Windows 10: Windows Explorer no longer auto-refreshing after Windows Update

Discus and support Windows Explorer no longer auto-refreshing after Windows Update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently updated Windows 10 to the latest 20H2 update after having skipped several of the previous major updates, and noticed some time after that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by msmsca, Mar 19, 2021.

1. msmsca Win User

Windows Explorer no longer auto-refreshing after Windows Update

I recently updated Windows 10 to the latest 20H2 update after having skipped several of the previous major updates, and noticed some time after that that file operations in any of my Explorer windows were not being actively being reflected after the change: renames, deletions, copies, moves, etc. The only way to get these changes to appear has been to either click out and back in to the folder, or to hit F5.

I've been searching for a solution to this problem for days now, and while the issue seems to go pretty far back, including to previous Windows OS versions, I haven't really come across any recent posts or solutions to the issue. The old suggestions around registry edits, resetting folder defaults, and system scans have all failed to work. I've even tried resetting Windows entirely, which DID work briefly, before the auto-refresh stopped working again after rebooting.

I spent much of today trying to narrow down the problem, because I noticed that it would start working again in a newly created user account. I tried applying changes to the new account one at a time, rebooting after each change, to see if any of them triggered it. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be consistent, so either the bug just happens after some period of time after a new account is created after a reboot, or, it's some weird combination of Windows settings changes but in my last test the only things I had touched were taskbar UI customization settings, so it's unlikely to be the issue.

Would really appreciate if someone had a solution to this!

:)

msmsca, Mar 19, 2021
  2. Try3 Win User

Windows Explorer refuses to refresh Explorer

Masterchef,

I have had this problem and so have lots of other people. None of the suggested solutions I found on the internet had anything other than a temporary effect. The problem eventually went away of its own accord but still rears its ugly head from time to time. I only kept a few links on the subject -
    Desktop or Explorer does not refresh automatically in Windows
    Windows Explorer doesn't refresh by itself - Microsoft Community
    windows file list does not auto refresh-update - Microsoft Answers [Windows 7]
    Windows Explorer doesn't refresh when moving-deleting - TechNet [Windows 7]

When the problem reappears, I restart the computer. If that does not resolve matters then I accept the situation and don't waste my time chasing non-solutions. You might wish to consider adopting the same approach.

All the best,
    Denis

3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 19, 2021
  4. Matazel Win User

Windows explorer fails to auto-refresh after file operations

Windows explorer fails to auto-refresh after file operations
    Windows 10

After file operations, rename, delete, etc., the file manager fails to update itself. After each operation I must press F5 to update the file list in file manager. sfc - did not found any violations.

Matazel, Mar 19, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows Explorer no longer auto-refreshing after Windows Update - Similar Threads - Explorer longer auto

2. how to disable auto refresh of explorer in Windows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to disable auto refresh of explorer in Windows: Hello,For the last many years I have been facing this issue. When I create a new file or move files from one folder to another, the files get automatically sorted within a few seconds. This makes it hard to find the files that I just created or copied. Most painful instance...
  3. how to disable auto refresh of explorer in Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to disable auto refresh of explorer in Windows: Hello,For the last many years I have been facing this issue. When I create a new file or move files from one folder to another, the files get automatically sorted within a few seconds. This makes it hard to find the files that I just created or copied. Most painful instance...
  4. Windows file explorer auto refresh not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows file explorer auto refresh not working: When I save or delete files from folders they don't appear until I manually hit F5 to see the changes. Not sure why it's not auto refreshing the folders anymore?...
  5. Windows file explorer auto refresh not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows file explorer auto refresh not working: When I save or delete files from folders they don't appear until I manually hit F5 to see the changes. Not sure why it's not auto refreshing the folders anymore?...
  6. Windows Explorer stops auto refreshing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Explorer stops auto refreshing: Sometimes Windows Explorer stops auto refreshing randomly for no reason. I must press F5 everytime i made changes, quite annoying. Restarting all Explorer.exe processes from task manager solved it, but the problem comes back again later Do anyone know what caused this...
  7. File Explorer not auto-refreshing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer not auto-refreshing: I am doing some data entry work tagging and sorting a large volume of documents, but every time I am done with a document, I need to manually refresh the folder to see it placed in its new position. While this normally would be a quick and mundane task, I need to...
  8. File Explorer not auto-refreshing

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer not auto-refreshing: I am doing some data entry work tagging and sorting a large volume of documents, but every time I am done with a document, I need to manually refresh the folder to see it placed in its new position. While this normally would be a quick and mundane task, I need to...
  9. 1909 update and folders no longer auto refresh

1909 update and folders no longer auto refresh: So I recently updated Windows 10 (yes I know "MY" mistake) and its been updating several times since. All this in the past week or so TODAY after an update restart my folders no longer auto update I know its ODD that somebody uses their PC to make a living BUT I do,...
  10. Windows explorer fails to auto-refresh after file operations

Windows explorer fails to auto-refresh after file operations: Windows explorer fails to auto-refresh after file operations Windows 10 After file operations, rename, delete, etc., the file manager fails to update itself. After each operation I must press F5 to update the file list in file manager. sfc - did not found any violations....