Windows 10: Windows Explorer locking up with new files

Discus and support Windows Explorer locking up with new files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello. Occasionally, when I am writing a new large file such as a video file, Windows Explorer will lock up on me when I access the folder. Until I go... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CuriousD, Sep 30, 2020.

1. CuriousD Win User

Windows Explorer locking up with new files

Hello. Occasionally, when I am writing a new large file such as a video file, Windows Explorer will lock up on me when I access the folder. Until I go into Safe Mode and delete the offending file, I can access the folder momentarily before it locks up again. I can sometimes view the folder, but if I scroll through the folder, the folder will lock up on me.

I can sometimes get around this problem by changing the view characteristics of the folder. I have folders arranged by name and grouped by file type. If I don't group by type, I can access the folder. I can't tell if scrolling through the folder would cause the same problems because without grouping, there is no need for me to scroll.

How can I fix this problem with Windows Explorer? Thanks. I have Windows 10 Version 2004.

:)

CuriousD, Sep 30, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 30, 2020
  3. Frick Win User
    Windows Explorer Replacement?

I don't use Internet Explorer, I meant the thing where you can look at files etc. Hotkey Windows+E. Maybe it's the wrong name in english though. *Stick Out Tongue Windows Explorer locking up with new files :p

Frick, Sep 30, 2020
  4. geno368 Win User

Some files listed in Windows Explorer are blue font

I seem to have run out of room on a Windows XP Pro system. I tried to defrag but don't have but 7% room available. I looked in Windows Explorer to try to find some huge files that might be corrupt and I see a few that are listed in blue. What does that mean? I have not compressed anything on purpose. Thanks

geno368, Sep 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows Explorer locking up with new files - Similar Threads - Explorer locking files

2. File Explorer locks up in Home section

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer locks up in Home section: When select File Explorer it goes to Home and say working on it but nothing happens and it locks up. If I right click on the icon and select anything else it seems to work...
  3. File Explorer locks up in Home section

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer locks up in Home section: When select File Explorer it goes to Home and say working on it but nothing happens and it locks up. If I right click on the icon and select anything else it seems to work...
  4. Windows Explorer locks up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer locks up: It seems this has been a problem for many over the years for many people. I followed several of the instructions via Windows 10 File Explorer Hangs Or Freezes [Solved] silicophilic.com. No success. At one time, I disabled Quick Access and had no problems. But I like Quick...
  5. Windows Explorer locks up

Windows Explorer locks up: It seems this has been a problem for many over the years for many people. I followed several of the instructions via Windows 10 File Explorer Hangs Or Freezes [Solved] silicophilic.com. No success. At one time, I disabled Quick Access and had no problems. But I like Quick...
  6. Right Click on Files Locks up Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Right Click on Files Locks up Explorer: This happens on some files in some folders but I can't say which as there seems to be no pattern. But most , when I right click on them I get the wait cursor and have to close explorer. This is a brand new install of Windows 10 and this did not do it in the first weeks after...
  7. Right Click on Files Locks up Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right Click on Files Locks up Explorer: This happens on some files in some folders but I can't say which as there seems to be no pattern. But most , when I right click on them I get the wait cursor and have to close explorer. This is a brand new install of Windows 10 and this did not do it in the first weeks after...
  8. Right Click on Files Locks up Explorer

9. Locking the file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Locking the file explorer: I have a very large number of previously recovered files. My goal is to organize the files in groups to aid in collating them. I wish to modify the files by changing them by the categories displayed in the W10 file explorer. To do this I have created a third party macro to...
  10. Win10 File explorer sub menus locks up explorer after latest update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win10 File explorer sub menus locks up explorer after latest update: open file explorer>right click on a file>Submenu opens>explorer freezes ribbon is also never finishing parse. Anywhere to report? makes explorer essentially useless...