Windows 10: Windows Explorer randomly stops showing thumbnails of pictures in OneDrive synced folders!

Discus and support Windows Explorer randomly stops showing thumbnails of pictures in OneDrive synced folders! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Configuration Lenovo Legion Y740, Intel core i7 9750H, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.685 OneDrive 20.219.1029.0005 Issue... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BikramAgarwal, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Windows Explorer randomly stops showing thumbnails of pictures in OneDrive synced folders!

Configuration

Lenovo Legion Y740, Intel core i7 9750H, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD,

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.685

OneDrive 20.219.1029.0005

Issue

I have my pictures folder synced to OneDrive. Every now n then, Windows explorer stops showing thumbnails in this folder and all sub-folders. This happensonly under onedrive synced folders and not anywhere else. Some days it shows thumbnails, some days it doesn't. Somedays it loses all thumbnails right before my eyes. As in, it is showing the thumbnails when suddenly the explorer window refreshes and all thumbnails vanish. I've rebuilt the thumbnail cache a few times over the months, but this issue comes back within couple of days each time. This is very irritating.

:)

BikramAgarwal, Jan 6, 2021
  2. jsmin Win User

Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Jan 6, 2021
  3. OneDrive on windows 10 explorer won't show thumbnails.

Hello, I have researched this for several hours and have no results. My photos in OneDrive will not display the thumbnails. I can copy the photos out of OneDrive and paste them anywhere else my PC and immediately the thumbnails appear. I go into the settings
    of OneDrive and check sync all files with PC they don't show and when I unchecked it they begin to show.

I saw somewhere where I can create copies of the photos in the same OneDrive folder and the thumbnails will show. I confirm this that does happen but I'm not going to do this on my 60,000 photos.

I also confirm that while using a third-party Explorer like XYplorer, the thumbnails work just fine. Therefore it is a combination of Windows 10 Explorer and OneDrive where the thumbnails will not show on the photos.

I have also confirmed that it does not work after uninstalling OneDrive and reinstalling it. Also, It does not work after rebooting.

Yes, the checkbox is checked in my advanced settings of folder men used to only to not show icons but always show thumbnails. Yes the performance of my PC is set to for appearance which means all the checkbox are checked. All the thumbnails show and every
    other folder on my computer except those that are under OneDrive. What is the solution?

I have also confirmed that they worked fine under Google Drive and also drop box so the issues are definitely OneDrive and Windows 10 Explorer.

KerryVWhite, Jan 6, 2021
  4. JimKWD Win User

Windows Explorer randomly stops showing thumbnails of pictures in OneDrive synced folders!

Picture Thumbnails not showing in explorer

Hi,

I have lost all my picture thumbnails When I open explorer and click on pictures can I show my sub folders I was showing a picture preview of the picture now it just shows the icon with the file name no picture preview. If I click on the picture it opens
    windows photo and display the picture

How do I restore the picture thumbnail display I am using windows 10

Thanks

JimKWD, Jan 6, 2021
Thema:

Windows Explorer randomly stops showing thumbnails of pictures in OneDrive synced folders!

1. Windows Explorer randomly stops showing thumbnails of pictures in OneDrive synced folders! - Similar Threads - Explorer randomly stops

2. Thumbnails not showing Windows 11 - Pictures folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Thumbnails not showing Windows 11 - Pictures folder: Hi there,So in my Pictures folder, I used to see all the images as thumbnails, as I should.Now, some images are showing as usual, then there's a bunch not showing.All I did was update Windows, sheesh, it's like living in a rocket with Microsoft, one moment you're headed in...
  3. Thumbnails not showing Windows 11 - Pictures folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Thumbnails not showing Windows 11 - Pictures folder: Hi there,So in my Pictures folder, I used to see all the images as thumbnails, as I should.Now, some images are showing as usual, then there's a bunch not showing.All I did was update Windows, sheesh, it's like living in a rocket with Microsoft, one moment you're headed in...
  4. Stop Syncing Desktop, Documents and Pictures with Onedrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Stop Syncing Desktop, Documents and Pictures with Onedrive: I have searched but cannot find an issue to my problem. I purchased a new computer, set up Windows 10, and now my Desktop, Documents and Pictures folders are syncing to onedrive. My Documents folder is far too large to sync, and I refuse to buy additional storage that I...
  5. [Bug] Windows Explorer randomly stop showing thumbnails of pictures in OneDrive synced folders!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [Bug] Windows Explorer randomly stop showing thumbnails of pictures in OneDrive synced folders!: Configuration Lenovo Legion Y740, Intel core i7 9750H, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Windows 10 Home 20H2 (Build 19042.685) Issue I have my pictures folder synced to OneDrive. Every now n then, Windows explorer stops showing thumbnails in this folder and all sub-folders. This...
  6. picture folder not showing thumbnails

picture folder not showing thumbnails: I transferred some photos from my phone to a flash drive using an otg adapter then I transferred them from flash drive to computer. I put them in my pictures folder on my hard drive. I have 2 hard drives. The ssd and hdd. I named my hdd E. So I made a pictures folder in that...
  7. Picture thumbnails not showing in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Picture thumbnails not showing in File Explorer: Hi, I installed a Preview program for 3D files and now for some reason JPEGs aren't showing a preview. I installed SageThumbs, didn't work. Changed the thumbnail options in Folders, didn't work! How can I reset the image previews for files? Or at the very least JPEGs?...
  8. Stop OneDrive Pictures Syncing With The Computer.

Stop OneDrive Pictures Syncing With The Computer.: How can I stop OneDrive pictures syncing with PC? ***Edited Original Title From: onedrive sync*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/stop-onedrive-pictures-syncing-with-the-computer/609276a8-0ef7-4391-aa9e-801e4fe1f1ff"
  9. Thumbnails not showing for most pictures in OneDrive folders

Thumbnails not showing for most pictures in OneDrive folders: Hi, So I have pictures, and their thumbnails are showing just fine in regular folders, but once I put them in a OneDrive folder, the thumbnail just disappears after the picture is synced. A weird thing is not all the pictures are affected, some are spared and the thumbs...
  10. Pictures won't show as thumbnails in File Explorer Pictures folder. I have a answer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pictures won't show as thumbnails in File Explorer Pictures folder. I have a answer: Pictures won't show as thumbnails in File Explorer on Windows 10 Just bought a new HP Win10 laptop and for some reason File Explorer would not show most of my pictures or as thumbnails. But with hundreds of files in a dozen folders trying to upload a picture to Facebook or a...