Windows 10: Windows Explorer opens duplicate windows

Discus and support Windows Explorer opens duplicate windows in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Since Windows 10 preview, I've had really weird Explorer behavior. Sometimes, when I click a directory, Explorer will open two instances of it in two... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by authorandrew, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Windows Explorer opens duplicate windows

Since Windows 10 preview, I've had really weird Explorer behavior. Sometimes, when I click a directory, Explorer will open two instances of it in two new windows, in addition to the already-open window that I was clicking from. This happens at random with different folders, usually ones that are sub-folders of folders on the desktop.

There's no rhyme or reason, and I'm not accidentally double-clicking. I have my folder options set to single-click open and windows open in the same window. I've also reset my folder options and this problem has not changed. Has anyone else experienced this?

I've even reset the computer and still experience this issue, so it's not a lingering bug from the preview, I don't think. I'm not on the preview any more.

:)

authorandrew, Feb 16, 2016

2. Duplicate Program Shortcuts...

Open File Explorer and go to Windows - Start menu - Programs folder. Delete the duplicate shortcuts from there.

Linley Meslier, Feb 16, 2016
  3. FILE EXPLORER ICON IN WINDOWS 10 DUPLICATED WHEN FILE EXPLORER OPENS

Thanks for your reply.

I actually figured this out on my own. I hovered over the duplicated icon and noticed it was labeled Windows Explorer whereas the program I'd pinned was labeled File Explorer. While I still had instances of Windows Explorer open, I unpinned File Explorer.
    Then I closed the opened instances and Windows Explorer and the icon operated normally, as it did before the update to Windows 10.

Amy Singer, Feb 16, 2016
  4. Britton Win User

Windows Explorer opens duplicate windows

Could try adjusting the left click speed/sensitivity in the mouse properties from the settings menu. Also if your using a wireless mouse, could be a weak battery.

I do not know the type or quality of your mouse, but I know in the past I had a cheapo mouse for a laptop and it lasted about a week. It did what your describing, due to the left click key becoming worn down on the inside of the mouse. I fixed it temporarily by adding a piece of thin paper folded a few times and locked it in place by closing the mouse housing around it.

Also, try the mouse a on a different PC if possible and see if it produces the same issue.

Britton, Feb 16, 2016
  5. It's just the built-in trackpad, laptop is less than a year old. I'm fairly certain it's not the click settings, more like an Explorer bug. Regardless of how I click, some folders present this bug much more often than others (some all of the time, others sporadically)

authorandrew, Feb 16, 2016
  6. Britton Win User
    Ah ok I understand now. I thought it was a USB mouse of some kind, sorry about that.

I just recently let go of my HP Elitebook 8440w and it used the Synaptics Touch Pad driver. Mine also had problems with the mouse pad having a tracking issue, the mouse pointer would just randomly fly up and get stuck in the upper right corner of the screen. The only two resolutions I could figure out was to either hit the disable button on the laptop itself. Or uninstall and reinstall the Synaptics driver, have you tried that yet?

I'm thinking that your either running the generic Microsoft update driver or Windows update is sending you a specific driver like it did on my laptop, and that driver is in conflict. I found that the mouse info screen (from Synaptics) buried up in settings showed I had two different versions of the same drivers installed at the same time and both were active.

Sadly I was never able to stop it from being buggy with the jumping pointer, but that didn't really matter because I kept a stand alone USB mouse in the carry bag and preferred using that over touch pad.

This all the advice I can think of, good luck, I hope you figure it out.

Britton, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows Explorer opens duplicate windows

1. Windows Explorer opens duplicate windows - Similar Threads - Explorer opens duplicate

2. Duplicate folders in File Explorer Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duplicate folders in File Explorer Windows 11: I am using Windows 11 and in File Explorer I am seeing duplicate folder names under each of my library folders.This I am finding very confusing and I don't know if this is normal or an error. I am using a new computer and I do not what to transfer my files from the old system...
  3. Duplicate folders in File Explorer Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Duplicate folders in File Explorer Windows 11: I am using Windows 11 and in File Explorer I am seeing duplicate folder names under each of my library folders.This I am finding very confusing and I don't know if this is normal or an error. I am using a new computer and I do not what to transfer my files from the old system...
  4. WIndows Explorer Search duplicates.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WIndows Explorer Search duplicates.: Has anyone been having problems with the search function in Windows Explorer showing repeat search results? Whenever I try to search something that has more than 36 results, such as photos, it repeats almost each of those results. Clicking on one result will also select the...
  5. Duplicate drives in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicate drives in Windows Explorer: Hi there, Recently i got duplicated drives in Windows explorer, see the screenshot. Any idea how to fix? [img] 155957
  6. Duplicate libraries in explorer files windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Duplicate libraries in explorer files windows 10: I had the problem of duplicate libraries in the file browser of windows 10. When I changed the location of a library they changed all at once having 7 libraries called "documents". Looking for how to solve this problem I only found as a solution to create a new user....
  7. Windows File Explorer Duplicates Drives

Windows File Explorer Duplicates Drives: In my PC tower I have two 1.0TB solid state drives (C and E). Connected externally I have two 2.0TB and one 3.0TB portable disc drives (G, H and I) and also a 16GB memory stick used as a ReadyBoost (drive F). In my Windows File Explorer Drives C and E show normally (i.e. once...
  8. Duplicate pendrive shwn in windows explorer

Duplicate pendrive shwn in windows explorer: Hello you may try this option as for me it work it remove only one and not showing duplicate anymore https://www.askvg.com/fix-drives-appearing-twice-in-navigation-pane-of-windows-10-explorer-this-pc/ regards Shaun...
  9. USB Duplication in Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Duplication in Explorer: I have just bought two new SanDisk 32 GB USBs and when I insert each of them in my Vaio laptop, it show as duplicated - showing "This PC - removable disk (E) and the other just removable disk (E). Even the contents I have put on one have been duplicated. Can anyone tell me if...
  10. Windows Explorer Help with Duplicate Folder Links

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer Help with Duplicate Folder Links: Guys, Not sure how to describe, but will do my best. So i rebuilt my PC yesterday after fitting a new HDD. Basically previously on a physically different HDD I had all my "My Documents", "Pictures", "Music","Downloads" & "Videos" folders in a onedrive folder which then...