Windows 10: Windows Explorer not showing "Sort by" columns

Discus and support Windows Explorer not showing "Sort by" columns in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I can't recall exactly when the issue began, but for the past while many files have been missing their "Sort by" columns. I only see the three tabs:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Josh-Z, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Josh-Z Win User

Windows Explorer not showing "Sort by" columns

I can't recall exactly when the issue began, but for the past while many files have been missing their "Sort by" columns. I only see the three tabs: "ascending," descending," and "choose columns." Clicking the "choose columns" opens up the checkbox menu as usual, but none of the columns I check show up. This is a problem since I'm unable to sort my files full of pictures by date created/taken. This problem doesn't appear for all files, but does for most.

I'm only able to use the "Sort by" columns if I have the files organized with the "Group by" option, but this is a bit clunky.

I'm running Windows 10 Home version 1903. Let me know if there's any other information required.

:)

Josh-Z, Nov 5, 2019
  2. Berton Win User

Sorting Explorer columns by multiple criteria

I also haven't seen the capability of multiple sort criteria in many versions of Windows Explorer or the later [in Win8/8.1/10] File Explorer. Each column visible can be sorted in ascending or descending order, clicking a different column changes the view strictly to that arrangement. Generally the columns are sorted alphabetically with Folders first. Compressed/zip files are usually between Folders and files except in Type where they will be at either end of the list.

Berton, Nov 5, 2019
  3. Sorting column of mixed format data

You would need to do this:

• Create an extra column to the right of plot numbers.
    • Copy the plot numbers from the left to the right column.
    • Remove all letters from the left column.
    • Remove all numbers from the right column.
    • Place a space or an exclamation mark into all empty cells in the right column.
    • Sort the list against the left plus the right column.
    • Replace each exclamation mark with a space.

Frederik Long, Nov 5, 2019
  4. LaszloV Win User

Sorting Explorer columns by multiple criteria

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I will have to be more precise then.
    In my screenshot you can see that files are sorted by date. Fine.
    But the directories are not sorted alphabetically. Not fine.

What I was able to do was left-click on "date" and the column date would be sorted up or down depending on how many times I clicked on the date heading. Great.

Once the date was sorted the way I wanted, I was then able to ADDITIONALLY press SHIFT+left-click on "Name", to get directories to the top and sorted alphabetically.

The result was a detailed view of the sub-directories on top, sorted alphabetically and ALSO the files sorted by date. *Sleepy

And this I managed to get as the default everywhere and consistent. Now the listings are all over the show and I can't work with this explorer any more because I need to spend time looking for files and, what is worse, to double check and scroll every time I want to open or save something from within a programme. Highly annoying.

That's why any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

LaszloV, Nov 5, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Explorer not showing "Sort by" columns - Similar Threads - Explorer showing Sort

2. Windows Explorer sort function not working for my Photos folders - I click a column to sort...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer sort function not working for my Photos folders - I click a column to sort...: I'm having a problem sorting my Picture folders. I do have about 50K photos on my computer in about 250 subfolders under Pictures. The folder I've been using to test contains more than 2,000 photos. When I sort by name it works pretty quick, but if I try to sort by Date or...
  3. Windows Explorer sort function not working - I click a column to sort by and the "wait"...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer sort function not working - I click a column to sort by and the "wait"...: I am using Windows 11 Home, Version 23H2, OS Build 22631.3155, I am using it on a Dell Inspiron, Intel Core i5-9400 CPU 2.90GHz. I have a lot of photos on my C drive ~56,000 in sllightly over 1,000 folders under my Pictures, that takes up 145 GB of HD space. I have plenty of...
  4. Windows Explorer sort function not working - I click a column to sort by and the "wait"...

Windows Explorer sort function not working - I click a column to sort by and the "wait"...: I am using Windows 11 Home, Version 23H2, OS Build 22631.3155, I am using it on a Dell Inspiron, Intel Core i5-9400 CPU 2.90GHz. I have a lot of photos on my C drive ~56,000 in sllightly over 1,000 folders under my Pictures, that takes up 145 GB of HD space. I have plenty of...
  5. Show column of custom properties in windows explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Show column of custom properties in windows explorer: We have a lot of users asking to make custom properties available as sortable columns in windows explorer. is this possible? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/show-column-of-custom-properties-in-windows/72f4779a-a304-4379-a90a-389e98d08756
  6. Show column of custom properties in windows explorer

Show column of custom properties in windows explorer: We have a lot of users asking to make custom properties available as sortable columns in windows explorer. is this possible? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/show-column-of-custom-properties-in-windows/72f4779a-a304-4379-a90a-389e98d08756
  7. Show column of custom properties in windows explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. How to show columns in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to show columns in file explorer: Hi I have an issue where my file explorer doesn't show any columns. I have sort by and group by columns, but it still doesn't show any of them. You can see this in the image below:...
  9. How to show columns in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to show columns in file explorer: Hi I have an issue where my file explorer doesn't show any columns. I have sort by and group by columns, but it still doesn't show any of them. You can see this in the image below:...
  10. Sorting Explorer columns by multiple criteria

in Windows 10 Support
    Sorting Explorer columns by multiple criteria: Hi, I used to sort files in the w10 explorer using detailed view by date and then, by left clicking on name, the directories by name. For some reason, this does not work any more. Does anyone have an idea how I can do this again, as it worked fine until recently....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 missing sort columns