Windows 10: Windows Explorer is maxing out memory when viewing large files

Discus and support Windows Explorer is maxing out memory when viewing large files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; i have an issue on a number of Windows 10 machines. So i do not believe that this is Hardware related. if i open a folder which has large file “xlsx... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PBatch, Jan 9, 2019.

1. PBatch Win User

Windows Explorer is maxing out memory when viewing large files

i have an issue on a number of Windows 10 machines. So i do not believe that this is Hardware related.

if i open a folder which has large file “xlsx for example” then the Memory starts to be eaten up until it gets to 100% and the machine then stops working. You you open a folder that does not have large files it is totally fine.

can someone tell me what is going on and if there is a fix for this as it is causing big issues for my users.

thanks Paul

:)

PBatch, Jan 9, 2019

2. Files & Folders View as medium or large Icons

To assist you better, we would suggest that you try to follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Once you are viewing a folder, right click an empty space within the File Explorer window and select View from the dialogue menu, then choose Large or any icon you wanted to use. Alternatively, you can use the following shortcut keys on the keyboard to
      change your View settings:
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 1 Extra Large
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 2 Large icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 3 Medium Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 4 Small Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 5 List
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 6 Details
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 7 Tiles
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 8 Content
    3. Once you have the view set, you can make it the default view for

every folder.

4. Click Apply, then click OK.

Update us on the result.

Marivel Man, Jan 9, 2019
  3. File Explorer not showing Extra large icons

Hi,

The icons might be set to appear in medium or small icons. For you to get extra large icons, follow these steps:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Right-click in an empty space and navigate to View > Extra large icons.

Let us know how it goes so we can further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jan 9, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Explorer is maxing out memory when viewing large files - Similar Threads - Explorer maxing memory

2. File Explorer on Windows 11 hangs when working with large files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer on Windows 11 hangs when working with large files: Hi allI have been having issues with Windows explorer in that it just "hangs" for a long time when trying to either open, or even just right-clicking large filesFor this example, I downloaded Davinci Resolve video editing software. It comes down as a ZIP file. Even just...
  3. Windows Explorer/OneDrive Maxing Out CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer/OneDrive Maxing Out CPU: OneDrive is making Windows Explorer max out my CPU. The only way to regain control of the machine is to pause OneDrive, after which things settle down. What's going on and how can I fix it?...
  4. Windows Explorer/OneDrive Maxing Out CPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer/OneDrive Maxing Out CPU: OneDrive is making Windows Explorer max out my CPU. The only way to regain control of the machine is to pause OneDrive, after which things settle down. What's going on and how can I fix it?...
  5. Windows Explorer/OneDrive Maxing Out CPU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. View Large Icons in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    View Large Icons in File Explorer: In Large Icon View in File Explorer: Why does it display my photos on my PC but only shows a standard line diagram on my laptop. (Both computers are running Windows 10.)...
  7. "Out of memory" when copying files

in Windows 10 Support
    "Out of memory" when copying files: I'm trying to copy files from a smaller external hard drive into a larger one. I first tried just highlighting the biggest file, selecting copy, going to the new drive and selecting paste. The copying process started but after a few minutes I got the error message "out of...
  8. Opening File Explorer with large icon view

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Opening File Explorer with large icon view: It seems it takes longer then it should for windows to show the icon view, I know my system is older, but still it just seems to be slow. I get the green progress bar as the folders and files are refreshed. Isn't this cached? Any suggestions on how I can investigate this?...
  9. Thumbnails in File Explorer are tiny (even when selecting extra large icons in View menu)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Thumbnails in File Explorer are tiny (even when selecting extra large icons in View menu): Hello, I have done a few hours of research on a problem I have with my new Microsoft Surface Pro. Turns out my husband's Surface Pro from 2 years ago does the exact same thing. Problem is when trying to view photo icons/thumbnails. When I change the view to Extra Large...
  10. Memory Maxes Out and System Reboots

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Memory Maxes Out and System Reboots: Just started today, 2 crashes so far. Any help appreciated.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows explorer maxing out network

2. windows explorer ram