Windows 10: Windows explorer lagging and crashing occasionally and context menu freezes on "open with"....

Discus and support Windows explorer lagging and crashing occasionally and context menu freezes on "open with".... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Don't know if it was a coincidence or not but said problem started about three days ago after installing VLC (yes official site) and uninstalling it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ItsaMeMegatron, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Windows explorer lagging and crashing occasionally and context menu freezes on "open with"....

Don't know if it was a coincidence or not but said problem started about three days ago after installing VLC (yes official site) and uninstalling it after noticing the issues and some file associations I didn't want with it.

Did full scans with Windows Defender and Malwarebytes and everything is clear, SFC /SCANNOW doesn't find any problems, preformed a system restore to the 26th which was before the problem started, reinstalled Windows 10 with the options that keeps all my files, reset Windows 10 with the option that lets me keep my files but uninstalls programs.

The reset helped out but explorer.exe is still quite a bit slower than it supposed to be especially to load image thumbnails and still crashes from time to time when using "open with"

Last thing I can think of is to do a full reset/wipe but I don't if that just clears out my SSD C: which Win 10 is installed in or if it clears out ALL drives like my D: HDD where I keep important files and my Steam Libary.

CPU Intel Core i7-9700F RAM 8.00GB 2666MHz Motherboard ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME H310M-E R2.0 (LGA1151) Graphics Optix G27C2 (1920x1080@144Hz) 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (ASUStek Computer Inc) Storage 238GB FTM56N325H (SATA (SSD)) 1863GB Seagate ST2000DM008-2FR102 (SATA (SSD))

submitted by /u/ItsaMeMegatron
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ItsaMeMegatron, Jun 3, 2020
  2. zawnox Win User

Context Menu "Open with" freeze

This problem annoyed me for a week

3 related issues:

• context menu works fine, and all submenus open well such as "view" and "sort by", except "Open with":
      • when i hover on "Open with", Windows Explorer freezes and i have to restart it in Task Manager
      • some files won't even let me open context menu, they just freeze Windows Explorer
    • image thumbnails and sometimes taskbar icons disappear or become
      blank icons of paper (refresh doesn't work):
      • when i try to upload an image to any website (Facebook or Steam) i can't see which blank piece of paper to choose
    • cannot access "Personalisation" or "Accounts" in system settings:
      • when i try to change my desktop background or change my account profile picture, "Settings" app freezes and i have to end task in Task Manager

Solutions i have tried:

• AdwCleaner
    • disabling 3rd party programs in ShellExView
    • clean boot
    • safe mode boot
    • elevated cmd
      • Sfc /scannow
      • thumbnail cache clear
    • PC reset

Nothing worked

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

8gb RAM

Intel Core i7 4700MQ

Intel HD Graphics 4600

Toshiba Satellite P75-A7100

zawnox, Jun 3, 2020
  3. AndreePin Win User
    AndreePin, Jun 3, 2020
  4. Windows explorer lagging and crashing occasionally and context menu freezes on "open with"....

Right clicking files in Explorer causes Explorer to hang / not respond. (Slow context menu)

About a week ago after i updated windows 10 for the first time in a while i've noticed that occasionally when i right click pictures, documents, etc. in windows explorer to open the context menu, explorer will freeze and ill have the blue spinny loading
    cursor for like 30 seconds. The only stuff i have installed that affects the right click / context menu is 7-zip and winrar. I've already used the registry editor to remove unwanted things from the context menu, but it still causes explorer to hang. Any idea
    whats going on? Is this a problem with windows?

shrekster1000, Jun 3, 2020
Thema:

Windows explorer lagging and crashing occasionally and context menu freezes on "open with"....

1. Windows explorer lagging and crashing occasionally and context menu freezes on "open with".... - Similar Threads - explorer lagging crashing

2. context menu "open with" freezes all explorer and no icon update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    context menu "open with" freezes all explorer and no icon update: I had several symptoms:"open with" in the context menu would freeze teh context menu and all explorer processes; I could only use the task manager to restart explorerin explorer, a folder with jpg images usually would show the image with "large icon" and bigger, but nothing...
  3. context menu "open with" freezes all explorer and no icon update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    context menu "open with" freezes all explorer and no icon update: I had several symptoms:"open with" in the context menu would freeze teh context menu and all explorer processes; I could only use the task manager to restart explorerin explorer, a folder with jpg images usually would show the image with "large icon" and bigger, but nothing...
  4. context menu "open with" freezes all explorer and no icon update

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows explorer crashes when opening the context menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows explorer crashes when opening the context menu: In windows 11's file explorer, whenever I open the context menu, it crashes. I've tried everything that I see in tutorials. Here's what I've tried; restarting windows explorer in task manager, the sfc scannow and DISM methods in command prompt, and clean booting and more. Is...
  6. Windows explorer crashes when opening the context menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows explorer crashes when opening the context menu: In windows 11's file explorer, whenever I open the context menu, it crashes. I've tried everything that I see in tutorials. Here's what I've tried; restarting windows explorer in task manager, the sfc scannow and DISM methods in command prompt, and clean booting and more. Is...
  7. Windows 11 Explorer crashing on Context menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Explorer crashing on Context menu: After updating from Windows 10 all worked perfect to Windows 11 the Explorer looks different in case of reduced menus. But on advanced menu, I can see old and default context entries like on 7Zip again. Unfortunately the Explorer crashes as soon as I click right on a zip...
  8. 'Open With' in context menu crashes File Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    'Open With' in context menu crashes File Explorer: I have also lost all thumbnail previews for images. I have tried a bunch of things i found on the internet but none have worked. I did recently uninstall a few programs i no longer use. One of them caused an error preventing me from doing a system restore. I reinstalled the...
  9. Windows explorer lagging and crashing occasionally and context menu freezes on "open with"...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows explorer lagging and crashing occasionally and context menu freezes on "open with"...: Did full scans with Windows Defender and Malware-bytes and everything is clear, SFC /SCANNOW doesn't find any problems and I'm still having crashing and freezing issues. For all intents and purposes VLC was downloaded off the official site CPU Intel Core i7-9700F RAM...
  10. File Explorer New context menu causes Explorer to freeze and crash

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer New context menu causes Explorer to freeze and crash: After installing the Windows 10 October 2018 Update, the New context menu no longer works. If I right-click an empty area in File Explorer and move to the New menu, Explorer freezes and then crashes. Same thing happens if I click on the New Item icon on the toolbar. The...