Windows 10: Windows Explorer list view too much space between folders & files

Discus and support Windows Explorer list view too much space between folders & files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I like a compact folder and file list but recently I keep seeing the view in this image. How can I go back to the old view? I have right clicked and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lfm5630, Sep 21, 2020.

1. lfm5630 Win User

Windows Explorer list view too much space between folders & files

I like a compact folder and file list but recently I keep seeing the view in this image. How can I go back to the old view? I have right clicked and done view but that doesn't make it more compact. I was going to do A vs B pics but I can't get it to back to no space between. Sometimes I can do it with a restart. Thanks. Windows Explorer list view too much space between folders & files 732d363e-3c61-44c4-b466-b64b5b01bd25?upload=true.jpg

:)

lfm5630, Sep 21, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 21, 2020
  3. Files & Folders View as medium or large Icons

To assist you better, we would suggest that you try to follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Once you are viewing a folder, right click an empty space within the File Explorer window and select View from the dialogue menu, then choose Large or any icon you wanted to use. Alternatively, you can use the following shortcut keys on the keyboard to
      change your View settings:
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 1 Extra Large
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 2 Large icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 3 Medium Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 4 Small Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 5 List
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 6 Details
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 7 Tiles
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 8 Content
    3. Once you have the view set, you can make it the default view for

every folder.

4. Click Apply, then click OK.

Update us on the result.

Marivel Man, Sep 21, 2020
  4. wpcoe Win User

"Line spacing" in File Explorer "List" View

It seems like something changed in the past day or two to add line spacing when in List View in Explorer. Not sure if it's quite double-spacing, but there definitely is more vertical space between items now.

Any idea how to reset that to the previous single-spacing?

Here's what I see now:

Windows Explorer list view too much space between folders & files [​IMG]

wpcoe, Sep 21, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows Explorer list view too much space between folders & files - Similar Threads - Explorer list view

2. Too Much Double Spacing ! ! !

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Too Much Double Spacing ! ! !: I’m trying to get rid of all the crud that Ms has introduced into Win 11, my next pet-peeve to fix is all the double spacing everywhere. It’s easy to turn off Folder double spacing via View / Show / Compact view. But leave it to Ms, to where this setting does not cover...
  3. Too Much Double Spacing ! ! !

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Too Much Double Spacing ! ! !: I’m trying to get rid of all the crud that Ms has introduced into Win 11, my next pet-peeve to fix is all the double spacing everywhere. It’s easy to turn off Folder double spacing via View / Show / Compact view. But leave it to Ms, to where this setting does not cover...
  4. Desktop Icons have too much space in between

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Icons have too much space in between: How to remove this wide space between icons on the desktop? If I drag and drop the icons it doesn't work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-have-too-much-space-in-between/da60d9f2-b8c9-42d7-a5a7-a4701d74b841
  5. Desktop Icons have too much space in between

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Icons have too much space in between: How to remove this wide space between icons on the desktop? If I drag and drop the icons it doesn't work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-have-too-much-space-in-between/da60d9f2-b8c9-42d7-a5a7-a4701d74b841
  6. File Explorer explores too much!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer explores too much!: How do I stop Windows Explorer searching for similar pictures? If I search for a jpg on my PC which includes the filename "chess", it finds those named files, but also a lot of other jpg files with images of chequered floors. If I search for "castle" it finds all sorts of...
  7. "Line spacing" in File Explorer "List" View

in Windows 10 Support
    "Line spacing" in File Explorer "List" View: It seems like something changed in the past day or two to add line spacing when in List View in Explorer. Not sure if it's quite double-spacing, but there definitely is more vertical space between items now. Any idea how to reset that to the previous single-spacing? Here's...
  8. There’s too much space between my icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    There’s too much space between my icons: [IMG]Hi, I downloaded something that seems to have crashed my laptop. I immediately removed it and did a virus scan. Nothing wrong but now my laptop icons have more space between them than normal. How can i fix this?...
  9. Way too much space between groups in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Way too much space between groups in Start Menu: Hello, I just purchased a new PC and I'm setting up my Start Menu. When I place two different groups side-by-side horizontally, there's a huge horizontal gap in between the groups. Is there any way to make the horizontal space smaller? Screenshot is at the end of this...
  10. File Explorer search returning too much

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer search returning too much: I have figured out that when File Explorer searches, it includes the filepath as well as file name and contents. I see this as a problem, since I rarely, if ever, search based on the filepath. Please tell me there's a way to turn this off. I also see an option for whether...