Windows 10: Windows Explorer "Open file location" opens Search Results

Discus and support Windows Explorer "Open file location" opens Search Results in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Try this: Open Windows Explorer Go to Quick access -> Desktop Right-click on empty area -> New -> Text Document Search "New Text Document" without... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Moroni Stubbe, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Windows Explorer "Open file location" opens Search Results

Try this:

1. Open Windows Explorer
    2. Go to Quick access -> Desktop
    3. Right-click on empty area -> New -> Text Document
    4. Search "New Text Document" without quotes
    5. In the search results, right-click "New Text Document.txt" -> Send to -> Desktop create shortcut
    6. Go back to Quick access -> Desktop
    7. Right-click "New Text Document.txt - Shortcut" -> Open file location

It goes to Search Results instead of Desktop. This is not much of a problem if you're working with a single shortcut. But if you've created multiple shortcuts through Search Results, this will be a problem.

"Open file location" does not go to the file location. How to fix this?

:)

Moroni Stubbe, Feb 17, 2021

2. File Explorer Search: Results not opening

When I use File Explorer Search in my user folders, the results appear to have lost their association and do not open when I click them.

Before search:

Windows Explorer "Open file location" opens Search Results [​IMG]

After search for "Get"

Windows Explorer "Open file location" opens Search Results [​IMG]

Note the icons have gone, the folder is not listed. Clicking the file does zilch.

nigelmercier, Feb 17, 2021
  3. File explorer will not open on windows 10

In this case, it's possible that the File Explorer is set to open an incorrect/corrupted file location. To rule out folder path related issues, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Type Control Panel in the search box. From the search result, click
      Control Panel.
    • Select Small icons from the View by: drop-down list located on the top right side of the window.
    • Select File Explorer Options.
    • Under the General tab, select This
      PC
      from the Open File Explorer to: drop-down list.
    • Click OK.

Once you're done, open File Explorer again and check if the issue persists.

Feel free to post back if you encounter any challenges along the process.

Darwin Dim, Feb 17, 2021
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows Explorer "Open file location" opens Search Results

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 17, 2021
Thema:

Windows Explorer "Open file location" opens Search Results

1. Windows Explorer "Open file location" opens Search Results - Similar Threads - Explorer Open file

2. How do I open the folder location of a shortcut from search results in file explorer the...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I open the folder location of a shortcut from search results in file explorer the...: How do I open the folder location of a shortcut from search results in file explorer the actual location of the .lnk file, not the target? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-open-the-folder-location-of-a-shortcut/49720f83-2ef5-4495-a4bf-963c164fdb15
  3. How do I open the folder location of a shortcut from search results in file explorer the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I open the folder location of a shortcut from search results in file explorer the...: How do I open the folder location of a shortcut from search results in file explorer the actual location of the .lnk file, not the target? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-open-the-folder-location-of-a-shortcut/49720f83-2ef5-4495-a4bf-963c164fdb15
  4. How do I open the folder location of a shortcut from search results in file explorer the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File Explorer search results, open folder location without Context Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer search results, open folder location without Context Menu: Hi, in File Explorer, when you do a search and then get folders as result. I always want to open it with the folder location ie. with its actually folder location. So each time I have to 1st open the context menu to click on 'Open folder location' :This is really time...
  6. File Explorer search results, open folder location without Context Menu

File Explorer search results, open folder location without Context Menu: Hi, in File Explorer, when you do a search and then get folders as result. I always want to open it with the folder location ie. with its actually folder location. So each time I have to 1st open the context menu to click on 'Open folder location' :This is really time...
  7. Recent files open by an App in search result

Recent files open by an App in search result: How do i clear recent files open by an App in search result? I've try to clear all history from Explorer's Option I've try to Disable "Show recently opened item in jump list...." at start setting. please help Here is the recent that i mean, tat colored by yellow in...
  8. Documents in Taskbar Search results open in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Documents in Taskbar Search results open in Explorer: Hello again I'm having a weird problem. Suddenly, whenever I search for a document of any kind (xls, docx, pdf, doesn't matter), using the Taskbar Search, the document will open in File Explorer when i click it, rather than the program that's supposed to open it. For...
  9. Keeping search results open

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Keeping search results open: Hi, I hope I'm missing something here. Is there a way to keep the search results box open? If click away from the box it closes itself which not what I want to happen. Dave 32360
  10. File Explorer Search: Results not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search: Results not opening: When I use File Explorer Search in my user folders, the results appear to have lost their association and do not open when I click them. Before search: [img] After search for "Get" [img] Note the icons have gone, the folder is not listed. Clicking the file does...