Windows 10: Windows Explorer, recently updated, now hogging CPU and slowing system

Discus and support Windows Explorer, recently updated, now hogging CPU and slowing system in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Summary: system bogs down when any windows are opened using Windows Explorer (recently automatically updated, 8/28/2019 version 10.0.18362.267).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Ursa Max, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Ursa Max Win User

Windows Explorer, recently updated, now hogging CPU and slowing system

Summary: system bogs down when any windows are opened using Windows Explorer (recently automatically updated, 8/28/2019 version 10.0.18362.267). Details follow.

The icons in my taskbars recently started flashing intermittently and it seemed that my system was slowing down. I followed some directions related to flashing icons on this site and at a MS site. These included running sfc /scannnow. Later running DISM.EXE. (full string was DISM.EXE /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth). Neither resolved the issue. The DISM was bit scary since afterward the system message was "preparing Windows 10" for quite a long time.

I've removed all attached devices. I'm using a Lenovo Carbon X1 and suspected a connected device might be the culprit. Rebooted the system twice without any connected devices. No change.

It seems that as I open more folders, the system slows and the icons flash or disappear entirely.

Next clue. Opened task manager and found that with few programs open, my CPU was 100% occupied. Found that with any windows open, Windows Explorer using more than 60% of overall CPU. Closed Windows Explorer windows, now at 0% CPU time, and CPU is now at 4%.

Windows Explorer was updated on August 28, 2019 at 2:18PM. There are no other versions shown, so I couldn't revert back to a newer version. Any ideas?

:)

Ursa Max, Sep 11, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 11, 2019
  3. mixa Win User
    Microsoft Internet Explorer renamed to Windows Internet Explorer ?

Windows Explorer, recently updated, now hogging CPU and slowing system wie1.png

Since version 7 of the world`s most popular web browser - Microsoft Internet Explorer was silently renamed to Windows Internet Explorer.Such a step from Microsoft is not a surprise since Internet Explorer is part of the Windows operation system for a long time.Obviously Microsoft corp. wants to state that Internet Explorer is already considered as a part of Windows and not as an external browser (remember the IE and WMP law issues last year!?).

4. Frick Win User

Windows 7 Update resource hog

This actually began on the old old system I had this summer: An HP dc7800p with a C2D e8400 and 4GB of RAM.

Various services tied to Windows Update, mostly svchost.exe -ntsvcs is hogging lots of CPU time and gobbles up 2GB of RAM. Sometimes I get weird mouse lag on the desktop, and it generally coincides with the update service spiking. I think that is when it's searching for updates and comparing to whatever is already installed or something because iirc it's essentially combing database files located in the Windows folder. When updates are installing TrustedInstaller and MRT.exe also uses lots of CPU time, and Security Essentials. After reboot it takes a bunch of minutes for everything to calm down.

On the current system it's less noticable (16GB RAM rocks), but on 4GB of RAM it's terrible. I know Windows Update is supposed to do stuff, but svchost can use up to 70% CPU and up to 2GB RAM for anything up to 20 minutes, especially on reboots and resume from sleep, but it happens ... sometimes, often enough for me to get used to it. I thought I had problems with the old machine and ended up simply disabling the update services, only running them manually on patch tuesdays. But it still does it, and it's annoying.

So: Is it supposed to be like this or is there something wrong? Is it just Windows 7 getting older?

And yes, the CPU clocks up as it should.

Frick, Sep 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Explorer, recently updated, now hogging CPU and slowing system - Similar Threads - Explorer recently updated

2. Background update? System hogging 20-50% of system resources.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Background update? System hogging 20-50% of system resources.: My PC is being absolutely destroyed right now, unusable for the past 30 minutes, was fine this morning. i7-7700 HQ, GTX 1060 HQ (forgive my inferior laptop self) Any ideas? submitted by /u/Tankerspam [link] [comments]...
  3. System process hogging 20% of CPU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System process hogging 20% of CPU: Why does the System process suck up around 20% of the CPU all the time? Is it because of HP bloatware? [ATTACH] My PC info can you see this screenshot?: [ATTACH]...
  4. Hidden CPU hogs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hidden CPU hogs: When high CPU usage is sapping a PC, I often can't find the cause in Task Manager. The total CPU use will be high, but no processes will be visible actually hogging the CPU. "Show all processes" or Resource Monitor don't reveal the culprit either. What is usually going on in...
  5. "System" process hogging cpu, traced to non existent driver

"System" process hogging cpu, traced to non existent driver: Hi all. A few weeks ago I installed an audio recording software, but only used it once initially, and haven't used it since. I noticed a little later on that a process called "system" was hogging 15-20% cpu when my games were running, and I had never seen this before....
  6. antimalware is hogging my cpu

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    antimalware is hogging my cpu: how do I remove antimalware https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/antimalware-is-hogging-my-cpu/8e04655c-8234-4499-8e05-1430e3a57db8"
  7. Windows Explorer, recently updated, now hogging CPU and slowing system

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer, recently updated, now hogging CPU and slowing system: Summary: system bogs down when any windows are opened using Windows Explorer (recently automatically updated, 8/28/2019 version 10.0.18362.267). Details follow. The icons in my taskbars recently started flashing intermittently and it seemed that my system was slowing down. I...
  8. Task Manager is hogging the CPU

Task Manager is hogging the CPU: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th gen, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, auto updates. Crapware startup routines disabled except for a couple of printer updaters. Lately I have noticed laggy system performance. I see that Task Manager is hogging the CPU, routinely taking up 15-20% of the CPU. I...
  9. Service Host "Windows Time" hogging CPU

Service Host "Windows Time" hogging CPU: Today I had a system that has been observed running the Windows Time service host at 56% CPU. I couldn't find a lot of literature on the topic and I couldn't resolve. I took a break and the service was back to 0. Someone else is also having the issue. What can cause this and...
  10. Windows 10 is a giant CPU hog!!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 is a giant CPU hog!!: I can hardly keep my systems running a single program on Windows 10 much less multiple operations. CPU is constantly at 99 or 100% regardless of what I do. Now I'm getting a message stating that due to "low memory" windows is going to close "some programs". Whether I click...