Windows 10: Windows Explorer Preview Pane not working with OneDrive / Sharepoint Files in Cloud

Discus and support Windows Explorer Preview Pane not working with OneDrive / Sharepoint Files in Cloud in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; According to the MS post below, OneDrive on-Demand files are supposed to be viewable in the preview pane, but I can't seem to get it to work. Files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PKolasinski, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Windows Explorer Preview Pane not working with OneDrive / Sharepoint Files in Cloud

According to the MS post below, OneDrive on-Demand files are supposed to be viewable in the preview pane, but I can't seem to get it to work. Files that are downloaded (green checkmark) work fine, but those that are on-demand (blue cloud) don't, regardless of file type.

The post: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/file-types-supported-for-previewing-files-in-onedrive-sharepoint-and-teams-e054cd0f-8ef2-4ccb-937e-26e37419c5e4

Setup details: We've recently migrated our files into a SharePoint directory, and have set up OneDrive on all the office computers (All relatively new Core i5/i7s, running Windows 10 pro, fully patched, and Office 365 (E5 tier), fully patched). Three computers in the office, all have the same issue. 25MBps broadband connection, if that is somehow relevant.

Problem details: When browsing the Sharepoint directory in Windows explorer, the preview pane is blank if the file is on-demand (has a blue cloud icon next to it). If we download the file (either by opening it, giving it a hollow green checkmark, or by marking to keep it always in the device, getting a solid green checkmark), the preview pane works as usual. Preview pane works just fine for other local files (not in the sharepoint or onedrive directories). The missing preview pane behavior is the same on on-demand files in OneDrive (not sharepoint) directories.

I can use "Extra Large Icons" view to get something vaguely resembling a preview, and those icons populate just fine (it takes a moment for the thumbnails to download, but it's pretty close to instant). This works for some files, but for documents (whether PDF, DOCX, or XLSX), there's just not enough detail there.

I would assume this is not possible, but the above-referenced post explicitly says that we should be able to preview these file types on on-demand files.

I've been searching through the forums and web, but can't seem to find a solution. Any ideas?

:)

PKolasinski, Jan 14, 2019

2. preview/details pane in explorer

Hi,

Setting the Preview pane to show or hide in File Explorer will apply to all folders. If you wish to hide the Preview pane in File Explorer, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Tap on View tab.
    • Click Preview Pane to view/hide it.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Jan 14, 2019
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer Preview Pane Word Doc fix

Seriously, what's so difficult to understand about these simple steps?

Windows Explorer Preview Pane not working with OneDrive / Sharepoint Files in Cloud 9268fd52-a2eb-45b7-9e65-9eed7f92b5bb.png

RobertJWin, Jan 14, 2019
  4. tips-ltd Win User

Windows Explorer Preview Pane not working with OneDrive / Sharepoint Files in Cloud

Preview pane (file explorer) not always working on OneDrive files

Having opened a .jpg or .mpg etc , look at 'recent files' in file explorer- the files appear in preview pane as expected- I have come across this problem on the six machines I have checked. To get the preview pane to work again either uncheck the 'files
    on demand' in onedrive settings or (with care!!) 'Unlink' the onedrive in settings. All the local files will now show up as normal!! Sorry I can't be of more help.

tips-ltd, Jan 14, 2019
Thema:

Windows Explorer Preview Pane not working with OneDrive / Sharepoint Files in Cloud

1. Windows Explorer Preview Pane not working with OneDrive / Sharepoint Files in Cloud - Similar Threads - Explorer Preview Pane

2. File Explorer Preview Pane not showing OneDrive cloud only files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Preview Pane not showing OneDrive cloud only files: Just purchased Surface Pro 9 i5. No issues accessing all my OneDrive files. And from now on I want to minimize the files stored locally.But File Explorer Preview Pane will not show a preview for cloud files that I have not previously opened.Is there some way to make this...
  3. File Explorer Preview Pane not showing OneDrive cloud only files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Preview Pane not showing OneDrive cloud only files: Just purchased Surface Pro 9 i5. No issues accessing all my OneDrive files. And from now on I want to minimize the files stored locally.But File Explorer Preview Pane will not show a preview for cloud files that I have not previously opened.Is there some way to make this...
  4. Windows Explorer Preview Pane not working with OneDrive in Cloud

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer Preview Pane not working with OneDrive in Cloud: How do I enable preview pane to work for files on-demand?When browsing the Sharepoint directory in Windows explorer, the preview pane is blank if the file is on-demand has a blue cloud icon next to it. If we download the file either by opening it, giving it a hollow green...
  5. Windows Explorer Preview Pane not working with OneDrive in Cloud

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer Preview Pane not working with OneDrive in Cloud: How do I enable preview pane to work for files on-demand?When browsing the Sharepoint directory in Windows explorer, the preview pane is blank if the file is on-demand has a blue cloud icon next to it. If we download the file either by opening it, giving it a hollow green...
  6. Windows Explorer Preview Pane not working with OneDrive in Cloud

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. File Explorer Preview Pane is not working

File Explorer Preview Pane is not working: File Explorer Preview Pane is not working, suddenly only shows a thumbprint of the PDF File. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-preview-pane-is-not-working/e314f566-0e74-46bb-aa87-f96a7aaa56e8
  8. Preview Pane not working in File Explorer

Preview Pane not working in File Explorer: What can be the reason that at the same folder I can see a preview of some doc's and pdf files, and some of them after click on the file, I can't see the preview at the preview pane. Please your help. Thanks Orna...
  9. Windows Explorer File Preview pane not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Explorer File Preview pane not working: File Previews in the explorer preview pane are not working for me. I found a fix here, but the file which it suggests you edit is not in my registry:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced - ShowPreviewHandlers There is no...
  10. OneDrive and Explorer's Preview/Details pane

OneDrive and Explorer's Preview/Details pane: Dear Microsoft and users, I noticed that, when you enable the Preview or Details pane while using OneDrive, Windows Explorer will "stop responding". There's probably a problem with fetching certain information form OneDrive files even when they are set to "always available...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file explorer not responding when open a word file in onedrive folder

2. ONE DRIVE IN EXPLORER VIEW WINDOWS 10 WHY NO PREVIEW AVAILABEL

3. onedrive in file explorer not responding when i click on word documents with the preview pane on

4. can you use preview pane for files on demand?,
  5. preview documents in one drive,
  6. preview documents pane cloud,
  7. one drive no file to preview,
  8. onedrive preview pdf not working,
  9. preview pane in onedrive doesnt show files,
  10. wmv files wont preview in one drive,
  11. preview pane not working for word documents,
  12. preview pane not working in onedrive,
  13. scroll word documents in preview pane,
  14. windows preview pane is not working,
  15. windows preview pane pdf not working onedrive