Windows 10: Windows Explorer lost the ability to create video thumbnails, after an unexpected Windows...

Discus and support Windows Explorer lost the ability to create video thumbnails, after an unexpected Windows... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Greetings, "Windows Explorer" seems to have lost the ability to create thumbnails for video files, after an unexpected memory shutdown. After the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AlxP., Apr 8, 2021.

1. AlxP. Win User

Windows Explorer lost the ability to create video thumbnails, after an unexpected Windows...

Greetings, "Windows Explorer" seems to have lost the ability to create thumbnails for video files, after an unexpected memory shutdown.

After the shutdown, Windows seemingly erased the thumbnail cache and I had to recreate it, but now it doesn't create thumbnails for any of my video files. I have the "VLC Player" app set as default.

I tried some of the solutions, that are on the Web but nothing seems to work.

The funny thing is, that I found those registry entries missing that I think have something to do with my problem, when I scan the registry on the "CCleanner" app although I never use the "Review selected Issues" option, as I've heard it may destroy the Registry, and I had faced problems with it in the past.

Windows Explorer lost the ability to create video thumbnails, after an unexpected Windows... cd73c3d6-1c56-4d6f-a2ea-6b0c3c35853e?upload=true.png Windows Explorer lost the ability to create video thumbnails, after an unexpected Windows... de44958e-b016-427c-947d-bb46234d5587?upload=true.png Windows Explorer lost the ability to create video thumbnails, after an unexpected Windows... 9bceab80-f0ab-44e8-8a52-00d1b618cdd6?upload=true.png Windows Explorer lost the ability to create video thumbnails, after an unexpected Windows... 503e4e73-fd6b-47e0-a87c-73181024fb31?upload=true.png

And another problem that I think is related to this, is that I occasionally find "*.jpg" or other photo extension files, that used to open normally, to not have a thumbnail and when I try to open them I get the error pictured bellow I have "Pictureflect" as the default app:

Windows Explorer lost the ability to create video thumbnails, after an unexpected Windows... 222792bb-cbd0-4e45-bf9e-d2b154395c63?upload=true.png

I wound appreciate it, if someone in the Community could help me.

:)

AlxP., Apr 8, 2021
  2. jsmin Win User

Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Apr 8, 2021
  3. Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

First off welcome to TPU and secondly what version of Windows do you have installed? and Windows Media Player version?

EDIT:In Windows XP the command 'regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll' that you ran will disable video thumbnails. You can also, run 'regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll' to disable Image thumbnails. You are just registering dll's and unregistering dll's

Mindweaver, Apr 8, 2021
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows Explorer lost the ability to create video thumbnails, after an unexpected Windows...

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 8, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows Explorer lost the ability to create video thumbnails, after an unexpected Windows... - Similar Threads - Explorer lost ability

2. No more video thumbnails and only for video in Windows 10 explorer.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No more video thumbnails and only for video in Windows 10 explorer.: Hello,Everything works fine but about 2 weeks ago I don't remember exactly well, all new videos created or imported on my PC don't display thumbnails anymore Windows 10 x64 Pro 22H2 last update excepted for .wmv and some .avi. Those that had their thumbnails in cache kept...
  3. No more video thumbnails and only for video in Windows 10 explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No more video thumbnails and only for video in Windows 10 explorer.: Hello,Everything works fine but about 2 weeks ago I don't remember exactly well, all new videos created or imported on my PC don't display thumbnails anymore Windows 10 x64 Pro 22H2 last update excepted for .wmv and some .avi. Those that had their thumbnails in cache kept...
  4. No more video thumbnails and only for video in Windows 10 explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Lost the ability to trim videos in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost the ability to trim videos in Windows 11: Hi. I’m running Windows 11. In both photos and media player I have completely lost the ability to trim videos. Now the only thing I’m offered is to “Edit with ClipChamp,” which is absolutely not something I’m going to download to be able to perform a basic video crop. What’s...
  6. Lost the ability to trim videos in Windows 11

Lost the ability to trim videos in Windows 11: Hi. I’m running Windows 11. In both photos and media player I have completely lost the ability to trim videos. Now the only thing I’m offered is to “Edit with ClipChamp,” which is absolutely not something I’m going to download to be able to perform a basic video crop. What’s...
  7. Video thumbnails not showing up in Windows Explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Video thumbnails not showing up in Windows Explorer.: So I've been having this problem for several months now..One day some of my video thumbnails weren't showing, so I deleted the thumbnail cache, and then they were all gone and never returned. It was like Windows lost the ability to create thumbnails for videos, and as I moved...
  8. Video thumbnails not showing up in Windows Explorer.

Video thumbnails not showing up in Windows Explorer.: So I've been having this problem for several months now..One day some of my video thumbnails weren't showing, so I deleted the thumbnail cache, and then they were all gone and never returned. It was like Windows lost the ability to create thumbnails for videos, and as I moved...
  9. How can I create a thumbnail for a video created in Windows Video Editor 2020?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I create a thumbnail for a video created in Windows Video Editor 2020?: Hi there:I uploaded a video to the Microsoft Video Editor 2020 version for Windows 10 and included background music. But how do I add a thumbnail from the video to the video so that I can use it in social media, on my Shopify store, etc.? I would like to stay away from...
  10. Lost the ability to update Windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Lost the ability to update Windows: There are a number of us in the Windows Insider Program that have lost the ability to update Windows. There are some variations on the theme but, basically, Win10 will download the package and say that there is an update that needs a reboot to install. The install/reboot...