Windows 10: Windows Explorer Properties File Size and Folder / File Count not working accurately

Discus and support Windows Explorer Properties File Size and Folder / File Count not working accurately in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When you try to establish file sizes (right click-properties), e.g. for fitting on a backup flash drive / or copying, the file sizes in folders, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GeoffButler2, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Windows Explorer Properties File Size and Folder / File Count not working accurately

When you try to establish file sizes (right click-properties), e.g. for fitting on a backup flash drive / or copying, the file sizes in folders, and the files and sub-folders count is not complete / accurate, and represents a fraction of the total.

This makes administration of the disk difficult, especially when you have a small Solid State drive for running system and program files and need to move working files and data across to other hard drives.

Presumably, as Windows Explorer is a subroutine of Windows itself, you cannot re-install this part of Windows without doing a complete ground-zero re-install of Windows and all the programs that operate under it?

:)

GeoffButler2, Mar 4, 2019

2. I have added the file count column to my folder in File Explorer. However, the actual file count is not displaying.

Hi Loren,

I appreciate if you could answer a
    few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• How did you added file count column for folders in File Explorer? What are the steps did you followed?
    • When you say, "actual file count is not displaying" is this issue specific to any folder or happening with all folders?
    • Have you installed any third party anti-virus on your system?
    Meanwhile, I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if this helps.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Click on View from navigation pane and choose Detail pane.
    Write to us with the above information and status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Mar 4, 2019
  3. LorenWard Win User
    I have added the file count column to my folder in File Explorer. However, the actual file count is not displaying.

• Using File Explorer, I navigated to the folder I wanted to view the file counts, I right clicked on the column labels and chose File Count.
    • This is occurring on any folder when I try to use the File Count column
    • I currently use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes
    • I also tried changing the View to Detail Pane, that did not make any difference.

LorenWard, Mar 4, 2019
  4. Windows Explorer Properties File Size and Folder / File Count not working accurately

File Explorer -> Properties returning incorrect file count (Windows 10)

Hi,

I just copied my personal files to an external hard drive, and wanted to confirm file count and size were the same. In doing so, I discovered that Windows Explorer is returning an incorrect (too low) file count on my current machine.

For example, right-clicking on the folder "02 94 Drew B" gives a file count of 247 files. But when I left-click into that folder and select its entire contents and then right-click, I get a total of 249 files. The 249 file count is the correct count. Also,
    as I mentioned above I had copied all of this to an external hard drive; when I right-click "02 94 Drew B" on the external hard drive, I get the correct count (249, not 247).

I made sure all hidden items are showing in my view properties. I tried rebuilding the Windows search index. I found old questions referencing somewhat similar issues, but no resolution.

INCORRECT FILE COUNT:

Windows Explorer Properties File Size and Folder / File Count not working accurately 474e700d-ab7f-4d8b-a6f5-5c0f43312d7c?upload=true.png

CORRECT FILE COUNT:

Windows Explorer Properties File Size and Folder / File Count not working accurately 7d33b08d-7e07-418e-b1fb-59e4282bdf1a?upload=true.png

JosephCandelora, Mar 4, 2019
Thema:

Windows Explorer Properties File Size and Folder / File Count not working accurately

1. Windows Explorer Properties File Size and Folder / File Count not working accurately - Similar Threads - Explorer Properties File

2. Windows explorer's "file count" still doesn't work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows explorer's "file count" still doesn't work: Dear Microsoft,It's been six years since this issue:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-added-the-file-count-column-to-my-folder-in/d7ac6505-265f-4e55-b89f-1310f1eaec7cWhy it still doesn't work?And "for the love of god" why the size column in details...
  3. Windows explorer's "file count" still doesn't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows explorer's "file count" still doesn't work: Dear Microsoft,It's been six years since this issue:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-added-the-file-count-column-to-my-folder-in/d7ac6505-265f-4e55-b89f-1310f1eaec7cWhy it still doesn't work?And "for the love of god" why the size column in details...
  4. Windows 11 File Manager reports wrong file count & folder size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 File Manager reports wrong file count & folder size: File Manager does not consider all files & folders while calculating the size Right click --> Properties. When I checked further, found that files & folders without Read access are excluded from the calculation. Which other types of files & folders are excluded? Please...
  5. Windows 11 File Manager reports wrong file count & folder size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 File Manager reports wrong file count & folder size: File Manager does not consider all files & folders while calculating the size Right click --> Properties. When I checked further, found that files & folders without Read access are excluded from the calculation. Which other types of files & folders are excluded? Please...
  6. File explorer file count and size missing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer file count and size missing: I just noticed this and I don't know if it's a new "feature" or bug; the File Explorer when I would select a group of files, at the very bottom of the File Explorer the is would list out how many files I selected. Or if I select a file, it would read out the size of such...
  7. File Explorer reports incorrect file count and folder volume.

File Explorer reports incorrect file count and folder volume.: Hello, I found several cases reporting the same bug on the Internet but did not find a solution so far. I have Windows 10 home edition on my PC and File Explorer > Properties reports wrong file count and folder volume if the folders that have subfolders. Does anybody know...
  8. File Explorer -> Properties returning incorrect file count (Windows 10)

File Explorer -> Properties returning incorrect file count (Windows 10): Hi, I just copied my personal files to an external hard drive, and wanted to confirm file count and size were the same. In doing so, I discovered that Windows Explorer is returning an incorrect (too low) file count on my current machine. For example, right-clicking on the...
  9. Win10 Folder Properties never stops counting files.

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Folder Properties never stops counting files.: Trying to figure out how many files I have in my itunes music folder, so I right clock on the folder and select properties. The file size and count never stop and actually go above the size of the actual hard drive. There should be about 65,000 files taking up about 300GB....
  10. File explorer view file/folder properties

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer view file/folder properties: So I want all folders and files to view as "large icons"(I'm doing all of this in File Explorer) I went to C: drive, and clicked on large icons so folders and files display as such >Folder options>click on the view tab> then Apply to Folders [img] Folders and files...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows file explorer properties count not accurate