Windows 10: Windows explorer is crashing all the sudden.

Discus and support Windows explorer is crashing all the sudden. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I am having a very confusing and very frustrating problem with my windows and I tried just about everything to fix it. This just came out of the blue.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/N--0--X, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Windows explorer is crashing all the sudden.

I am having a very confusing and very frustrating problem with my windows and I tried just about everything to fix it. This just came out of the blue. I didn't download any files. I don't use file sharing programs. I did not change any settings to anything except for disabling hardware accelerating on Chrome the day before.

Just last night right after playing a game I went to bed, wake up the next day to check Email then put the PC to sleep. I come back after after I woke the PC I noticed the desktop icons were all blank so I restarted the machine. after the reboot I found out that when I open "my computer" from the start menu nothing loads. That little green bar will load to about 90% and it will just hang there.

It loads ok If I click on a folder that's on my desktop. I can navigate to "my computer" just fine. I can't open any jpegs or PNGs. If I click on them explorer will hang and eventually crash or I can close the window with little red x from the preview in the task bar. Right clicking in any folder that was open from the desktop causes explorer to crash then restart itself.

The strange part is everything else works perfectly fine. All of my programs and games run without any issues even the ones installed on the OS drive.

I tried SFC /scan several times and found no issues. I ran crystal disk and I removed the one hard drive that had bad sectors. I tried disabling indexing, I tried doing a 3 week old system restore point. I went down the list of solutions I found online and Nothing has worked.

I cannot tell if this is hardware related or not. The only suspected issue I can think of was this occasional BSOD that would happen once every couple of months. I RMA parts and spent weeks looking for help with that but I haven't encountered it since January, I just chalked that up to the X.M.P profile I started using after upgrading to new hardware.

submitted by /u/N--0--X
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/N--0--X, Mar 23, 2021
  2. Harvy Win User

Windows explorer crashing

Hi,

I am having the same problem as the OP in this thread.
    Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

I have tried the fixes listed in the above thread and I am getting the same error message as 'ktadie' (post 16). I think this is because I am running Windows 7 Professional. Windows explorer crashes when I open my 'Films' folder on my brand new 2tb external HDD. I have about 300 .avi files in this folder and some of the .avi files are several years old.

In short I believe I need the same fix given by 'Wile E' (post 7) but updated for Windows 7 Professional.

Thanks in advance.

Harvy, Mar 23, 2021
  3. jsmin Win User
    Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Mar 23, 2021
  4. peach1971 Win User

Windows explorer is crashing all the sudden.

all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Mar 23, 2021
Thema:

Windows explorer is crashing all the sudden.

1. Windows explorer is crashing all the sudden. - Similar Threads - explorer crashing sudden

2. Freezing and crashing all of the sudden. Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Freezing and crashing all of the sudden. Laptop: Hello!My name is Joseph.~ ~ ~ ~ and my laptop or computer has started to crash and freeze a lot lately.It wasn't happening to me before.I didn't download anything wrong; it was just the apps I always used to use for my entire life. I keep getting BSOD Blue Screen of Death for...
  3. Freezing and crashing all of the sudden. Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Freezing and crashing all of the sudden. Laptop: Hello!My name is Joseph.~ ~ ~ ~ and my laptop or computer has started to crash and freeze a lot lately.It wasn't happening to me before.I didn't download anything wrong; it was just the apps I always used to use for my entire life. I keep getting BSOD Blue Screen of Death for...
  4. Freezing and crashing all of the sudden. Laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Computer crashed and rebooted all of a sudden

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer crashed and rebooted all of a sudden: Crash and reboot with no warning during playing a videogame. No error code either. I found the dmp files using the bugcheck message and uploaded them zipped to onedrive. Help figuring out what they actually mean would be...
  6. Computer crashed and rebooted all of a sudden

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer crashed and rebooted all of a sudden: Crash and reboot with no warning during playing a videogame. No error code either. I found the dmp files using the bugcheck message and uploaded them zipped to onedrive. Help figuring out what they actually mean would be...
  7. Computer crashed and rebooted all of a sudden

8. All games are suddenly crashing.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All games are suddenly crashing.: This has never happened before, suddenly any game i play randomly freezes (and makes that buzzing sound once) for 7 or so seconds before exiting to desktop without any errors. My os and drivers are up to date, i have never overclocked anything, basically nothing has changed,...
  9. Sudden BSOD crashes all linked to ntoskrnl.exe

Sudden BSOD crashes all linked to ntoskrnl.exe: So I come straight to the topic. I have sudden Bluescreen crashes which are all linked to ntoskrnl.exe Here are the things I tried to do: 1. I updated all drivers 2. I ran a memtest: no errors 3. I checked system32 for corrupted files 4. I replaced my old RAM with new...
  10. Windows Explorer, desktop and all file explorer windows, crashing

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer, desktop and all file explorer windows, crashing: I was recently just using my computer, browsing files, moving stuff about when the entire desktop crashes and restarts as it does when that happens. This has never happened before and I've not modified the shell recently at all, hence I'm slightly concerned to what actually...