Windows 10: Windows Explorer not starting after restarting computer. Even if I try to do a temporary...

Discus and support Windows Explorer not starting after restarting computer. Even if I try to do a temporary... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I restart my computer, it restarts, normally as it would. Then it starts, and I log in, normally. After that, I only see a mouse cursor, then I'm like:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by leonstm_YT, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Windows Explorer not starting after restarting computer. Even if I try to do a temporary...

I restart my computer, it restarts, normally as it would. Then it starts, and I log in, normally. After that, I only see a mouse cursor, then I'm like: "this happened to me a 100 times, I just got to press ctrl+shift+esc and run the explorer.exe task". Nothing happens, and after like 15 minutes, explorer.exe shows up.

Maybe it's because I use legacy boot instead of UEFI? Could it be?

My laptop and the specifications are:

Dell Precision M6800

Core i7 4th generation

NVidia Quadro K3100M

250GB SSD with Windows 10

External 460GB HDD to store files on it that can't be fit onto my 250GB SSD.

:)

leonstm_YT, Jan 27, 2021

2. Internet Explorer won't start

Since the issue persists, we suggest that you rebuild the Internet Explorer 11 by turning it off and on from the Windows features. To do this, follow the steps below:

• In the search box, type Program and Features and press
      Enter.
    • On the left pane of Program and Features window, click
      Turn Windows features on or off.
    • Untick the check box for Internet Explorer
      11 and click OK.
    • Once done, restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
    • After restarting, re-do the steps above except for the step 3 which you need to tick the check box for
      Internet Explorer 11 and click OK.
    • Restart your computer once more and check if the issue persists.

Let us know if you can now launch the Internet Explorer 11.

Zedrick Del, Jan 27, 2021
  3. Arrakis9 Win User
    Random restarts

when you start the computer up press F8 repeatedly until you get a list of how to start windows, choose do not automatically restart on system failure. if your getting bsod's list what your getting here so we can further help you. IF the system is not getting bsod's and still restarting as you say then i would look into getting a line conditioner for your computer as you might be having power issues.

Arrakis9, Jan 27, 2021
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Windows Explorer not starting after restarting computer. Even if I try to do a temporary...

Computer restarts when File Explorer is selected

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate the efforts taken by you in resolving this issue. I understand that the computer restarts when File Explorer is selected. We cannot actually reinstall File Explorer on the computer, as it is bundled with the OS.

However, it would be great if you can help us with the details requested below:

• When you say, “When File Explorer is selected my computer restarts” do you see any error message or code when the computer restarts?
    • Are you aware of any changes made to the computer recently?
    • Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on the computer currently? To check type winver in the search bar on the Taskbar.
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you have tried so far?

I suggest you to try restarting the Windows Explorer and see if that helps. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open
      Task Manager.

2. Now, click on File and select Run new task.
    3. Type explorer.exe and select the check the checkbox for
      Create this task with administrative privileges.
    4. Click on OK.

You can also try updating the graphics card drivers. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows Logo key + X, and select
      Device Manager.
    2. Expand Display adapters.
    3. Right click on the graphics card
      device
      and select Update Driver.

Article for reference:
    Update drivers in Windows 10

If the issue persists, I would suggest you to try booting the computer into Safe Mode and see if the issue persists in Safe Mode.
    Refer the article Start
    your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

If you are not facing the issue in Safe Mode then perform a Clean Boot being in Safe Mode environment.

Performing a clean boot will start the computer with minimal set of drivers and programs, to determine whether a background program is causing the issue. Some of the Startup programs will not load after performing a clean boot on the computer. However,
    that functionality will return when you reset the computer to start normally after finishing the troubleshooting.

To perform a clean boot on the computer refer to the article
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows

In case the error is not present in Clean Mode then refer the section
    How to determine what is causing the problem after you do a clean boot
    to identify the root cause of the issue.

Note: Please go through the section:
    Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting
    from the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue

For additional information, see
    Fix File Explorer if it won't open or start

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jan 27, 2021
Thema:

Windows Explorer not starting after restarting computer. Even if I try to do a temporary...

1. Windows Explorer not starting after restarting computer. Even if I try to do a temporary... - Similar Threads - Explorer starting restarting

2. Computer sometimes refuses to start programmes and won't even restart?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer sometimes refuses to start programmes and won't even restart?: Ok so my computer has been doing this for a while now and it happens randomly I don't know why it does it or what causes it but randomly I will try open a game and it won't open doesnt matter what type of game it is steam origin or even from a dvd rom will not open but...
  3. Computer sometimes refuses to start programmes and won't even restart?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer sometimes refuses to start programmes and won't even restart?: Ok so my computer has been doing this for a while now and it happens randomly I don't know why it does it or what causes it but randomly I will try open a game and it won't open doesnt matter what type of game it is steam origin or even from a dvd rom will not open but...
  4. Computer sometimes refuses to start programmes and won't even restart?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. My computer is force restarting when trying to play valorant, even after re-installing...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer is force restarting when trying to play valorant, even after re-installing...: Every time I try to run valorant it runs for a few minutes and then force restarts my laptop. I've looked at the reliability report and it says "Windows stopped working" then "Windows shut down unexpectedly". The description from "Windows stopped working" says that it...
  6. Why does my computer restart when I try to start it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my computer restart when I try to start it: When I try to start my computer it flashes a blue screen for a second and then restarts https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-my-computer-restart-when-i-try-to-start/ecede717-88f1-4d63-aa99-c6e82df29080
  7. Why does my computer restart when I try to start it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my computer restart when I try to start it: When I try to start my computer it flashes a blue screen for a second and then restarts https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-my-computer-restart-when-i-try-to-start/ecede717-88f1-4d63-aa99-c6e82df29080
  8. The computer does not start after a restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The computer does not start after a restart: Hi, My computer is not working at all and I am beginning to think it was a virus or some kind of malware. I was trying to reset my computer, and after resetting it, it would charge for about 10 seconds, shut down, and do the exact same thing again. The entire percentage...
  9. PC will not start even after BitLocker Key “problem restarting.”

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC will not start even after BitLocker Key “problem restarting.”: I turnes on my computer and suddenly Bitlocker required a key. I found the key by logging in via my phone. I entered the key and my PC still will not restart. I am currently uninstalling the latest quality update. Does anyone know of any other way to get my computer to start...
  10. Windows Start Menu Closes Automatically even after Restart / Shutdown

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Start Menu Closes Automatically even after Restart / Shutdown: The Windows 10 Start Menu closes automatically when I type anything into it after hitting the windows key, or when moving my mouse. In addition, all metro-based applications Such as Windows Update will also automatically close after a second or so of being open. Restarting...