Windows 10: Windows Explorer - search file contents?

Discus and support Windows Explorer - search file contents? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I hate to point out something Mac does better, but... when I do a regular system search for a string, like "Events data updates every 2... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/kirkbross, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Windows Explorer - search file contents?

I hate to point out something Mac does better, but... when I do a regular system search for a string, like "Events data updates every 2 mintues.\nSeconds since last" OS X will pull up every file with that exact string in its contents.

When I try to search something like that on Windows I just get a bunch of Bing results. Ugh. BTW, I'm talking about the main large search field at the lower left, next to the Windows icon / Start.

I have 6 drives and they're all indexed and find searching spotty at best. How can I search file contents of all my drives at once in Windows 10?

submitted by /u/kirkbross
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/kirkbross, Mar 15, 2021

2. Search Content of MHT files

Hi David,

Most probably, this is a problem with the search and indexing of your Windows 10 computer. For us to provide the best resolution possible, we would like to clarify the following:

• Are you trying to search the content of MHT files using Cortana?
    • Have you tried searching it using the File Explorer?
    • Are you using a third-party app to search for the content of MHT files?

As an initial troubleshooting step, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for search and indexing. To run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems.
    • Select Search and Indexing and click Run the troubleshooter.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Gerard Qui, Mar 15, 2021
  3. dalchina Win User
    File Explorer won't search contents of files - Windows 10 Anniversary

Hi, have you checked the files are actually selected in Indexing Options? I.e. the folders containing them are indexed?

This is the clue:

• If you're still unable to search file contents, try:

1. Open Windows Explorer
    2. Right-click the folder you want to search, e.g. My Documents
    3. Click: Properties
    4. On the General tab, Click: Advanced
    5. On the Advanced Attributes dialog, select:

[x] Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties
    6. Click: OK
    7. Click: OK

Personally I avoid explorer search as far as possible, and use
    Locate32
    Utrasearch does the same job, with a modern GUI, better than Everything.
    However, these don't index content.
    Locate32 adds a file content search for some types.

dalchina, Mar 15, 2021
  4. Windows Explorer - search file contents?

setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Mar 15, 2021
Thema:

Windows Explorer - search file contents?

1. Windows Explorer - search file contents? - Similar Threads - Explorer search file

2. File Explorer search does not work to search file contents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer search does not work to search file contents: File Explorer search does not work to search file contents.The folder is indexed and indexing completed successfully and shows the expected number of indexed files.I've got "Allow files in theis folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" checked in...
  3. File Explorer search does not work to search file contents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer search does not work to search file contents: File Explorer search does not work to search file contents.The folder is indexed and indexing completed successfully and shows the expected number of indexed files.I've got "Allow files in theis folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" checked in...
  4. File Explorer search does not work to search file contents

in Cortana
  5. Windows 10 File Explorer Content Search Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 File Explorer Content Search Not Working: I frequently need to import a folder hierarchy into Windows 10 then do a content search on the files in it.I then place the top level folder within File Explorer Indexing Options Included locations.The files within the top level folder all respond to a content search but none...
  6. Windows Explorer not searching docx file contents

in Cortana
    Windows Explorer not searching docx file contents: Hi all,Recently Windows Explorer stopped finding .docx files when I search for a specific word. I know that these files contain the words that I am searching for, and I have tried lots of things:"Search in file contents" is enabled.docx files are set to have names and...
  7. Windows Explorer not searching docx file contents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer not searching docx file contents: Hi all,Recently Windows Explorer stopped finding .docx files when I search for a specific word. I know that these files contain the words that I am searching for, and I have tried lots of things:"Search in file contents" is enabled.docx files are set to have names and...
  8. Windows Explorer not searching docx file contents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. File Explorer Search for File Content

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search for File Content: I wanted to share this information with others because I have not seen it provided. I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 and I found that when I did a file search in file explorer, I could not find files based on a search of a word in the text of the file's content. I...
  10. File Explorer doesn't search on file contents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer doesn't search on file contents: I can't get File Explorer to search on file contents using Windows 10 Pro. I have checked all the search settings I am aware of without success....