Windows 10: Windows Explorer periodic High CPU Usage when it is opened

Discus and support Windows Explorer periodic High CPU Usage when it is opened in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi guys,I've been dealing with this High CPU usage, which lasts a few seconds and falls back to normal values almost immediately. I have noticed when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Abdullah Thahir, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Windows Explorer periodic High CPU Usage when it is opened

Hi guys,I've been dealing with this High CPU usage, which lasts a few seconds and falls back to normal values almost immediately. I have noticed when this happens, desktop icons flashing, like it is resetting and immediately back to normal. Also, when using the Windows explorer application, when this event occurs, the window freezes saying "Windows explorer Not Responding" for a few seconds, after which it flashes and its back to normal, before the same thing cycles and happens again. You notice the issue big time, when trying to rename a file/document, when you start typing the new name it

:)

Abdullah Thahir, Sep 19, 2021

2. Windows Explorer high CPU Usage in Windows 10

Hi Andrew,

Usually, too many background processes can boost your CPU usage. Since you already disabled the apps that are not necessary on startup,
    we suggest checking the applications running once you have successfully boot Windows 10. To do this, simply follow the steps below:

• Click on the Start button and type Task Manager on the search box.
    • On the Task Manager window, you should see the programs running.
    • Click on the More details drop-down button to see the total number of apps running and their real-time CPU usage.

From there, you should see what applications are running on high CPU usage. You can also
    restart the Windows Management Instrumentation service and see if your CPU performance will improve. Follow the instructions below to restart the service:

• Click on the Start button and type Services.
    • Scroll down the list and look for Windows Management Instrumentation.
    • Right click on it and select Restart.

Should you have further questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, Sep 19, 2021
  3. Windows Explorer high CPU Usage in Windows 10

To further troubleshoot the issue, we suggest checking the Task Manager again to see what are the
    applications that have high CPU usage. To do this, follow the same steps you did from the previous reply:

• Click on the Start button and type Task Manager on the search box.
    • On the Task Manager window, you should see the programs running.
    • Click on the More details drop-down button to see the total number of apps running and their real-time CPU usage.

However, based on your response above, it seems that you may need to create a new user account again and just install your apps manually instead of copying them as your
    previous user account might be corrupted.

Once your done with the steps, please let us know how it goes.

Jefferson Ore, Sep 19, 2021
  4. ajs007 Win User

Windows Explorer periodic High CPU Usage when it is opened

Windows Explorer high CPU usage as Apps or Background Process...

3May2018...

Running Windows10 Home Ver 1709 latest OS Build on

Intel Core i5 CPU @ 3.8GHz.

Recently Windows Explorer has been running at high CPU usage 45% to 50%

Even when I am not using File Explorer - Windows Explorer runs as a Background Process as same high CPU usage...

First when will Microsoft stick to the new name File Explorer - instead of showing Windows Explorer as the app in the Task Manager...confusing :-(

Two - I saw someone else with the same problem and a ridiculous multi step cumbersome solution of creating another account (where Windows Explorer did not have high CPU) and then a painful exercise of trying to migrate all applications and files from one
    account to the other.

Apparently the original user account may have had a corruption....

Are there any simpler explanations out there on how to fix run away Windows(File) Explorer???

ajs007, Sep 19, 2021
Thema:

Windows Explorer periodic High CPU Usage when it is opened

1. Windows Explorer periodic High CPU Usage when it is opened - Similar Threads - Explorer periodic High

2. When I open File Explorer, High CPU usage in Win 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I open File Explorer, High CPU usage in Win 11.: Hi friends,Every time I open a file explorer, the CPU usage increases immediately. I open the task manager and restart the windows explorer, this can temporarily force CPU works as normal. I use M/S' process explorer checked the process, it is called ntdll.dll!rtlclear...
  3. When I open File Explorer, High CPU usage in Win 11.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I open File Explorer, High CPU usage in Win 11.: Hi friends,Every time I open a file explorer, the CPU usage increases immediately. I open the task manager and restart the windows explorer, this can temporarily force CPU works as normal. I use M/S' process explorer checked the process, it is called ntdll.dll!rtlclear...
  4. Periodic high CPU usage by Windows Explorer on my laptop Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Periodic high CPU usage by Windows Explorer on my laptop Windows 10: Can anyone help me with this laptop issue of mine, where Windows Explorers CPU usage periodically spikes to above 20%, ramping up my laptops fans until it's restarted, either in Task Manager, or clicking the Task Bar a few times?Things I've tried thus far that haven't solved...
  5. Periodic high CPU usage by Windows Explorer on my laptop Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Periodic high CPU usage by Windows Explorer on my laptop Windows 10: Can anyone help me with this laptop issue of mine, where Windows Explorers CPU usage periodically spikes to above 20%, ramping up my laptops fans until it's restarted, either in Task Manager, or clicking the Task Bar a few times?Things I've tried thus far that haven't solved...
  6. Periodic high CPU usage by Windows Explorer on my laptop Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Cpu Usage high when opening task manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cpu Usage high when opening task manager: Hello Microsoft Community, recently my pc has started to have a 1 second spike when opening programms. I dont think if downloaded any malware, because ive just been playing games like i normally do. I found out that when i disable all microsoft services in msconfig, my pc...
  8. Cpu Usage high when opening task manager

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cpu Usage high when opening task manager: Hello Microsoft Community, recently my pc has started to have a 1 second spike when opening programms. I dont think if downloaded any malware, because ive just been playing games like i normally do. I found out that when i disable all microsoft services in msconfig, my pc...
  9. high CPU usage by Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    high CPU usage by Windows Explorer: Hi, I was looking through the performance of my new msi laptop, and noticed Windows Explorer was using almost the same, if not more CPU than fusion360. Even with all apps closed and at idle, the program is still using up to 17% cpu. I've looked up causes for this, and one...
  10. Periodic Lock Ups w/ High CPU Usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Periodic Lock Ups w/ High CPU Usage: Hello all, Every now and then my laptop will lock up with high cpu usage or just slow to a crawl. I want to use a program to capture when this happens. For example: I want to set up a program to generate a log or alert when a process reaches say 85% usage of the CPU for...