, pls mention it.

Baffin, May 16, 2018
Thema:

Windows Explorer hides *SOME* files visible on Desktop

1. Windows Explorer hides *SOME* files visible on Desktop - Similar Threads - Explorer hides *SOME*

2. some files can't be visible for everyone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    some files can't be visible for everyone: Dear Friends.We have a secure group for this folder, but when someone move some files or folders to this parent folder. the SG member can' t see the files except himself. How we make these files and folder can inherit the parent folder permission SG Is there any screenshot...
  3. All files in Desktop are hidden, but are visible in the File Explorer> Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All files in Desktop are hidden, but are visible in the File Explorer> Desktop: Hi all,My wife cleaned up my keyboard in the afternoon and then all the files on the desktop are not visible anymore, but they are visible in File Explorer > desktop. So I'm wondering if there are any shortcuts or settings that are causing this. Here are the steps I've...
  4. All files in Desktop are hidden, but are visible in the File Explorer> Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All files in Desktop are hidden, but are visible in the File Explorer> Desktop: Hi all,My wife cleaned up my keyboard in the afternoon and then all the files on the desktop are not visible anymore, but they are visible in File Explorer > desktop. So I'm wondering if there are any shortcuts or settings that are causing this. Here are the steps I've...
  5. All files in Desktop are hidden, but are visible in the File Explorer> Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Hide the username in file explorer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hide the username in file explorer: Ok so basically this is a simple one but I somehow coudlnt find a solution to this...How can I hide the full name of my Windows Profile in the upper left corner of the file Explorer? I plan to record some stuff and I dont want people to see my real name...
  7. Open files not visible on desktop

Open files not visible on desktop: After my screensaver has been on, my open files are no longer visible on my desktop, so I can't see what's open. If I close down the computer, thinking I've closed everything, I can lose unsaved changes. Is there a setting I need to change somewhere so the open files always...
  8. File Explorer Opens but is not visible on the Desktop Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Opens but is not visible on the Desktop Windows 10: I open file windows explorer with Win+E and it is visible in the task bar, but it is not visible in the desktop and I cannot Alt+Tab to it. It appears to be on a different screen that I cannot access....
  9. File Explorer not hiding "tilde" files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer not hiding "tilde" files: Recently had my laptop drive updated to SSD. Probably had a bunch of updates done during this process. One thing that is driving me crazy since I got my laptop back is that File Explorer is showing all the files with the tilde character (~) and I can't get them to hide from...
  10. Hiding the Desktop Icon (Dropdown File Explorer)

Hiding the Desktop Icon (Dropdown File Explorer): Hello everyone, Hereby I would like to ask all of you for help on a problem me and my colleague have been tackling for the past couple of days now. We just can't seem to be able to crack this one. Situation: We are setting up our new Citrix farm and preparing our new...