Windows 10: Windows Explorer Right Click - reducing items in Drop Down

Discus and support Windows Explorer Right Click - reducing items in Drop Down in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; When I Right Click on an item in Explorer I may want to just select 'Rename' or 'Copy" but there is now so many items in the dropdown and it scrolls... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Ray Bright, May 24, 2016.

1. Windows Explorer Right Click - reducing items in Drop Down

When I Right Click on an item in Explorer I may want to just select 'Rename' or 'Copy" but there is now so many items in the dropdown and it scrolls down over items on the bottom line of the screen.

Every app these days wants to add it's own shortcut to the Right Click e.g 'Open With MyApp...'.

This can be more of a problem with low res screens like tablets with reduced vertical number of lines (pixels).

Ideally I'd like to be able to specify the order of items in the drop down or delete items ..... Any ideas ???

:)

Ray Bright, May 24, 2016

2. File explorer right click blank slots on drop down menu.

Thanks, enabling the administrator account fixed it. I did not get an error code or message on the screen. I still want to know why this happened.

BrennanJarchow, May 24, 2016
  3. File explorer right click blank slots on drop down menu.

Hi Brennan,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

• Do you see any error code or error message on the screen?

I would suggest you to create a new user account and check.

• Press Windows key +
      R
      to open RUN box

• Type control userpasswords2 and press
      OK

• Under User Account window and under
      Users tab, click Add tab

• Under How will this person sign-in windows, click the option at the bottom
      Sign in without a Microsoft account (not recommended)

• On the next window click Local Account
      at the bottom

• Choose a user name (use password if you want to or you can leave the password section blank as it is just to test)

• Click Next and then click
      Finish

• As you click Finish, the previous User Accounts
      window remains on the screen

• Select newly created user and click Properties

• Click Group Membership tab

• Click to select Administrator and click
      Other and select Administrator
      from drop-down menu

• Click Apply and then click
      OK
    Check if it resolves the issue.

Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, May 24, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Windows Explorer Right Click - reducing items in Drop Down

Hello, you are looking for a context menu editor.

There are several around, some which let you add almost anything, some which let you move context menu items to a folder, and some which simply let you disable entries.

Shellexview (free) by Nirsofer is probably the most comprehensive one and lets you disable entries. Note it has a 32 bit option under Options which reveals more. I found there were still some I couldn't find. Do not disable MS context menu entries.. this can cause problems.

You may find simpler ones offered by e.g. Glary Utilities and similar suites easier, but these don't list all.

You can often disable context menu entries from within the program that added them.

dalchina, May 24, 2016
  5. Thanks dalchina for the prompt response - never come across Shellexview but after finding the following youtube link it sounds like it will be of great assistance.
    I'm new to this forum but when I paste the http link to the youtube it converts & gives the title of the youtube video, something I'm sure can be overcome with some of the forum editor options, any way for the benefit of others who read this post search for this link on youtube for example of using Shellexview
    Fixing Windows Explorer Crashes in Windows by Majorgeeks.com - YouTube

Ray Bright, May 24, 2016
  6. McrRed Win User
    Ccleaner will also do the job. Startup=>tools I think

McrRed, May 24, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Here's the link to Nirsoft's site for Shellexview.
    ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows

Besides simply disabling extensions, you can of course use this sort of tool to try to determine if a particular badly written extension is crashing explorer, for example, or slowing the context menu display, as your video shows.

CFI Shelltoys offers another approach, not now supported, apparently still not free. I recall it offers a 'Rarely used' category into which you can place... yes .. rarely used shell extensions. You need to enable that via Settings. Of course it adds a couple or so extensions! Said to be 'Windows All' - long time since I used it.
    ShellToys (64-Bit bit) - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows Explorer Right Click - reducing items in Drop Down

1. Windows Explorer Right Click - reducing items in Drop Down - Similar Threads - Explorer Right Click

2. Right click and drop down menus not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right click and drop down menus not working: Hi I need help.It all started with the fact that when i right click on a file not rename it, the whole file explorer will crash.Its now gotten worse, i can no longer click on anything from a drop down menu or right click menu. It pops up but nothing opens up when i click on a...
  3. Right click and drop down menus not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right click and drop down menus not working: Hi I need help.It all started with the fact that when i right click on a file not rename it, the whole file explorer will crash.Its now gotten worse, i can no longer click on anything from a drop down menu or right click menu. It pops up but nothing opens up when i click on a...
  4. File explorer shutting down on right click

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File explorer shutting down on right click: File explorer has started shutting down when I right click any folder in the left pane!! Any ideas why this is happening is much appreciated. TIA...
  5. Right click drop down menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right click drop down menu: The drop down menu does not appear when I right click. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/right-click-drop-down-menu/7bb6b060-3386-4c4e-b3e0-402174ae3533
  6. Right Click Items in Quick Access Crashes Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Right Click Items in Quick Access Crashes Explorer: When right clicking on items in quick access, explorer crashes. - I have cleared file explorer history. - I have removed unchecked "show frequently used folders in quick access" - When I start explorer via CMD (right click > Run as Administrator) then I can right click...
  7. Drop down menu after right click

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drop down menu after right click: What I see a strange problem since last many days in my laptop is: When ever I right click and select anything from dropdown menu then menu opens left side every time. It should always open right side. It should open on left side only if space is not available. My laptop...
  8. Right click on Windows Explorer items cause crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Right click on Windows Explorer items cause crashing: I know this has been asked before and I tried using the solutions in this forums. Interestingly, I used ShellExView from Nirsoft and started by disabling every non-microsoft shell extension. It solved the problem. However, I enabled all the items again, and funny enough the...
  9. Right Click to New drop down is delayed or lagging

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Right Click to New drop down is delayed or lagging: Best way to describe it is whenever you right click to go to new drop down it delays/takes awhile to load, i thought this was my machine but i confirmed it with my coworker too so it must be a windows update here is a gif of what i'm...
  10. Right clicking and drop down lists are delayed/slow

in Windows 10 Support
    Right clicking and drop down lists are delayed/slow: Hi guys, I have a problem where right clicking and trying to open drop downs (i think called context menus). There is often a huge delay and unresponsiveness, but not crashes. In the video you'll see me try to open windows, and right clicking the sound icon, which opens...