Windows 10: Windows Explorer "Not Responding" after Opening Word 2007 Document

Discus and support Windows Explorer "Not Responding" after Opening Word 2007 Document in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm using Windows 10 Pro, version 2004, Build 19041.508. A few weeks ago and out of the blue, Windows Explorer began "not responding" when I attempted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by shawnkey, Oct 11, 2020.

1. shawnkey Win User

Windows Explorer "Not Responding" after Opening Word 2007 Document

I'm using Windows 10 Pro, version 2004, Build 19041.508.

A few weeks ago and out of the blue, Windows Explorer began "not responding" when I attempted to open a Word 2007 .docx file. When I click on the .docx file and then immediately attempt to switch to Explorer, I experience a five second delay before the Explorer window reopens and another four second delay (with the spinning blue circle) before I can access another file. To be clear, this issue exists only with Word and NOT with any other Microsoft product. For example, if I select a .pdf and then attempt to immediately switch back to Explorer, Explorer does not stall.

When this issue arose, I tried to recall whether I had made any changes to my system. Other than Windows updates, I had made no changes. Since then, I have attempted a myriad of solutions. One of my efforts included downloading an Explorer substitute. Even when using the substituted program, the problem continued. I attempted repairs of both Windows and Microsoft Office, yet nothing changed. Ultimately, I reset Windows 10 and reinstalled the Microsoft Office suite. Unfortunately, the issue survived the reset.

Subsequent to the reset, the only significant change I've made is to updated all my drivers. All Windows updates are installed through 10/09/20.

This issue is both annoying and time consuming. If you can offer any suggestions, please do!

:)

shawnkey, Oct 11, 2020

2. Opening Word 2007 document in Windows 10.

I installed Windows 10 when it was new and had no problem opening Word 2007 documents from File Manager. However, recently Word 2007 documents have started opening in Word Pad ( I think after I used Word Pad for something else), but when I right click the
    filename Word 2007 is not an option. It's as though Windows 10 does not recognise the program is on my computer. What can I do?

At the moment I have to open Word 2007 first and then open the document - which is irritating. I want to be able to open them from File Manager.

Thanks for any help.

Sorry if this is not in the right category - but there doesn't seem to be one!

TinkerbellNZ, Oct 11, 2020
  3. Word and Excel documents are slow to open in Windows 10

Have the same problem, here are my conditions:

- Windows 10 Professional x64.

- Office 2007 Ultimate.

- Opening Word and Excel documents is slow when Word/Excel not currently open/running.

- Opening the Word/Excel document with Word/Excel already open is fast/normal.

Solution is the same as reported:

1) Disable Cortana.

2) Restart Windows.

Step 2 is very important.

wayne_9901, Oct 11, 2020
  4. Frank1 Win User

can not open word document

I just upgraded office 2007 to office 2016. On all of my fils that I made with my older version can be opened with 2016. But if I create a new document with Word 2016 and save it, when I try to open it a message pops up telling me that this is valid only with installed products. When I open it, I do have the option to "open with". I can choose 2016 and it opens. When the option "open with" comes up I would think that there would be another choice that says "always" open with but it doesn't. So nest time I have to go through the same steps to open it.This happens only with Word but not Excel. My OS is windows 10.

Frank1, Oct 11, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows Explorer "Not Responding" after Opening Word 2007 Document - Similar Threads - Explorer Responding Opening

2. Recover Word 2007 Document

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recover Word 2007 Document: I accidentally overwrote a Word doc. I have autorecover set up, yet there are NO files in autorecover. Zip. Never have been in all the years I've used Word. I AM DESPERATE!When I try to go to and follow this path C:\Users\linda\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\ NOTHING shows...
  3. Recover Word 2007 Document

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recover Word 2007 Document: I accidentally overwrote a Word doc. I have autorecover set up, yet there are NO files in autorecover. Zip. Never have been in all the years I've used Word. I AM DESPERATE!When I try to go to and follow this path C:\Users\linda\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\ NOTHING shows...
  4. Recover Word 2007 Document

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. word document will not open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    word document will not open: I cannot open a word document and this is the following message I get. I have tried some strategies suggested online for this particular error message, but I'm hoping there are other helps. Thank you....
  6. Lost Word 2007 Document after power outage.

Lost Word 2007 Document after power outage.: I'm using an old copy of Office 2007 in my Windows 10 OS. I spent all afternoon working on a document and as luck would have it a nearby storm temporarily knocked my power out.I'd had this happen to me once before a couple of years ago and was able to recover the .asd file...
  7. Word 2007

Word 2007: Yes, I know it's no longer supported, but I'm pretty sure that Microsoft have actively removed a facility that used to work, namely, encryption. I can no longer find the facility within Word. The only place I see it mentioned is in the Properties of the Word file, where it is...
  8. File explorer unable to open word documents not responding

File explorer unable to open word documents not responding: File Explorer is unable open Word documents - not responding message and forced to end task https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-unable-to-open-word-documents-not/df30e972-dcd2-4892-9a3e-8453dadc2b50"
  9. Clicking on a word file in Exploring does not open Word 2007 like it should

in Windows 10 Customization
    Clicking on a word file in Exploring does not open Word 2007 like it should: On my Win 7 computer at home, if I doubleclick a Word file in Exploring, it successfully opens Word 2007. On my Win 10 laptop, though, even though Word 2007 is on it and can be opened easily and works great, if I doubleclick a Word file in Exploring, it asks me if I want to...
  10. File Explorer not responding when I try or after opening document

File Explorer not responding when I try or after opening document: Hello, I just bought a new notebook but after a week problem arise. Whenever I open document from File Explorer it became not responding. It happen when I tried and after opening document. I need to restart Explorer when I want to open document. Please help me and thank...