Windows 10: Windows Explorer often freezes when moving files with mouse

Discus and support Windows Explorer often freezes when moving files with mouse in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Win 10 Dell XPS8930 is very sick. Windows Explorer freezes almost at random when I am using the mouse, but I can get going again by restarting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hjpatten, Jan 6, 2020.

1. hjpatten Win User

Windows Explorer often freezes when moving files with mouse

My Win 10 Dell XPS8930 is very sick. Windows Explorer freezes almost at random when I am using the mouse, but I can get going again by restarting Explorer with Task Manager. SFC reports that some files are corrupt but cannot be fixed. DISM reports that the component store is repairable but I do not know how to find/use the WIM file which presumably contains the uncorrupted files. I also tried Restore but it never completed either successfully or unsuccessfully. What can I do next, please?

Winver 1809 OS 17763.914

:)

hjpatten, Jan 6, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 6, 2020
  3. File Explorer freezes when hovering the cursor over the "create" section.

Hi Alex,

To better assist you, we'd like to know the following:

• Did you make any changes prior to this issue?
    • Are you getting any error messages after File Explorer freezes?
    • What troubleshooting have you done so far?
    In the meantime, we suggest you restart Windows Explorer by following the steps below:

• Type Task Manager in search bar.
    • Click Task Manager.
    • On the pop-up window, under Windows processes, scroll-down to
      Windows Explorer.
    • Right-click Windows Explorer, and click Restart.
    We look forward to your response.

Thank you.

Kenneth Mon, Jan 6, 2020
  4. Erika Aro Win User

window file explorer freezes while black strip comes above the explorer window

Hi Sunny,

Windows Explorer freezes may be due to third-party programs or virus infection. As an initial troubleshooting step, temporarily disable your antivirus programs. After that, replicate the issue if it will freeze. You can enable your antivirus program after
    we troubleshoot.

If the issue persists, you can try refreshing/restarting Windows Explorer by following these steps:

• Open Task Manager by typing it in the Cortana search bar, then press Enter.
    • Look for Windows Explorer, then right-click it and select End task.
    • The taskbar will disappear at the bottom of your screen.
    • On the Task Manager, look for any installed application like your browser.
    • Right-click it and select the Open file location. A new window will appear.
    • Click the File tab and select Open Windows Powershell, then select Open Windows Powershell as administrator.
    • Type in explorer.exe and press Enter.

It should put the taskbar back at the bottom of your screen. Check if it will freeze again.

Keep us posted after performing the troubleshooting steps.

Erika Aro, Jan 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows Explorer often freezes when moving files with mouse - Similar Threads - Explorer often freezes

2. Windows File Explorer freezes when moving files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows File Explorer freezes when moving files: Hi, Windows File Explorer keeps freezing when I try moving files out of a folder. The Mouse with the file which is beeing dragged stops right at the corner of the Explorer window and the File Explorer gets overlayed grey program has stopped working for a few seconds up to...
  3. Windows File Explorer freezes when moving files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows File Explorer freezes when moving files: Hi, Windows File Explorer keeps freezing when I try moving files out of a folder. The Mouse with the file which is beeing dragged stops right at the corner of the Explorer window and the File Explorer gets overlayed grey program has stopped working for a few seconds up to...
  4. Explorer freezes when moving or copying files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Explorer freezes when moving or copying files.: I am trying to clean up my computer and whenever I try to copy or move any elements from one directory to another it suddenly gets stuck after a couple of files or even at the very beginning. Just like so:This makes me unable to organize any of my folders on my computer. I...
  5. Explorer freezes when moving or copying files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer freezes when moving or copying files.: I am trying to clean up my computer and whenever I try to copy or move any elements from one directory to another it suddenly gets stuck after a couple of files or even at the very beginning. Just like so:This makes me unable to organize any of my folders on my computer. I...
  6. Explorer freezes when moving or copying files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. My File Explorer often freezes.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My File Explorer often freezes.: The issue began since 18/8/2020 by which I've experienced an issue with File Explorer, I have a Lenovo Legion y540, it is a fast gaming laptop, it has an SSD and HDD and both work fine, all the applications run smooth and fine, but the File Explorer often freezes when I...
  8. My Archive Explorer often freezes.

My Archive Explorer often freezes.: The issue began since 18/8/2020 by which I've experienced an issue with Archive Explorer, I have a Lenovo Legion y540, it is a fast gaming laptop, it has an SSD and HDD and both work fine, all the applications run smooth and fine, but the Archive Explorer often freezes when I...
  9. Programs freeze every so often when clicking mouse

Programs freeze every so often when clicking mouse: Hi, When i'm using Windows 10, every so often, programs freeze, even when it's just a simple action. My mouse still works, and I can use other programs while I wait till the frozen program unfreezes. Any suggestions? I have ran a memory diagnostic, no issues. I have...
  10. random freezing when moving mouse to taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    random freezing when moving mouse to taskbar: Windows 10 will now be available to the general public beginning 5/8/2018. Early release is available on 4/30/2018. The log files indicated the computer was/is having problems with BSOD. 1) See if you can find out the drivers that were installed using Iorbit or driver...