Windows 10: Windows Explorer search - find the exact match

Discus and support Windows Explorer search - find the exact match in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm serching for files that has the 1 appended to the name If I enter "1" the search returns all files that has "1" in the name. How to turn off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jozsef Szasz-Fabian, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Windows Explorer search - find the exact match

I'm serching for files that has the 1 appended to the name

If I enter "1" the search returns all files that has "1" in the name.

How to turn off this annoying behavior?

:)

Jozsef Szasz-Fabian, Mar 28, 2020

2. File Explorer search results show non-exact matches

When searching in File Explorer, the term 'm990-03-02' returns two files:

1) M990-03-02

2) M990-02-03

Why is -02-03 appearing?

I tried to wrap the search term in double quotes ("m990-03-02") however both files still appear in the search results.

Is there a setting to control the matching?

Win10, 1809 17763.379

Thanks

rjcousineau, Mar 28, 2020
  3. setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Mar 28, 2020
  4. Windows Explorer search - find the exact match

File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Mar 28, 2020
Thema:

Windows Explorer search - find the exact match

1. Windows Explorer search - find the exact match - Similar Threads - Explorer search find

2. Is it normal for search in Windows Explorer to not return a file name that matches the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it normal for search in Windows Explorer to not return a file name that matches the...: This post is a test to find out how image posting works https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-normal-for-search-in-windows-explorer-to-not/ac2da1a1-9d3d-47fa-80ac-43605938700e
  3. Is it normal for search in Windows Explorer to not return a file name that matches the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it normal for search in Windows Explorer to not return a file name that matches the...: This post is a test to find out how image posting works https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-normal-for-search-in-windows-explorer-to-not/ac2da1a1-9d3d-47fa-80ac-43605938700e
  4. Is it normal for search in Windows Explorer to not return a file name that matches the...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Searching for exact strings with Windows Explorer

in Cortana
    Searching for exact strings with Windows Explorer: This used to work really well for me until an update and now new computer. It hasn't worked well since, but now it's not working at all. I thought it used to work by putting a single quote around the string for which I wanted to search. I have a folder with Word files....
  6. Windows Explorer search not finding matching results when it should

Windows Explorer search not finding matching results when it should: I just fresh installed Windows 10 and I'm already having problems with File Explorer. Why doesn't it find files even though they exist? In this example, I'm in a folder with a file called "00177.MTS", you can see it clearly exists. But if I search this folder for 177 or...
  7. How to search for exact match in file contents?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to search for exact match in file contents?: Is it possible to specify an exact match when searching for text within the contents of files? I am trying to use the search bar in the upper right corner of Windows Explorer to search for an exact text string in a folder full of PDFs and have tried the following methods...
  8. exact search

in Windows 10 Support
    exact search: i saw another thread with similar problems,but i need to search "( .)",not (.) ["space point" not only "point"].when i make my search,i find all files with (.).how can i find the exact match? 150465
  9. File Explorer search results show non-exact matches

File Explorer search results show non-exact matches: When searching in File Explorer, the term 'm990-03-02' returns two files: 1) M990-03-02 2) M990-02-03 Why is -02-03 appearing? I tried to wrap the search term in double quotes ("m990-03-02") however both files still appear in the search results. Is there a setting...
  10. Windows 10 search not finding "Best Match"

in Cortana
    Windows 10 search not finding "Best Match": Within the last couple of days, Windows search Best Match has become defective. For instance, when I used to type "scree", my screenshots folder would be at the top of the best match results. Now I type "scree", and it gives me the Best Match of Screenshot (181).png, and it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. search in windows explorer exact

2. file explorer turn off exact match

3. search for exact match in windows explorer

4. windows search exact match