Windows 10: Windows Explorer is taking over CPU

Discus and support Windows Explorer is taking over CPU in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Windows Explorer increases it's CPU use about 1 or 2 times per minute. It freezes the mouse movement and makes it move in a jerky fashion. It also... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JeffreyGuehring, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Windows Explorer is taking over CPU

Windows Explorer increases it's CPU use about 1 or 2 times per minute. It freezes the mouse movement and makes it move in a jerky fashion. It also interrupts the video portion of YouTube music videos. Any suggestions?

:)

JeffreyGuehring, Apr 25, 2020
  2. Xylee Del Win User

Windows explorer takes up most of CPU

Hi,

Stored files and data may have caused the Windows Explorer to take up most spaces on your CPU. To correct this, we suggest that you follow these methods:

Method 1: Disk cleanup in Windows 10.

Method 2: Managing the Task Manager.

• Open the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete.
    • Terminate explorer.exe.
    • Start a new explorer.exe.

Let us know if any of these methods worked.

Xylee Del, Apr 25, 2020
  3. Windows Explorer taking too much CPU --- PLEASE not the stock answer!

I've searched for a solution and keep being redirected to the stock answer:

"Usually, too many background processes can boost your CPU usage. Since you already disabled the apps that are not necessary on startup, we
    suggest checking the applications running once you have successfully boot Windows 10. To do this, simply follow the steps below:"

I know what is taking up CPU time, it's Windows Explorer. What I need to know is why, and how to stop it.

Thank you so much in advance Windows Explorer is taking over CPU :)

MacMcClellan, Apr 25, 2020
  4. Xylee Del Win User

Windows Explorer is taking over CPU

Windows explorer takes up most of CPU

This can be caused due to temporary files and data that are stored in your machine. To correct this issue with Windows Explorer, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• On your Windows Explorer, open C:Windows/Temp.
    • Delete all the data.
    • Open the Task Manager.
    • Right click on explorer.exe and click Restart.

The temp folder contains files that are only needed temporally. Unfortunately, these files don't always get deleted after their job is done, resulting in wasted drive space.

Let us know if you need further assistance with your Windows 10.

Xylee Del, Apr 25, 2020
Thema:

Windows Explorer is taking over CPU

1. Windows Explorer is taking over CPU - Similar Threads - Explorer taking CPU

2. Windows explorer constantly taking up high cpu usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows explorer constantly taking up high cpu usage: I've had Windows Explorer constantly taking up 16-20% CPU in Windows 10 on a quadcore in recent days. Restarting the Windows Explorer process forked another process COM Surrogate that now used 16-20% of CPU. Rebooting didn't help neither.Considering there are a few closed...
  3. Windows explorer constantly taking up high cpu usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows explorer constantly taking up high cpu usage: I've had Windows Explorer constantly taking up 16-20% CPU in Windows 10 on a quadcore in recent days. Restarting the Windows Explorer process forked another process COM Surrogate that now used 16-20% of CPU. Rebooting didn't help neither.Considering there are a few closed...
  4. Windows explorer constantly taking up high cpu usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows explorer taking up high cpu usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows explorer taking up high cpu usage: Recently on my windows 10 pc the windows explorer app has been taking up to 16% on my CPU.It has also effected navigating the file explorer, deleting, opening and moving in it often results in it becoming non-responsive and when I close the non-responsive application my whole...
  6. Windows explorer taking up high cpu usage

Windows explorer taking up high cpu usage: Recently on my windows 10 pc the windows explorer app has been taking up to 16% on my CPU.It has also effected navigating the file explorer, deleting, opening and moving in it often results in it becoming non-responsive and when I close the non-responsive application my whole...
  7. Windows explorer taking up high cpu usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. osprivacy svchost.exe taking up over 50% of CPU Windows 11

osprivacy svchost.exe taking up over 50% of CPU Windows 11: It randomly keeps happening recently and sometimes when I play Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 osprivacy takes over 50% of my CPU and my whole game lags.What’s even more annoying is that when I try to browse the internet sometimes my whole computer lags crazy because of...
  9. osprivacy svchost.exe taking up over 50% of CPU Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    osprivacy svchost.exe taking up over 50% of CPU Windows 11: It randomly keeps happening recently and sometimes when I play Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 osprivacy takes over 50% of my CPU and my whole game lags.What’s even more annoying is that when I try to browse the internet sometimes my whole computer lags crazy because of...
  10. Windows Explorer takes up 40-50% CPU usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Explorer takes up 40-50% CPU usage: Hello, I have this problem where after some hours of use (~3, for example) the windows explorer takes up 40-50% of the CPU causing major performance loss. I do not know what is causing this problem, as it does have to do with my activity, since when this happens I am not...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why does windows defender smartscreen useso much cpu