Windows 10: Windows Explorer High CPU / Slow to display thumbnails

Discus and support Windows Explorer High CPU / Slow to display thumbnails in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Since I installed the May 2020 upgrade on Saturday night, Windows Explorer has gone to about 65% CPU usage when I add files to a admittedly large ~ 85k... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ChrisInUtah, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Windows Explorer High CPU / Slow to display thumbnails

Since I installed the May 2020 upgrade on Saturday night, Windows Explorer has gone to about 65% CPU usage when I add files to a admittedly large ~ 85k files directory on an external USB3 drive. Most of these files are images jpg with a few mp4s included. Sometimes I can save a file and Windows knows that the file exists if I try to save it again I get the overwrite dialog but it can take a couple of minutes for it to show up in Windows Explorer and, even then, it takes another couple of minutes for the thumbnail to appear. While I would like it to take about 5-10 seconds to display the file including the thumbnail like it did before the upgrade, the real concern is that all of that CPU usage is causing the processor to heat up badly.

I never had issues before the upgrade. I've tried everything I can find online - no malware, drive is in good shape, plenty of space - and nothing seems to help. I have a feeling this has something to do with the 2004 upgrade but I am out of ideas for what to try next.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

:)

ChrisInUtah, Sep 9, 2020
  2. Rick.T Win User

Windows 10 Display Blinking with High CPU

After upgrade to Windows 10, experiencing flashing display and high CPU.

• At initial logon screen everything is normal - wall paper and logon screen display with no blinking
    • After logon, fan starts as CPU usage spikes, cursor is accompanied by the spinning blue circle
    • touchscreen does not respond to swipe to access Recovery/Safe mode for reboot
    • able to get to Task Manager and Perfmon to see high CPU usage and explorer.exe is suspended
    looking for suggestions on how to either fix or roll back to Windows 8.1

Rick.T, Sep 9, 2020
  3. jsmin Win User
    Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Sep 9, 2020
  4. iangie Win User

Windows Explorer High CPU / Slow to display thumbnails

WIN10 1703 update cause Explorer.exe high CPU usage

I am using Surface Pro 3 (i5, 8G RAM)

After WIN10 v1703 update, Windows Explorer uses ~30-40% CPU.

If I uncheck "Show thumbnails instead of icons" in the Performance Options, the CPU usage of Windows Explorer reduces to ~0%

Any suggestion why showing thumbnails cause so high CPU usage in v1703?

Thanks!

iangie, Sep 9, 2020
Thema:

Windows Explorer High CPU / Slow to display thumbnails

1. Windows Explorer High CPU / Slow to display thumbnails - Similar Threads - Explorer High CPU

2. Slow thumbnail loading on SSD with Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow thumbnail loading on SSD with Windows Explorer: I have 4 drives. 1xKingston KC600, 1x970 Evo Plus and, 1x2TB HDD Seagate and a new 2TB PNY CS900 I just swapped my old HDD for. I tested this new SSD in some scenarios. Crystaldiskmark, which showed normal results 550mb/s read and 500mbs write and in loading Cyberpunk 2077,...
  3. Slow thumbnail loading on SSD with Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow thumbnail loading on SSD with Windows Explorer: I have 4 drives. 1xKingston KC600, 1x970 Evo Plus and, 1x2TB HDD Seagate and a new 2TB PNY CS900 I just swapped my old HDD for. I tested this new SSD in some scenarios. Crystaldiskmark, which showed normal results 550mb/s read and 500mbs write and in loading Cyberpunk 2077,...
  4. Slow thumbnail loading in SSD on Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow thumbnail loading in SSD on Windows Explorer: I have 4 drives. 1xKingston KC600, 1x970 Evo Plus and, 1x2TB HDD Seagate and a new 2TB PNY CS900 I just swapped my old HDD for. I tested this new SSD in some scenarios. Crystaldiskmark, which showed normal results 550mb/s read and 500mbs write and in loading Cyberpunk 2077,...
  5. Slow thumbnail loading in SSD on Windows Explorer

Slow thumbnail loading in SSD on Windows Explorer: I have 4 drives. 1xKingston KC600, 1x970 Evo Plus and, 1x2TB HDD Seagate and a new 2TB PNY CS900 I just swapped my old HDD for. I tested this new SSD in some scenarios. Crystaldiskmark, which showed normal results 550mb/s read and 500mbs write and in loading Cyberpunk 2077,...
  6. Thumbnails in Windows Explorer are Not Displayed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Thumbnails in Windows Explorer are Not Displayed: I've tried every solution described in this article, but I can't get Windows 10 Edu. 1909 64 bit to display thumbnails in Windows Explorer. "Always show icons, never thumbnails" in Windows Explorer is deactivated. Any help would be appreciated. submitted by /u/-Skybird-...
  7. Windows Explorer using high CPU.

Windows Explorer using high CPU.: Windows explorer is constantly using over 15% cpu for whatever reason and total cpu utilisation is up at 17% at idle . I've tried everything: uninstalling AVG Which was using similar cpu at the same time, deleting all shortcuts on the desktop, using the chkdsk commands,...
  8. high CPU usage by Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    high CPU usage by Windows Explorer: Hi, I was looking through the performance of my new msi laptop, and noticed Windows Explorer was using almost the same, if not more CPU than fusion360. Even with all apps closed and at idle, the program is still using up to 17% cpu. I've looked up causes for this, and one...
  9. Thumbnails not displaying in Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Thumbnails not displaying in Explorer: Thumbnails on my new laptop running Win10 are not displaying in Explorer or editing software. They show briefly after a folder opens and when I use the slider, they show for a split second as the mouse scrolls down. Otherwise only an icon shows....
  10. Explorer not displaying PDF thumbnails, but will display JPEGs

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer not displaying PDF thumbnails, but will display JPEGs: Hey Guys, this is an odd one. I have a new Win10 machine which completely refuses to display thumbnails for PDF file types. I have checked the view settings in explorer, and also the visual effects settings and it looks correct. I have tried using Adobe Reader DC...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows thumbnail high cpu